Author Topic: Anyone Pull a Motor Out of an Atlas N S2?  (Read 1194 times)

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +830
Anyone Pull a Motor Out of an Atlas N S2?
« on: June 21, 2019, 02:30:50 PM »
Trying to figure out why my sound-equipped S2 stopped running. Ran it for the first time in a couple weeks and it was being herky-jerky at low speeds, especially when it first stated moving like it was hanging up on something. tried another automatic BEMF adjustment and now the loco won't run at all. reset all of the BEMF-related back to where (I think) they were before. Motor still won't do anything except hum a little and maybe move slightly if I nudge a flywheel. Can't seem to get the decoder to reset as per other thread but I think something happened to the motor itself, so I want to pull it out for further testing. Anyone pull a motor out of one of these? There seems to be some sort of interlocking pieces where the motor mount inserts into the frame that I'm not familiar with and I don't want to just start pulling up on the motor for fear of damaging something.

Interesting side note...I noticed that one of these interlocking pieces is a little mangled/misshapen as it sits in the frame and the motor is not sitting quite level as a result, causing the worm on one end to miss the top truck gear entirely. Never noticed this before and it never seemed to cause a problem, even though I realize now that apparently only one truck has been powered all this time.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 04:04:35 PM by GaryHinshaw »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Anyone Pull a Motor Out of an Atlas N S2?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 02:36:18 PM »
I'm pretty sure I took this model apart (which is what I do with most new models I acquire). But that was several years ago, when I first got it, and I don't recall the details now.  Sorry!
. . . 42 . . .

tehachapifan

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 02:49:23 PM »
Thanks, Peteski. I was hoping maybe you did and had some intel on this and maybe the particulars on this motor, which appears different from the standard motor. Not sure if this one has brushes or not.

This loco, while a few years old now, has pretty low run time on it. Hard to imagine what could've happened if it is indeed the motor, except the automatic adjustment applies pretty high power to the motor for second or two.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 02:51:56 PM by tehachapifan »

dmidkiff

• Crew
  • Respect: +125
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 03:07:03 PM »
I've taken a couple apart to repaint, they are a pain if you want to paint the frame.

I do remember there are interlocking tabs of some sort that can be slid horizontally on the bottom of the frame. Once those move, the motor should pull up off the frame. If I remember correctly, those sliding tabs are separate pieces of the motor mount and will fall out...

I'm sorry, I don't have photos or a model to get photos. But I do remember it took me a while to figure out how the darn thing came out as well.

Not much, but I hope it helps.

Doug

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 03:47:35 PM »
Thanks, Peteski. I was hoping maybe you did and had some intel on this and maybe the particulars on this motor, which appears different from the standard motor. Not sure if this one has brushes or not.

I don't think it is a coreless motor.

Update:  I just checked Spookshow's write-up (we should visit there much more often  :) ) and certainly does not look like a coreless motor.
http://spookshow.net/loco/atlass2.html
. . . 42 . . .

tehachapifan

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 12:51:26 AM »
I've taken a couple apart to repaint, they are a pain if you want to paint the frame.

I do remember there are interlocking tabs of some sort that can be slid horizontally on the bottom of the frame. Once those move, the motor should pull up off the frame. If I remember correctly, those sliding tabs are separate pieces of the motor mount and will fall out...

I'm sorry, I don't have photos or a model to get photos. But I do remember it took me a while to figure out how the darn thing came out as well.

Not much, but I hope it helps.

Doug

Thanks! Yeah, those interlocking pieces really have me scratching my head. Can't visualize a way that they might unlock.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 01:09:55 AM by tehachapifan »

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2019, 04:36:24 AM »
I don't have my model handy, but looking at the Spookshow's photo, you will need to remove the decoder, then there is a metal wire clip on the top which likely has to be removed.  Then maybe the clips will just fall out?

. . . 42 . . .