Author Topic: A caboose!  (Read 988 times)

Tom L

• Crew
  • Respect: +495
A caboose!
« on: May 26, 2019, 03:17:10 AM »
+1
I was waiting at the crossing just up the street from where I live and noticed this caboose on the end. Managed a quick phone shot as it passed. This is on the BNSF (C&S a long time ago) front range sub at Wellington CO between Fort Collins CO and Cheyenne WY. We've been here about 14 years and I do not recall seeing this before.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Tom L
Wellington CO

Englewood

• Crew
  • Respect: +260
Re: A caboose!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 12:45:12 AM »
Very nice catch!

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1326
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 12:50:24 AM »
Probably used for backup moves while switching.  Many roads have a few for that purpose.   Instead of having to cling to a ladder on the last car, if the reverse moves are very long, the crew member can ride the caboose platform, with a brake valve in hand.  Some of these even have their own air horns.
N Kalanaga
Be well

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 01:17:33 AM »
Probably used for backup moves while switching.  Many roads have a few for that purpose. ...

First, if it's an BNSF hack in ex-Q territory, it's a "way car", in the same way locomotives are called "motors". With that over with... :D  :facepalm:

Yes. They call 'em "shoving platforms", Some roads weld the doors shut, I guess to make absolutely sure there's no joyriding, attempts to use the decommissioned toilet, or whatever. The BNSF switch job in our area has the same arrangement. With roughly a five mile backup move to switch industries at the opposite end of town from the yard, crewman stands on the rear platform with radio in hand.

Notice that by some miracle it has no graffiti! Ours doesn't either. Cannot say the same for their brethren in more urban locales.

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +907
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 04:12:20 PM »
The reason for welding the door shut apart from squatters.. is to make sure no one can 'occupy' the caboose in relation to hazmat regulations.

1 (or up to 5) buffer between hazmat car and occupied caboose. 

So either by sealing the door.. or stencil 'do not occupy'.. you dont need a buffer... However.. the open window in the cupola leads me to think its occupied.. and coupled to a hazmat tank.

~Ian
~Ian