Author Topic: Fibre optic cable size?  (Read 2394 times)

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +81
Re: Fibre optic cable size?
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2019, 01:09:31 PM »
I found some scrap single mode on a cell site earlier this year.  Not sure what I'll do with it, but I got 64 strands in the roll, and the roll is about 30' long...so pretty sure I'll never need to buy any more in my lifetime

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +718
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2019, 07:36:55 AM »
Hmmm...scraps at a cell site.  That's a great idea.  There's one nearby me under construction.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4531
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2019, 11:49:42 PM »
I found some scrap single mode on a cell site earlier this year.  Not sure what I'll do with it, but I got 64 strands in the roll, and the roll is about 30' long...so pretty sure I'll never need to buy any more in my lifetime

Interesting.
In my experience, fiber optics used for communication purposes are not much thicker than human hair and are made of glass.  Totally useless for our model applications.  The thicker diameter plastic fiber optic we use are usually intended for toys.
. . . 42 . . .

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2019, 02:20:09 AM »
Hmmm...scraps at a cell site.  That's a great idea.  There's one nearby me under construction.

I'd be careful with that, I work for one of the companies that own the majority of cell towers in the US.

Interesting.
In my experience, fiber optics used for communication purposes are not much thicker than human hair and are made of glass.  Totally useless for our model applications.  The thicker diameter plastic fiber optic we use are usually intended for toys.

They are glass, I know you can get them shine light, however not sure how much light you'd get from an LED.  I was thinking of using some of it to light up Christmas lights on buildings.  If I can't get it to work, I'll just toss it out next bulk trash day.