Author Topic: Sad news for those who model the Western Maryland  (Read 2281 times)

DeltaBravo

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +189
    • N-Scale and other interest
Re: Sad news for those who model the Western Maryland
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2019, 02:36:11 PM »
I've been in that plant. They had not invested in upgrades in years and had no budget to help modernise it. Reminds me of Sparrows Point steel mill.
David B.

Member WMRHS

https://undara.wordpress.com/

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2019, 07:30:56 PM »
But it's just not on the way to anywhere except possibly Morgantown or Deep Creek Lake, which both have their own fragile centers of gravity to worry about.

Not true. My relatives who used to come down from Pittsburgh and Ohio frequently came 'the back way' through Cumberland, as an alt to the PA Turnpike. 68 is an easier drive than 76, IMO, and free comparatively. If tech firms who value the outdoors were to be found considering the 270 corridor would loom at Cumberland, especially those requiring land at a good price (hmmm, a east coast site Solar World factory...).

It sounds cold, I know, but cities are nothing more than shells these days, husks. Workforce can always move in and out or those stuck to their hollers retrained or left to die off. For the many it's sink or swim, baby, sink or swim these days. No time for that roots crap; trim your sails, take a picture, grab your kids, and move on if you want to keep the do-ray-me rolling in. Opportunity is where it's at, and if there is none don't be where opportunity ain't.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7961
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2019, 11:46:50 AM »
I've asked a question about where the WM power may be heading on RYPN:
http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=43313