Author Topic: Atlas 'Transfer' caboose with road names applied..  (Read 2594 times)

Ntrainz1

• Crew
  • Respect: +87
    • blog
Re: Atlas 'Transfer' caboose with road names applied..
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2019, 09:25:18 PM »
Factory PRR

Bob.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2019, 09:41:17 PM »
Who remembers the N Scale mag article describing hacking up a Santa Fe caboose to build something resembling a center cupola Northeast style?  I did one for my fledgling WM fleet, long lost to the mists of time...  You needed two cars to get one, because the first thing you had to do was cut the two narrow SF cupolas together to make a reasonable facsimile of the wider Northeast variety...  It was serviceable, but that article, probably published in 85 or 86, came out not long before Lifelike introduced their reasonably good model of a WM prototype caboose...

Build it, and the manufacturers will follow...  The beat goes on...

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2019, 09:46:59 PM »

I scratched bashed a transfer style caboose using the SF car frame and steps, making the carbody out of Evergreen stock, with the salvaged car ends to provide the necessary end detail.  It held up for a long time, but ultimately got busted up during a move.  Maybe I'll build me a new one...  I was inspired to do that one by a car I stumbled across in the wild... working a local on the Winchester branch south of Martinsburg when Conrail was still running it, around 1983. 

Sadly the photos have evaporated...

Lee

Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2019, 11:23:38 AM »
Who remembers the N Scale mag article describing hacking up a Santa Fe caboose to build something resembling a center cupola Northeast style?  I did one for my fledgling WM fleet, long lost to the mists of time...  You needed two cars to get one, because the first thing you had to do was cut the two narrow SF cupolas together to make a reasonable facsimile of the wider Northeast variety...  It was serviceable, but that article, probably published in 85 or 86, came out not long before Lifelike introduced their reasonably good model of a WM prototype caboose...

Build it, and the manufacturers will follow...  The beat goes on...

Lee

Underframe needs to be hacked up to get the correct truck spacing for an ATSF caboose