Author Topic: Big Rapido Announcement Today  (Read 9397 times)

rapidotrains

• Crew
  • Respect: +265
Re: Big Rapido Announcement Today
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2019, 11:22:57 AM »
@rapidotrains, @rapidomike, Quick question: will the Park cars have interchangeable drumheads, so we can use them on the Dominion too? I didn't see any mention of this, so was just wondering... :)

Good idea!

The drumhead is moulded on. But I will see if we can offer alternative clear plastic inserts as an add-on item.

-Jason

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2019, 11:54:40 AM »
Super cool on the Canadian. 8)

Will parts be available for the FP9s? The winterization "housing" on the CN units look pretty close to the Wabash (GMD) F7s and I need one for an N&W unit.  :D

Mark
Mark,
Not to steal a potential sale from Jason on a spare part that might be available sometime next year, but have you looked at the various hatches available from Miniatures by Eric?  I can't say he makes the specific one you are looking for, but he has GP and F unit hatches in several sizes. (in his alphabetized system, they are listed under H for hatch, not W for winterization).  I used them on my GTW GP-9s, very nice and come with very fine mesh brass screen.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2019, 12:05:34 PM »
Mark,
Not to steal a potential sale from Jason on a spare part that might be available sometime next year, but have you looked at the various hatches available from Miniatures by Eric?  I can't say he makes the specific one you are looking for, but he has GP and F unit hatches in several sizes. (in his alphabetized system, they are listed under H for hatch, not W for winterization).  I used them on my GTW GP-9s, very nice and come with very fine mesh brass screen.

Yes, thanks - I even have some bells from Eric. But on the hatch thing, the photo is pretty lousy but it looks like the wrong type:

https://www.miniaturesbyeric.com/collections/n-scale-parts-a-to-h/products/nh2-winter-hatch-f-units

Mark

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2019, 12:20:16 PM »
@rapidotrains, @rapidomike

Big question here.... will you make other F40PH engines as well? Kato never made Phase I or II units, and never made the non-dynamic brake versions in use on commuter roads.

Obviously I'm thinking of the MBTA engines, of which I would purchase 3 or more if available.

I'm really glad to see the CP FP9... I love those roof mounted lights. The engine was the inspiration for my Explorer build in college:
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +993
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2019, 01:57:16 PM »
One more question - which cars are included in the "10-car Canadian" set?   Presumably 1-each of Park, diner and baggage-dorm, but beyond that - how many each of coach, dome-coach, Manor, Chateau and Skyline cars?  I can't find that information on the web site.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 02:32:38 PM by nickelplate759 »
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

CNR5529

• Crew
  • Respect: +623
    • My Shapeways Store
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2019, 02:12:17 PM »
Good idea!

The drumhead is moulded on. But I will see if we can offer alternative clear plastic inserts as an add-on item.

-Jason

Awesome, thanks!
Because why not...

rapidotrains

• Crew
  • Respect: +265
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2019, 06:18:07 PM »
One more question - which cars are included in the "10-car Canadian" set?   Presumably 1-each of Park, diner and baggage-dorm, but beyond that - how many each of coach, dome-coach, Manor, Chateau and Skyline cars?  I can't find that information on the web site.

We'll have to add that to the site. From the newsletter:

• Baggage-Dormitory
  • Coach (set includes two)
  • Skyline - Dome-Coach or Dome-Coffee Shop
  • Diner
  • Chateau Sleeper - 4 sections, 8 duplex roomettes, 3 bedrooms, 1 drawing room (set includes two)
  • Manor Sleeper - 4 sections, 4 roomettes, 5 bedrooms, 1 compartment (set includes two)
  • Park Car - Dome-Sleeper-Lounge-Observation

-Jason

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
  • Respect: +153
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2019, 07:00:55 PM »
Are the announced prices in Canadian or US dollars?

Doug

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2019, 11:22:08 PM »
Brass wheels?

rapidomike

• Crew
  • Respect: +14
    • Rapido Trains
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2019, 10:55:29 AM »
Is there any information on the expected delivery timelines?  It would help me plan and budget.

Here's my problem - there's so much cool stuff that Rapido has announced recently that I would like!   Horizon cars, the Canadian, the F40s and even an LRC.   At about $70(US)/car it's pretty expensive stuff - I'm not complaining that this is unreasonable (it's very reasonable, based on what I've seen from previous Rapido products) - but I certainly can't afford it all at once.   

I'd like to be able to estimate when I should expect to spend what for me is a substantial part of my annual hobby budget.

@nickelplate759 , We'll be updating our delivery schedule page later today. We are planning to stagger the delivery of these products, as we don't expect anyone to be able to pay for it all at the same time! We don't require any money up front (except for a $1 processing fee to capture your credit card), so you can order away knowing that each product will show up at different times.

Before I update the page, here is our current delivery schedule. Keep in mind that this will likely change:
  • N Scale The Canadian & FP9 Locomotives: August 2020
  • N Scale LRC Coaches & F40PH-2Ds: May 2020

rapidomike

• Crew
    • Rapido Trains
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2019, 10:57:34 AM »
Super cool on the Canadian. 8)

Will parts be available for the FP9s? The winterization "housing" on the CN units look pretty close to the Wabash (GMD) F7s and I need one for an N&W unit.  :D

Mark

@Mark5 , There is a very good chance of this since we have done the same in HO, but it hasn't been officially planned yet.

rapidomike

• Crew
    • Rapido Trains
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2019, 11:04:05 AM »

@nickelplate759 ,
  • 1 Baggage
  • 2 Coaches
  • 1 Skyline (Mid-train dome)
  • 1 Diner
  • 2 Chateau Sleepers
  • 2 Manor Sleepers
  • 1 Park Car

On the order page, I've changed the product links so that instead of "add to cart" you need to click "more info". When you click More Info, you will see the car names and numbers of each set. (https://rapidotrains.com/products/n-scale/complete-trains/the-canadian/order-now)

rapidomike

• Crew
    • Rapido Trains
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2019, 11:05:58 AM »
Are the announced prices in Canadian or US dollars?

Doug

@BCR751 , Pricing is the same in USD and CAD. Currency is dependent on where the product is ordered from.

rapidomike

• Crew
    • Rapido Trains
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2019, 11:06:39 AM »
Brass wheels?

@OldEastRR , Nickel-plated stainless steel.

rapidomike

• Crew
    • Rapido Trains
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2019, 11:08:17 AM »
@rapidotrains, @rapidomike

Big question here.... will you make other F40PH engines as well? Kato never made Phase I or II units, and never made the non-dynamic brake versions in use on commuter roads.

Obviously I'm thinking of the MBTA engines, of which I would purchase 3 or more if available.

I'm really glad to see the CP FP9... I love those roof mounted lights. The engine was the inspiration for my Explorer build in college:

@daniel_leavitt2000 , It's definitely a possibility someday, however we don't currently have anything planned.