Author Topic: Horizon and Comet Cars in N & HO - Plus a lot more!  (Read 26332 times)

eja

• Crew
  • Respect: +198
Re: Horizon and Comet Cars in N & HO - Plus a lot more!
« Reply #210 on: November 05, 2021, 03:01:39 PM »
Yep.  Saw those ... I was hoping to see a side by side image if I could. 

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #211 on: November 05, 2021, 05:32:41 PM »
Yep.  Saw those ... I was hoping to see a side by side image if I could.

I suppose I can take a photo like that, but as I mentioned, they have identical bodies, only the livery and the trucks are different.  Actually the diaphragms are slightly different too.
. . . 42 . . .

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #212 on: November 05, 2021, 07:25:53 PM »
I don’t know what to tell you, on my layout the color looks just like I remember them mixed with Amfleet cars. I would take pictures but for some reason I am unable to post them right side up.  I don’t see the metallic flake at all.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #213 on: November 06, 2021, 01:28:27 AM »
I don’t know what to tell you, on my layout the color looks just like I remember them mixed with Amfleet cars. I would take pictures but for some reason I am unable to post them right side up.  I don’t see the metallic flake at all.

I posted photos of my cars and described what I see wrong with the paint. I have no doubts that your cars have the same exact finish.  We just have different standards. Plus, I still don't know what other Amtrak cars you are comparing the Horizon cars to.  Your layout lighting might also play a role in how these cars look.
. . . 42 . . .

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #214 on: November 06, 2021, 09:21:37 AM »
Not responsible for upside down pics or sideways.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #215 on: November 06, 2021, 09:27:07 AM »
The silver is a bit darker, maybe a little gray in the pictures.  I am about to leave with my wife so I grabbed them quickly and posted them while she is getting ready. I may try a better location on my layout.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #216 on: November 06, 2021, 11:26:43 AM »
Metallic silver is difficult to photograph, or compare in photos. I also believe thet both cars aroudn the HOrizon car woudl have been stainless stell, where Horizon is supposed to be dull aluminum color.  It would be interesting how a 1:1 photo of a Horizon and Amfleet car show both silver colors.

But in any case, if you're happy with the color, Rapido is happy with with your money, and that's what counts for you and for them.

I bought those cars (like most  cars we reserve and buy online) without seeing them in-person first, and I'm just reporting that to me (and few others here) the silver color is  not quite right.  Will I buy more? Yes, since nobody else makes them, and I want them bad enough to "hold my nose" as far as the silver paint is concerned, but I'm disappointed that Rapido messed up their color.  With Rapido always bragging about how much research they do, they should have paid more attention to their color.  Who knows, maybe the R&D people in Canada specified the correct silver paint, but manufacturing switched it at the last minute?  Who knows, but the end result is a wrong paint.
. . . 42 . . .

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #217 on: November 06, 2021, 12:34:13 PM »
I ordered two more so I have a nice 5-6 car train if I throw in a baggage car.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +717
« Reply #218 on: November 06, 2021, 12:39:59 PM »
+2
Metallic silver is difficult to photograph, or compare in photos. I also believe thet both cars aroudn the HOrizon car woudl have been stainless stell, where Horizon is supposed to be dull aluminum color.  It would be interesting how a 1:1 photo of a Horizon and Amfleet car show both silver colors.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #219 on: November 06, 2021, 01:34:48 PM »
One of the issues with aluminum sheathed cars, going back to the first large orders built by ACF after WWII, is that while the aluminum is bright and shiny on Day 1 out of the factory, it quickly looses the sheen, initially looking almost white, then "silver gray" and continuing to darken over time, unless given very frequent maintenance. Aluminum also scratches more readily than stainless steel, and dust will "sandblast" the finish to a matte in relatively short order. In the 50s, some roads removed aluminum fluted panels, while others painted the sides in a "aluminum white" (ie- light gray) color, or just gave up all together on trying to imitate stainless steel, like the L&N did when they painted their Hummingbird and Georgian cars dark blue.

So, if Rapido matched to builders photos, the brighter "silver" color might be close to correct (although the flecks that show in some close up photos are still questionable), while most prototype photos are going to show a weathered (gray) appearance, if taken more than a short time after delivery.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #220 on: November 06, 2021, 02:30:02 PM »
I do need Kato to bring out another run of F40PH units though. I only have one with ditch lights. I need a phase 3 without.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #221 on: November 06, 2021, 02:46:19 PM »
I can only see the metal flecks under flash or extreme direct light. Under normal layout lighting they look great.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

CBQ Fan

• Crew
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #224 on: November 06, 2021, 09:28:40 PM »
I do have two phase v Genesis engines. A quick look makes it appear the overlap could work. They weren’t around when I road it!
Brian

Way of the Zephyr