Author Topic: Rokuhan Switch to Code 40 Flex Tie Adapters  (Read 5669 times)

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +743
Re: Rokuhan Switch to Code 40 Flex Tie Adapters
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2019, 07:01:28 PM »
Until I get around to making short Nn3 Code 40 turnouts, the only choices I'm aware of are, 1) adapt as this does, 2)homebuild, or 3) nothing. ;)

GOOD NEWS! @peteski  :D  (and @randgust) ;)   The first one, the hardest one, is well underway!  And they will be replacing the bumpy running and cosmetically challenged, disguised turnouts that I had installed on my test board.  Those tested the Rokuhan adapter parts and as such were a success but the more I looked at them, code 60, the razor thin stamped steel straight point rails), :facepalm: molded tie bed, etc, I just HAD to yank them.  8)

Here's a progress photo showing the first of several sizes of Nn3 (Z too) Code 40 RTR turnouts. What's in the picture is the tie bed with several pieces of scrap Code 40 rail installed to check general assembly fit and gauging of rails and guard rails as well as a bed without rails, a length of Code 40 assembled track that the turnout will mate with, and the smallest Rokuhan turnout as removed from my test board. The fits and gauging are excellent!

This turnout is equivalent to the Rokuhan 55mm Z, Code 60, molded tie bed turnout. You'll notice the extra length which was done to help make laying track easier but the last two ties at each end run straight and can be be trimmed for any super tight installations or to duplicate the Rokuhan laying length dimensions.  It's intended for narrow gauge 4 wheeled locos and rolling stock especially.  Planned are #4, #6, and maybe #8 or larger depending on demand. I'm also considering stub switches including 3-way for narrow gauge stuff. It's part of completing the whole Code 40 track system for Narrow Gauge as well as Code 40 Z, which will require only a change to tie spacing.

Next step, when I get back from my vacation (again) ;) is to complete any detail adjustments and then make the fixtures for accurate machining of the frog parts, point rails, etc. Accurate machined components will make for a very smooth running, repeatable turnout, akin to (properly) hand laid using fixtures.  It also affords very pleasing prototypical appearance. I am still working on automatic operation and frog powering with manual operation. :cool:

I chose this turnout for my first because it's very applicable for my narrow gauge mine track applications but also because it is the hardest one to make due to the diminutive size but especially because it's radiused (4 1/2") through the whole diverging route requiring the frog to have a radius on that leg. The Rokuhan uses straight point rails and frogs against a continuous radius on the stock rail which causes gauge fluctuations and abrupt direction changes at each of those points and is part of the reason they are bumpy running as well as cosmetically lacking. Due to the design and precise execution trains should glide through these turnout designs quite nicely.  :)

Here's a sniff: :D

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 01:41:26 AM by narrowminded »
Mark G.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4590
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2019, 07:55:40 PM »
Your turnout looks really good Mark!  Much better than the Rokuhan one (even though by now, especially after you did all the work on it, it sort of grew on me). :-)  The BIC lighter provides a good size reference (even thought I don't smoke).

But looking at it, I assume that yours is not yet complete (looks like the diverging route point is missing, and the frog will not work for a straight route).
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 07:57:52 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

narrowminded

• Crew
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2019, 01:31:06 AM »
Your turnout looks really good Mark!  Much better than the Rokuhan one (even though by now, especially after you did all the work on it, it sort of grew on me). :-)  The BIC lighter provides a good size reference (even thought I don't smoke).

But looking at it, I assume that yours is not yet complete (looks like the diverging route point is missing, and the frog will not work for a straight route).

Thanks, Pete. :)  That was just a progress report post.  Those rails are scraps installed to check the tie bed fit, gauging, etc. as outlined in that post.  The fits so far are all pretty perfect, holding that .262" target dimension very satisfactorily so now it's on to the fixtures for machining the actual rail components and finalizing all details.  I'm still pondering frog powering methods and switch machine operation with a few ideas but nothing final.  And another couple of weeks vacation is going to cause this to be delayed at least that long.  :)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 01:35:55 AM by narrowminded »
Mark G.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4590
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2019, 08:49:31 AM »
+1
And another couple of weeks vacation is going to cause this to be delayed at least that long.  :)

Vacations: what a horrible  torture those are!  :D
. . . 42 . . .

strummer

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2019, 11:39:53 AM »
That looks great; if you can do that based on the Rokuhan turnout, is it then possible to fabricate a turnout of larger size, like a #8 or even 10? Or do you need the "pre-bent" rails from the Rokuhan?

I ask this because when Atlas announced their Z scale turnouts, I imagine there were some hoping for larger sizes than a #6...

Mark in Oregon

narrowminded

• Crew
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2019, 02:54:22 PM »
+1
That looks great; if you can do that based on the Rokuhan turnout, is it then possible to fabricate a turnout of larger size, like a #8 or even 10? Or do you need the "pre-bent" rails from the Rokuhan?

I ask this because when Atlas announced their Z scale turnouts, I imagine there were some hoping for larger sizes than a #6...

Mark in Oregon

Thanks Mark. 8)  I really appreciate that interest and those comments from folks at this level especially in light of all of the work that has gone into developing these Nn3 items. 8) 

It is my intention to make other turnout sizes and that's mentioned in the third paragraph of the first turnout post above.  I expect #4, 6 and 8 but could be additional sizes and types if the demand was there.   And I do make all of the parts in house including the rail bending (it's Micro-Engineering purchased rail).  There is a pic and description earlier in this thread of the rail bending tool I made and that's followed a post or two later with a video of that tool in use laying track.  Here's a link to that post. https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=46808.msg614251#msg614251 

To start with, Rokuhan is the wrong code (code 60?) but also the rest of the guts such as the frog and point rails, etc. wouldn't be usable cosmetically nor for the performance level I'm seeking.  Glass smooth like a properly built hand laid turnout is what I'm after BUT... assembled and ready to run.   8)

All that I have immediate plans to make at this point are code 40 track and components.  I'm unaware of any code 40 RTR turnouts in any scale from any manufacturer.  This is especially true in Nn3 where no proper narrow gauge track with proper tie spacing exists, much less any turnouts, code 40 or otherwise.  This is part of how I decided I had to make my own to go with the little chassis I've developed.  Atlas Z is code 55, Rokuhan is about code 60 (measures .063"), and I'm not sure what Marklin and the others are except to say they are larger.  And once I've started it won't be too big of a leap to make these with Z tie spacing as it's just a tie spacing and maybe length change. 

What could happen in the future or based on demand, is to make a code 55 series to go with other track, or even better, code 40 in N scale, but right now that would have to take a back seat as I still have a LOT to do for the Nn3 stuff.  But...  :facepalm: if there's a specific need send me a PM with what it is and maybe some priorities could be shifted.  Such a contact would be welcome as I am bound to learn some needs and "things" from it. :)

Edit add:  I will be on vacation for the next couple of weeks so if contact is attempted the responses may be slower than you or I might like.  But they will be welcome. :) 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 03:34:00 PM by narrowminded »
Mark G.

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1252
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2019, 04:58:11 AM »
Vacations: what a horrible  torture those are!  :D

Ain't that the truth! I agree 100%! :)

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore