Author Topic: Swapping a Bachmann N S-4 Decoder for sound  (Read 1549 times)

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Swapping a Bachmann N S-4 Decoder for sound
« on: April 12, 2019, 01:46:36 PM »
Have you done it?  Can I have the original equipment board? 
Mine sizzled out running in "dual mode" on DC.
Thought about bypassing and installing my own lights, but this would be easier.  Will pay a fair price if desired, but will happily clean out your junk box if one is available.
Thanks for looking...  (Cross posted in Trading Post, just in case...)
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Swapping a Bachmann N S-4 Decoder for sound
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 01:57:24 PM »
Thought about bypassing and installing my own lights, but this would be easier.  Will pay a fair price if desired, but will happily clean out your junk box if one is available.
Lee

But if you run the replacement decoder on DC, you might sizzle that one too.  :|
. . . 42 . . .

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 02:21:39 PM »
I have been running several other Bachmann engines without any trouble. they advertise the decoder as being dual-mode. I suspect I just got a bad one. After all it is a Bachmann
Rockin' It Old School

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 04:45:02 PM »
I have been running several other Bachmann engines without any trouble. they advertise the decoder as being dual-mode. I suspect I just got a bad one. After all it is a Bachmann

All of the currently manufactured decoders (from all manufacturers) are dual-mode.  To be honest, even the really early DCC decoders I ever dealt with were dual-model.  This is not something new or unique.  But then we also know that the retro power-packs/throttles sometimes don't play well with DCC dual-mode decoders.  Or at least some manufacturers claim that (and we also have some anecdotal evidence from other modelers confirming the odd behaviors/damage of their decoders running in DC).  If this is going to be strictly a DC-operated model, then it would really make mores sense to leave the decoder out (even if that means some custom headlight wiring).  It will run better that way also. Just saying  . . .
. . . 42 . . .

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 11:00:26 AM »
I'm using relatively new Bachmann power packs, not pulse power... I've heard that pulse eats decoders. 
The Bachmann factory decoders actually work her well on DC.  I've run some of my other engines, digital mostly, and the are sluggish and tend to cog...
Rockin' It Old School

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 11:53:40 AM »
I'm using relatively new Bachmann power packs, not pulse power... I've heard that pulse eats decoders. 
The Bachmann factory decoders actually work her well on DC.  I've run some of my other engines, digital mostly, and the are sluggish and tend to cog...

If you were to scope out the output you would most likely see pulsing DC - manufacturers just don't make filtered DC throttles.  The "pulse" you mention is when one of the rectifier diodes is taken out of the circuit so the pulsing DC is missing every other pulse.   But if you (and the decoders) are happy, that;s all that counts.
. . . 42 . . .

GM50 4164

• Crew
  • Respect: +85
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 10:56:53 PM »
Lee

Lee I am getting ready to do just that, sound in my WM S4. If you are still needing the factory Bachmann decoder I have one here. I'm hoping to start on this project this week.

Benjamin

Benjamin H