Author Topic: Trucks For Red Caboose Boxcars?  (Read 1900 times)

Showme

• Crew
  • Respect: +29
Trucks For Red Caboose Boxcars?
« on: May 14, 2019, 12:38:34 PM »
I have several of the Red Caboose 62' Beer Boxcars that I purchased without trucks. Time to get them rail worthy. What would be the correct MT trucks for these?

Bob

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: Trucks For Red Caboose Boxcars?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 12:43:11 PM »
70 ton roller bearing with 33 inch wheels if I'm not mistaken.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 03:50:27 PM »
I have several of the Red Caboose 62' Beer Boxcars that I purchased without trucks. Time to get them rail worthy. What would be the correct MT trucks for these?

Bob

You mean correct BLMA truck :)

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=21980.45

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 07:40:29 PM »
The RC cars were originally delivered with MT 70T roller bearing trucks with extended couplers.  (I don't recall which version of the extension they used though, but I'm thinking it was the longest version that is not the 1019.)

I agree that BLMA/Atlas 100T trucks are good for lowering these cars, but good luck finding any these days.... Also, I have not tried to body mount MT couplers on one of these cars when using BLMA trucks.  You might need an underslung style to get the correct coupler height.

cjm413

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 08:57:21 PM »
The RC cars were originally delivered with MT 70T roller bearing trucks with extended couplers.  (I don't recall which version of the extension they used though, but I'm thinking it was the longest version that is not the 1019.)

I agree that BLMA/Atlas 100T trucks are good for lowering these cars, but good luck finding any these days.... Also, I have not tried to body mount MT couplers on one of these cars when using BLMA trucks.  You might need an underslung style to get the correct coupler height.

MTL was reportedly going to be releasing new trucks with lowered bolster arms, but I don't know the specifics of which types of trucks or when they'd be available.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 10:03:37 PM by cjm413 »

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 09:50:21 PM »
Yes indeed.  And as far as I can tell, nearly a year has passed since this was last mentioned.  Any update on this @Shipsure?  I'm pretty sure these will sell quite well.

Sharky_McSharknose

• Crew
  • Respect: +79
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 01:38:16 PM »
If you use the MT trucks, be careful with the truck pins. They are a bit loose on my 62' beer boxcars, and they tend to fall out easily on my two Thrall-door boxcars. I think I have truck pins that will hold the trucks in better, I just haven't had a chance to get to them.

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3155
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 03:18:30 PM »
+1
If you use the MT trucks, be careful with the truck pins. They are a bit loose on my 62' beer boxcars, and they tend to fall out easily on my two Thrall-door boxcars. I think I have truck pins that will hold the trucks in better, I just haven't had a chance to get to them.

Give the coupler pin a  minor squeeze with flat nosed smooth jaw pliers to turn the round press-in part into an oval.  Works great for this issue.

cjm413

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 08:32:56 PM »

The best truck pin to use is a 2-56 flathead screw :)

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 01:39:20 AM »
Lemosteam:  I've been doing that for almost 50 years!
N Kalanaga
Be well

cjm413

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 02:15:42 PM »
Yes indeed.  And as far as I can tell, nearly a year has passed since this was last mentioned.  Any update on this @Shipsure?  I'm pretty sure these will sell quite well.

I almost forgot about these:

http://www.esmc.com/9200/Item9210.html

ai5629

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2019, 04:26:19 PM »
When I put trucks on my RC beer boxcars, I used Atlas 100 ton roller bearing trucks with 36” metal wheels.  The ride height was very good IMO.  The Demi-data says it’s a 100 ton car, so that is why I went that route.  I glued an Accumate coupler box cut from the truck to the car.  The coupler height is right in line with an MTL truck mounted coupler.  I will most likely revisit these some day and change the couplers to a 1016 knuckle in a 1019 box to get some additional coupler side to side swing.  The coupler box can be screwed on as there is a gap between the car weight and the end of the car I have since come to discover.   Thanks.

Jeff
Jeff Lopez