Author Topic: Union Pacific Caboose  (Read 1427 times)

carlso

• Crew
  • Respect: +176
Re: Union Pacific Caboose
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2019, 11:45:24 AM »

Bob,

Thank you, very much, for your nice in depth reply. Much appreciated by me as I know you are the " UP Source ".

Thank you again and I shall save as reference source.
Carl
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas
Southern New Mexico N Scalers, Las Cruces, New Mexico

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +942
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2019, 11:55:22 AM »
Oh, dear, we have poked the bear.  :facepalm:

... Amour Yellow ...

I know you love your UP cabooses, Bob, but... really?  :trollface:

you can get 3D printed outside swing-hanger trucks from Keystone Models, but they have roller bearings...which are incorrect for any U.P. steel caboose before 1964.

OK, then this: https://www.shapeways.com/product/XEZ4G2FRA/n-scale-up-friction-bearing-q-truck-2pk?optionId=61898526&li=marketplace

Nonetheless, Bob knows his UP cabeese.  :)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 11:57:43 AM by C855B »
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. We just don't tell anybody. -Bob Ross

AlbertSpor

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2019, 01:45:17 PM »
Bob,

Very nice tutorial.
I never tire of seeing your work on these models.

Thanks
Albert
Albert Spor

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +122
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2019, 04:39:09 PM »
I had a couple of OMI's CA-11's...the last caboose built specifically for the U.P. (a bay window design) and it captured the overall look of the prototype, but was pretty crude.  Since they were out of my era, I sold 'em and I never took a photo of 'em.

You mean Key, right?

-Mark

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +422
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2019, 07:50:09 PM »
Very clean and impressively seamless. I hope to get there someday! :D

Mark

Mark, I never know how "seamless" the car sides are until I paint it.  I use several sizes of thick steel straightedges to align the Styrene sheets with the surface of the car body's sheathing, and I attempt to make the seams in places they won't be so visible, such as at the corners, or like on this model, directly under the front edge of the cupola, which on the prototype was quite often stained by water run-off...hehe...giving me the opportunity to camouflage the seam with weathering!  :D

I find that taking it slow and double-checking everything with my Optivisor-enhanced eyeballs makes a big difference in the quality of my work...then if I'm not happy with the piece I've made...I toss it (without any regrets) and start over.

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore 

robert3985

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2019, 07:57:13 PM »
Oh, dear, we have poked the bear.  :facepalm:

I know you love your UP cabooses, Bob, but... really?  :trollface:

OK, then this: https://www.shapeways.com/product/XEZ4G2FRA/n-scale-up-friction-bearing-q-truck-2pk?optionId=61898526&li=marketplace

Nonetheless, Bob knows his UP cabeese.  :)

Mike, Yup...GRRRRRRRrrrr!!!

I hesitated to correct the misspelling "Amour" back to "Armour" because I really do love U.P. cabooses.  You got that entirely right!  :D

Thanks a million for this correction!!  I edited my post to reflect this added detail part, making getting U.P. cabooses exactly correct...especially now that IMR has chosen to degrade the quality and accuracy of their U.P. caboose trucks!

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

robert3985

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2019, 07:59:28 PM »
You mean Key, right?

-Mark

Thanks Mark for this correction!  No, I couldn't remember the manufacturer since it's been about eight years since I sold both of my CA-11's!  I edited my post and gave you credit.  :D

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2019, 08:25:57 PM »
... IMR ... degrade the quality and accuracy of their U.P. caboose trucks!

Totally a practical consideration, trading product satisfaction and operability for accuracy.

Several years back I had a lengthy conversation with [somebody] at Des Plaines Hobbies about the UP cabooses, since at the time they owned the tooling, i.e., pre-IMR. I was told the correct trucks were to be no longer in production, the next run would have MTL's then-new SP caboose trucks, and the underframe tooling was being modified to accommodate the MTL truck. The problem was the original kit 3-piece truck frames would fall apart if you breathed on them, and too many non-modeler modelers couldn't grasp the concept of hitting the joints with a soldering iron to spot-weld them. It wasn't cost-effective to retool a one-piece truck, so the choice was to continue suffering with the product support issue, sell RTR with the wrong truck, or not sell it at all. No ideal choice there, of course, but that's what was on the table.

I can confirm the fall-apart issue, several times over. :|

In any case, given John's ( @Lemosteam - Keystone Details) doing the three versions he has on Shapeways (solid bearings, and rollers with and without generator), it's easily correctable without a lot of work.
...mike

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. We just don't tell anybody. -Bob Ross

Albert in N

• Crew
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2019, 08:43:37 PM »
I got my Key brass UP caboose at a local train show a couple of years ago.  It is not new in the box like Mark's since it gets frequent use.  Those window bug screens on the side set it off!

spookshow

• Crew
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2019, 07:10:29 AM »
So, now I'm confused. Are the old Golden West trucks and the more recent Keystone Details trucks supposed to be the same prototype? They look different to me.

-Mark

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2019, 09:35:55 AM »
Interesting catch, Mark. They're supposed to be. Axle spacing on the 1:1 is 5'6". I loaned John samples of OMI and Hallmark trucks to verify against when he did the art for the SW versions, so I would tend to trust his. (The the swing hanger bolt on the SW truck is to be added by the user as it was not possible to execute consistently.)

I'll check when I get over to the shop later today.
...mike

spookshow

• Crew
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2019, 11:11:27 AM »
Ah, I get it. The missing swing hanger bolt confused me.

Thanks,
-Mark

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +1205
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2019, 11:41:22 AM »
Was thinking these might work, with some PB wire between them.  The FXD can handle the quick touch of a soldering iron.

https://model-motorcars.myshopify.com/collections/small-parts-hardware/products/nuts-06-mm-low-profile-brass-k067

or these, but the page does not describe how long the rivet is:

https://model-motorcars.myshopify.com/collections/small-parts-hardware/products/rivet-04-mm-head-diameter-brass-k069

carlso

• Crew
  • Respect: +176
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2019, 11:41:10 PM »

Thanks for all of the input, much appreciated. Being an SP person, I don't know much of anything about the UP.

In looking at images posted to this thread I see a "P" on most of the cabooses and I think that is a "Pool" designation. I was looking at the Calif Rail Museum and an article about UPP24567. What does the "S" designate. Is it for steel caboose? One thing for sure, I guess, I'll have to get some of Keystone's trucks.

Carl
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas
Southern New Mexico N Scalers, Las Cruces, New Mexico

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2019, 12:02:54 AM »
"S" = "Steam". Ex-CRI&P bay window set aside for the heritage program. It had radios and other head-end support for early steam operations before they got around to installing in the locos, and ran behind the tenders/water bottles.

Yes, "P" = "Pool". Had the multi-frequency radios previously mentioned plus crew-comfort upgrades.
...mike