Author Topic: Overland Models AMD-103, original drive - worth Resurrecting?  (Read 965 times)

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +132
Re: Overland Models AMD-103, original drive - worth Resurrecting?
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2019, 03:51:19 PM »
My "Resurrection" projects all involve a model I already have that has some personal significance but is not runnable on a modern (for me this means code 55 rail and DCC) layout.  In some case (e.g. my Berkshire project) they aren't runnable at all.   They aren't efforts to get a model of a particular prototype. This AMD 103, for example, was a gift and also a reminder of travelling behind such engines;  it doesn't really have a place on an 1950s NKP-themed layout. 

The projects are also (re)engineering challenges that help me broaden my skills.   But most especially, they are fun to do.  If I don't think the project is fun, I don't do it (or don't finish it) - either model goes back in the box or I sell it.
George

NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

peteski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1782
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2019, 04:11:45 PM »
While I'm sure you can improve its running qualities, I don't think you'll be able to get rid of the whine.  The way the mechanism is designed with multiple gears meshing on the high-rpm (motor shaft) side cause the whine.  Normally, the worm is used on that part of the mechanism, with all the gears after the worm, running at much slower (less whiny) rpms.

To me the whine is actually part of the "charm" of this model. Makes it unique in my collection.  :)
--- Peteski de Snarkski
--- Honorary Resident Curmudgeon

ChristianJDavis1

• Crew
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2019, 04:27:49 PM »
you obviously have never been on the side of the road working on a 60 year old carburetor...but honestly,  I am trying to convince my dad to keep a Ford flathead in his 1940 Ford Coupe...he plans to swap in a 327 Chevy

Well, I wouldn’t be so quick to say that. I do a fair amount of the “small stuff” on my 54 Oldsmobile, with some of it being on the road (made even more fun when it’s at night). Hopefully your dad can see the light and will keep an original car original. Tell him they make kits for the “looks” of an old car without hurting an original of he so desires.

But back on topic, I am actually looking forward to this thread. I picked one up because it was always one of my favorites growing up, so maybe I can learn a thing or two to do to mine.
- Christian J. Davis

GhengisKong

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2019, 07:17:26 PM »
you obviously have never been on the side of the road working on a 60 year old carburetor...but honestly,  I am trying to convince my dad to keep a Ford flathead in his 1940 Ford Coupe...he plans to swap in a 327 Chevy

Tell him that it is blasphemous and the Chevrolet engines are garbage.

johnb

• Crew
  • Respect: +258
    • My blog
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2019, 08:09:20 PM »
+2
Well, I wouldn’t be so quick to say that. I do a fair amount of the “small stuff” on my 54 Oldsmobile, with some of it being on the road (made even more fun when it’s at night). Hopefully your dad can see the light and will keep an original car original. Tell him they make kits for the “looks” of an old car without hurting an original of he so desires.

But back on topic, I am actually looking forward to this thread. I picked one up because it was always one of my favorites growing up, so maybe I can learn a thing or two to do to mine.
not much is original...

49 Merc flathead bored out to 260CI
ported, polished, relieved and balanced
Iskenderian 3/4 cam
Johnson adjustable lifters
Lincoln Zephyr springs.
Edelbrock 8.5:1 heads
RARE Edelbrock 4 V intake manifold
Edelbrock 600 CFM carb.
Mallory dualpoint, centrifugal advance distributor.
Fenton cast iron headers
true dual exhaust, 2 inch pipe
4 speed Toploader trans with a 2.76 low gear and a jeep top cover shifter(no linkage)
10 1/2'" Borg & Beck clutch
9" ford differential with 3.25:1 gears
Mustang II front suspension and steering
4-wheel disc brakes, ladder bar 4 link rear suspension.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2019, 08:43:10 PM »
I'm loving this way-out-there thread drift.  :)
--- Peteski de Snarkski

FlyGuyB

• Respect: +2
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2019, 12:11:05 PM »
From Overland trains 1:160 to Ford vs Chevy cars 1:1 is a little more than a drift, almost a hijack! LOL

johnb

• Crew
  • Respect: +258
    • My blog
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2019, 12:21:05 PM »
+1
From Overland trains 1:160 to Ford vs Chevy cars 1:1 is a little more than a drift, almost a hijack! LOL
it was an easy highjacking

CRL

• Crew
  • Respect: +112
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2019, 12:51:39 PM »
+2
More like a carjacking.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2019, 01:49:56 PM »
George,  your interest in resurrecting your model made me revisit the info I had on my AMD-103.  I found some old photos I originally posted on the A-board.  I just posted it all in a new thread here: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=47265.0
--- Peteski de Snarkski