Author Topic: 3D printed N scale siderods?  (Read 1677 times)

Sharky_McSharknose

• Crew
  • Respect: +79
3D printed N scale siderods?
« on: April 12, 2019, 03:28:33 PM »
Has anyone tried to print N scale steam locomotive side rod and valve gear pieces? If so, how long do they last?

I have a Con-Cor/Kato J3a Hudson that is missing several side rod and valve gear parts. I e-mailed Con-Cor support asking if they have any replacement parts for the Kato or Chinese J3a, but they never replied back. Aside from getting lucky and finding a parts engine at a train show, having these parts 3D printed may be the only way to go.

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +907
Re: 3D printed N scale siderods?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 09:59:02 AM »
PM coming.

(I've got one available to sell that would likely have the parts you need.)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 06:22:03 PM by learmoia »
~Ian

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 03:13:53 PM »
You might have better luck calling Con-Cor - thats what I had to do in the past.  (520) 721-8939

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 11:10:48 AM »
+1
Calling Concor is just about the only way to get a response from them. They have a surprising number of spares but unless they are asked to go look for something, they won't. I guess I could ask them to go look for the veranda turbines that they have been promising for YEARS and YEARS, but I probably won't pay their asking price even if they had them... :facepalm:
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

Sharky_McSharknose

• Crew
  • Respect: +79
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 02:17:12 PM »
Thanks for the info! learmoia, I will reply to your PM. I will also try giving Con-Cor a call. The Hudson I have runs well, but without the side rods and valve gear it looks like a steam-shaped diesel running down the tracks!

My original question still stands, but now from an academic point of view. I wonder if 3D printing will make for viable replacement side rods and valve gear, especially for old, discontinued models like the Con-Cor J3a. I'm mainly concerned that they will wear out prematurely.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4594
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 04:24:48 PM »
Thanks for the info! learmoia, I will reply to your PM. I will also try giving Con-Cor a call. The Hudson I have runs well, but without the side rods and valve gear it looks like a steam-shaped diesel running down the tracks!

My original question still stands, but now from an academic point of view. I wonder if 3D printing will make for viable replacement side rods and valve gear, especially for old, discontinued models like the Con-Cor J3a. I'm mainly concerned that they will wear out prematurely.

To me the main problem would be appearance. I suspect that to make them robust enough, they would have to be much thicker than the usual metal parts.  That would make the model look clunky and toy-like.  Some of the older Con-Cor models (your Hudson is probably one of them) had plastic siderods and those never looked right to me.  If I owned one of those and really wanted to use it, I would probably look into making new siderods out of stainless steel (whicih is what they are made of on some locos). Or make them by hand from a sheet of nickel silver like Max did for his scratchbuilt loco.
. . . 42 . . .

propmeup1

• Crew
  • Respect: +112
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 04:52:36 PM »
I used a new #11 blade and skimmed them all down a tad. Looks much better.