Author Topic: A Norfolk Southern Z Scale Layout  (Read 3210 times)

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1325
Re: A Norfolk Southern Z Scale Layout
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2019, 02:01:50 AM »
If you plan to keep the locos together, especially if they'll stay on the layout, you can try adding jumper cables between them.  I did that with quite a few N scale locos before flywheels became common.  Use very fine, flexible, wire, and run it through the pilots, and it looks enough like MU cables to not look out of place.
N Kalanaga
Be well

Kuchler10

• Crew
  • If it didn't move coal, it wasn't cool
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2019, 01:57:03 PM »
That's an interesting idea. I don't think I want to keep units together because I would like to mix up consists. I do think that I need to feed power to as many places as I can for a better distribution of power, though. That should help smooth out the pickup and reduce the jerking motion that was loosening the connections between cars.
Don't know what I'm modeling today, won't know what I'm modeling tomorrow

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1069
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2019, 11:53:55 PM »
Hmm, watching the video it looks like the tracks have humps at the joints. That could be why you're hoppers are uncoupling. Would running a file over the joints maybe lessen that?
-Al

jargonlet

• Crew
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2019, 08:40:44 PM »
Hmm, watching the video it looks like the tracks have humps at the joints. That could be why you're hoppers are uncoupling. Would running a file over the joints maybe lessen that?

I agree. Z scale is more susceptible to uneven track. I had no problem keeping them coupled on my old z scale layout. Well after I got all of the track even. I also used feeders about every foot. Things were nice and smooth even up a 2% grade.