Author Topic: Woodland Scenics Deep Pour Water  (Read 3093 times)

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2035
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
Re: Woodland Scenics Deep Pour Water
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2019, 01:56:56 PM »
I did the Hickory Valley log pond way back in about 1976 with clear casting paper weight resin, worked great.   So I thought I knew what I was doing when I went to attack the Hickory Bridge T-trak module.

I did the entire thing with Michaels castin' craft resin, which is some of the stinkiest stuff imaginable as well as exothermic; the pour was 1/4 x 10 x 34 inches so that's a LOT of material.

What a disaster that was.   First, it started to ripple... then it broke loose from the bottom and look 'silvered', well... I can live with that...then it shrank and split right at the bridge piers.    I panicked and ripped the stuff out before it got worse as it was still warm and a little soft, in the process, ruined the carefully painted plaster bottom.   Took several weeks to repair all the damage and redo it for another shot.

This time I used Deep Pour.... about 2 1/2 bottles worth to do the same depth, and that was now over two years ago.    It worked GREAT.   It hasn't  warped, cracked or yellowed.   A lot of people have now seen this at Altoona.    So it's a hearty endorsement to say the least.  Since then I used it on the creek on the Trunkeyville module, and I'll be using it again.  It did what it was supposed to do and didn't stink up the place either.

The creek at Trunkeyville had the water effects ripples added:

I've got another log pond to do, and a creek, and I'll be using it again.   I never want to risk total failure of a final scenic detail like I did on the bridge again.   If that had hardened after it cracked I think I would have thrown the entire module out.

eja

• Crew
  • Respect: +198
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2019, 02:57:10 PM »
Pour away ... after all, it after 5:00 pm somewhere in the world.  :facepalm:

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2019, 03:03:55 PM »
Make sure that foam is completely sealed with something impermeable or you'll end up with little bubbles that grow with time.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2019, 04:03:48 PM »
Make sure that foam is completely sealed with something impermeable or you'll end up with little bubbles that grow with time.

Hmm.  I used Envirotex Lite in about a 1/4" pour on the former Virginia Central HCD layout probably about fifteen years ago.  I wonder if it has developed any bubbles, since the layout was built as 2" foam on a door.  But, if I remember correctly, most of the riverbed was on the door's surface, not the foam.  @RockGp40, any bubbles, yellowing or cracking today on the Iowa Central?

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2019, 05:34:10 PM »
Hmm.  I used Envirotex Lite in about a 1/4" pour on the former Virginia Central HCD layout probably about fifteen years ago.  I wonder if it has developed any bubbles, since the layout was built as 2" foam on a door.  But, if I remember correctly, most of the riverbed was on the door's surface, not the foam.  @RockGp40, any bubbles, yellowing or cracking today on the Iowa Central?

DFF

I can't speak for whether epoxy will develop bubbles over unsealed foam.  All I know is that the WS acrylic stuff does.  And it's only over extruded foam...remember the other discussion on my Colorado Midland thread where we discussed the possibility that this is due to foam outgassing.

RockGp40

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +269
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2019, 08:41:01 PM »
@davefoxx , negative. No bubbling.
No farms, no food. Support your local farmer's market!

I stand with Israel.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2019, 10:04:45 PM »
@davefoxx , negative. No bubbling.

Whew!  Thanks for the update.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

CRL

• Crew
  • Needs More Dirt.
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2019, 11:25:59 AM »
Do the bubbles develop within the poured material or between the poured material and the base?

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2019, 09:15:37 PM »
... I don't have a flat surface to work with.

Applicable to train layouts and women.
Peter Pfotenhauer