Author Topic: N Scale Front Loader (CAT 950H)  (Read 1948 times)

Stephane

• Crew
  • Respect: +59
N Scale Front Loader (CAT 950H)
« on: April 13, 2019, 07:32:40 PM »
+5
I noticed that the Sketch-up warehouse is full of really nice 3D models of various real-world vehicles.  However, most of those models are not at all designed for 3D printing as far as I can tell.  I wanted to see how difficult it was to convert one such model to 3D printing.  I started weeks ago, and had several false starts - mostly because I was teaching myself how to use Meshmixer.

So, here is the result of this first trial... a Caterpillar 950H front loader!

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

and here it is somewhat cleaned up and assembled (but a bit dusty from sanding still)

Since printing out this version, I did make further modifications to the file and and am currently printing again.  For one, I printed four identical wheels! that means two wheels have the treads on backwards,  :facepalm:

The back ladders (near the bumper) broke off during cleaning and so did the rear view mirrors.  I've beefed those up for version 2.

I suspect it will take a few more iterations to get a really good print, but I'm happy with it so far.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
Re: N Scale Front Loader (CAT 950H)
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 09:45:01 PM »
It'd be pretty awesome if there were an early version of the Cat 966, even better if it had log grapples.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 06:12:38 AM »
Yeah just like this one....

https://images.app.goo.gl/WYeAAtJoKejXot8U6

Jon

Stephane

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 09:33:53 AM »
+1
The original 3d model has three of four sets of tires (different treads) and does in fact have claws included

This is the original file as imported into Meshmixer...

I don't see any logging around here, so I opted to print with the bucket instead!

You both seem to know a lot more about the different models - I don't know if the 950 is a recent or old model, but it was the biggest one in the file.  I did download a 966 model and had started working on it first, but I ran into a problem in making it 3d printable and gave up on it early on.

IronPenguin

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 11:41:44 AM »
Very nice!
Mike Tennent
IronPenguin Electronics
https://tennentm.wixsite.com/ironpenguin

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 11:19:17 AM »
The Caterpillar 950H wheel loader was introduced in 2005.
The Caterpillar 950C wheel loader was introduced in 1955

The Caterpillar 966D wheel loader was introduced in 1980.
The Caterpillar 966B wheel loader was introduced in 1963
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 11:26:41 AM »
Those are beautiful models! I'm just a little surprised, given how nicely detailed they are and how finely the Photon can print, that the cabs weren't open. I know that opens a whole huge can of worms, what with having to model the seat, controls, etc., but still...

Stephane

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 11:42:41 AM »
The cab interiors are in fact modeled in the original 3D model!  in Sketchup, the original designer created the polygons for the windows as transparent, but once these are imported into Meshmixer, the transparency is discarded and we end up with a solid face.

I did think about the possibility of printing without the windows, but then... how do I then add windows afterwards? they're absolutely tiny and I can't see how I can glue in any transparent plastic.

The other issue I had with this particular model is that I had to rebuild the entire cabin from scratch because the mesh was just too "broken" to fix in meshmixer.  One of the issues can be seen in the front-side triangular windows which are not co-planar.  This seems to be the case in a lot of different sketchup models in fact - sketchup appears to do some smoothing operation in the UI so the models look good regardless, but then imported into Meshmixer, the faceted geometry becomes quite obvious.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 11:56:23 AM »
I'm just talking out my butt here, since I have zero experience with 3D printing, but why not print the cab separately, from the base of the windows up, in the Photon clear resin, paint the solid parts with the body color, then attach it to the rest of the vehicle? Or something like that...

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3081
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 01:09:33 PM »
Can always use MicroScale Krystal Clear for the windows

Stephane

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 01:24:49 PM »
David: I don't have any clear resin, so I couldn't try it at the moment, but it could possibly work.  Reaching the seat, steering wheel and console though without splattering paint on the inside windows though...  :scared:

Maybe if the windows were printed as an insert, that could possibly work.  I just don't have enough experience with 3d printing to know if that's possible yet.  I've only used up a single 250ml bottle of resin and just started on the grey!

That MicroScale Krystal Clear idea though.. that's interesting, I might give that a try if I can find some of that stuff.  Though the rear window may be a problem - it wraps around to the sides of the cabin.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 01:33:02 PM »
David: I don't have any clear resin, so I couldn't try it at the moment, but it could possibly work.  Reaching the seat, steering wheel and console though without splattering paint on the inside windows though...  :scared:

I was thinking the clear part would just be the windows and roof; the seat, controls, etc. would all be part of the main vehicle. So all you'd have to paint on the clear part would be the roof. Theoretically...

The other possibility would be to have someone laser-cut acetate windows to precisely fit the frames. But I dally on...

Mark W

• Crew
  • Respect: +2125
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 02:09:02 PM »
I've secretly been experimenting with vehicle/equipment windows and sub-assembly parts these past several weeks.  I just haven't had the time to compile results yet, but they're definitely promising!  Perhaps I can get something typed up this week. 
Contact me about custom model building.
Learn more about Free-moNebraska.
Learn more about HOn3-mo.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 02:14:18 PM »
I've secretly been experimenting...

Sounds nefarious...! :trollface:

Stephane

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2019, 02:21:36 PM »
Oh! Yeah I'm very much looking forward to that!