Author Topic: Need Some SPF Help  (Read 1816 times)

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +348
Re: Need Some SPF Help
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2019, 05:59:31 PM »
The door spacing on the prototype is somewhat different from the MT, and, the windows are different, but, other than that, it is not that far off the Penn car.
The MT is based on an Erie seventy foot car.
Evidently inclusion of the word "supposedly" (plus the link to the proto photo) was too subtle for some to infer that the MTL car was less than fully prototypically correct for the PRR.
Given your criticism of my suggestion, what other recently produced ready-to-run model would you propose that the OP acquire to represent a PRR baggage car?

southernman

• Crew
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2019, 11:55:29 PM »
You wouldn't happen to have one of the MDC Overland passenger cars, would you? Not the little 34' ones, but the larger ones.

No Ed, I only own one other passenger car besides those listed.

southernman

• Crew
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2019, 12:37:28 AM »
Thanks again to all who have chimed in, I've learned a lot here. Still fascinated yet confused by the PREX cars. One source says they're converted troop sleepers while another says they're regular express refers leased to the PC.

I had forgotten,until this conversation, that REA used converted troop sleepers.That reminded me of a great article by Doug Nelson in the Sep-Oct Nscale Railroading about moving mail and express. Anyone interested in these operations should read this article BTW. One of the cars listed in the article was a Skytop Models converted troop sleeper decorated for REA. Some of the links previously posted showed these cars in train 17's consist so I  suppose I'll be getting one of those.Looks to be an easy project.

Also shown was the Hellgate models PRR B60b baggage car.I might get one those as well. Has anyone here ever built one?

As for the X29 boxcar,what is the proper paint scheme for 69-70? Would the shadow keystone work or would that scheme have been gone by then?

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +536
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2019, 01:00:36 AM »
+1
One source says they're converted troop sleepers

My source for that is an article written by V.S. Roseman in the September 2005 RMJ.

http://magazine.trainlife.com/rmj_2005_9/

He also wrote a book about the Raliway Express Agency.

Jason

Point353

• Crew
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2019, 02:01:08 AM »
As for the X29 boxcar,what is the proper paint scheme for 69-70? Would the shadow keystone work or would that scheme have been gone by then?
The shadow keystone scheme was applied up until mid-1961, when it was replaced by the plain keystone scheme.
Cars were repainted when they came into the shop for repairs.
Question is, did all X29 cars still in service get repainted sometime between mid-1961 and PC day?

southernman

• Crew
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2019, 09:01:20 PM »
My source for that is an article written by V.S. Roseman in the September 2005 RMJ.

http://magazine.trainlife.com/rmj_2005_9/

Jason

Thanks Jason. Good read and lots of useful info there. I sure do miss that magazine.

Point353

• Crew
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2019, 02:46:06 AM »
So far I have two REA express boxcars, a WOT SOU baggage car(need two more),
BLW has one WOT SOU baggage car available: https://brooklynlocomotiveworks.com/odds-ends.htm#wot-bag

southernman

• Crew
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2019, 10:55:50 PM »
BLW has one WOT SOU baggage car available: https://brooklynlocomotiveworks.com/odds-ends.htm#wot-bag

Thanks. I saw that about 11:00 PM last night. It’s on it’s way to me as I type this. I usually don’t get that lucky lol. This will give me a 70 footer as well as a Harriman baggage car so I’m good on those. Planning on trying to remove the Railway Express Agency lettering as I’m pretty sure it was gone by 1970.
Thanks again.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 11:22:49 PM by southernman »