Author Topic: Thursday Proto Photo, Jun 6/19  (Read 1557 times)

Lenny53

• Crew
  • Respect: +1560
Thursday Proto Photo, Jun 6/19
« on: June 06, 2019, 08:31:46 AM »
+3
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Thursday Proto Photo, Jun 6/19
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 12:10:24 PM »
+2
In honor of the demise of UI tower in Indianapolis.

From: http://railfanning.kapuscinski.net/2019/03/an-afternoon-in-indianapolis/

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 01:20:36 PM »
+1
In honor of the demise of UI tower in Indianapolis. ...

There is a rash of that going on - long-abandoned towers left undisturbed are suddenly seeing the business end of a bulldozer for some reason. A mainstay of Los Angeles transfer action, Hobart Tower, was razed just three weeks ago. Our own @MRLX1020 was supervising a PV run in and out of LAUPT. On the way in he caught this:

However, on the way out:

"Justin, interesting timing. I blame this on you."  :D  :facepalm:  :ashat:

This tower was on my radar for modeling on the layout. And this morning I discovered another one that I plan to model bit the dust a year ago, Grant Tower in Salt Lake City. Good thing Google archives their street views :(

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 02:17:27 PM »
+1
There is a rash of that going on - long-abandoned towers left undisturbed are suddenly seeing the business end of a bulldozer for some reason. A mainstay of Los Angeles transfer action, Hobart Tower, was razed just three weeks ago. Our own @MRLX1020 was supervising a PV run in and out of LAUPT. On the way in he caught this:

However, on the way out:

"Justin, interesting timing. I blame this on you."  :D  :facepalm:  :ashat:

This tower was on my radar for modeling on the layout. And this morning I discovered another one that I plan to model bit the dust a year ago, Grant Tower in Salt Lake City. Good thing Google archives their street views :(

"Precision scheduled demolition".

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 03:05:42 PM »
Did a little bit of digging... info from trainorders.com makes it apparent the timing of Hobart's demolition was because it was set on fire in April, evidently by squatters. It had been a nuisance for a long time - closed in 1999, I think - but there was no pressure to do anything since it was boxed-in by RR property, and being the shell was concrete, it was expensive to demo. Gutted by fire made it a safety problem.

I think a similar issue applied to Grant, although it was intact when demo'ed, even protected by fencing. It was brick or brick over concrete, with concrete slab floors and roof. Not land-locked, however, and recent development deemed the land too valuable.

RockGp40

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +274
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 01:06:43 PM »
+2
Few remnants remain of what was the Baltimore & Annapolis Railroad. I was engaged in a conversation on FB about it yesterday and seized an opportunity to take cell phone pictures of what I knew still exists today on an overtime assignment at the Jones Station Fire Station (redundant, but that is the name of the firehouse, presumably because of the railroad) in Arnold. It's main has long since been converted to rail trail, but the first picture shows the remains of the runaround track.

The second picture is the historical marker that faces the runaround.

No farms, no food. Support your local farmer's market!

I stand with Israel.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 03:20:41 PM »
I wished they put up markers like that along our bike trail.

packers#1

• Crew
  • Modern Shortline Modeler
  • Respect: +493
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 05:55:24 PM »
+1
My girlfriend and I dropped by the Tennessee Valley RR museum today since the hiking was going to be sketchy due to all the rain; here’s my favorite shot of 630 I got. Here they’ve turned her on the turntable for the trip back to Grand Junction.

Sawyer Berry
Clemson University graduate, c/o 2018
American manufacturing isn’t dead, it’s just gotten high tech

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +994
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2019, 07:05:31 PM »
+1
These PCC cars always seem to get their pictures posted when leaving the plant in PA after refurbishing.  Here's one in service on Market St. in San Francisco yesterday (June 6th):

George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

wes_sutton

• Crew
  • Respect: +450
    • http://www.users.bigpond.com/grms
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2019, 11:12:02 PM »
+4
Just over a week ago (31 May 2019) 111 years of railway history came to an end with closure of the Port Lincoln division of the former South Australian Railways. For most of its life the isolated government owned 1067mm (3'6") narrow gauge network was principally used for carrying grain; Genesee & Wyoming Australia took over the business in 1997. With bigger and bigger trucks on the road and the temptation to shift the infrastructure maintenance from the private to public sector, the remaining 700,000 tonnes of grain on rail will now go by road. Alcos 905/873/850 plus EMD 1203 combine to lift empty train #4AE1 from Port Lincoln to Cummins out of the dip near Wanilla on 27 March 2019. 

Going, going, gone......... by Bingley Hall, on Flickr

One last smoke by Bingley Hall, on Flickr

R L Smith

• Crew
  • Respect: +499
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 12:23:20 PM »
These PCC cars always seem to get their pictures posted when leaving the plant in PA after refurbishing.  Here's one in service on Market St. in San Francisco yesterday (June 6th):

1057 is in service?  Gee, I guess we can send that invoice now...

:D
ELHS and NMRA member

If the women don't find you handsome, make sure they find you handy...