Author Topic: Cardigan Jct-New Brighton Soo Line FreemoN,, continuation???  (Read 625 times)

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Oh, it's an Owl!
  • Respect: +510
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: Cardigan Jct-New Brighton Soo Line FreemoN,, continuation???
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2019, 01:44:59 PM »
Speaking of the Short Line (bridge), don't forget about the Ford Plant.  Lot's of switching there.

Jason

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Oh, it's an Owl!
  • Respect: +510
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2019, 01:49:30 PM »
Another thing that comes to mind is that the SOO acquired the MN&S in 1982.  That line is pretty much nothing but switching opportunities.

Jason

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +172
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2019, 01:55:28 PM »
What are these module joint spanning tie sets called, and where can I find them?

(Attachment Link)
I'm betting they are PC board ties cut and gapped for the angle. The freemo guys use this technique for their module ends.
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

CRL

• Crew
  • Respect: +76
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2019, 02:27:25 PM »
That’s possible, but I know I saw a similar product mentioned on TRW somewhere as a substitute for conventional rail joiners, but I can’t find the link for the website where they were sold.

mighalpern

• Crew
  • Respect: +140
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2019, 02:35:20 PM »
CRL

those are called gapmasters found here  http://www.americantieandtimber.com/

Miguel

soo

• Crew
  • Respect: +95
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2019, 02:40:17 PM »
Guys,
American Tie and Timber
http://www.americantieandtimber.com/4.html

Westward expansion,,,hell yeah,,you betcha. SOO had a helper district on Shoreham hill. And I have three dvd's from my era showing that..plus action at New Brighton. Shot by Mr SOO himself..Bob Rivard.

Guys, I really appreciate all the input.

Thanks,
 Wyatt

CRL

• Crew
  • Respect: +76
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2019, 02:44:15 PM »
That’s them... thanks a lot.

milw12

• Crew
  • Respect: +131
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2019, 10:00:00 AM »
Sometimes I drive under the Short Line bridge on the way to work, I've always wondered how to tackle a model of it. It's an awesome piece of engineering (and rivets), but I may be biased  :P

Lucas
"'Model railroading is a continuing series of frustrations punctuated by moments of mild satisfaction.'" -C855B

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +572
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2019, 11:02:40 AM »
The five parallel yard tracks would look and flow even better with a bit larger radius on the south end. I think you have the room to match the 36' you have on the other end as is, or you could make the transition module a few inches longer to accommodate the S curve....?
Have fun,
Otto K.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 04:10:45 PM by Cajonpassfan »

soo

• Crew
« Reply #24 on: Yesterday at 09:52:55 PM »
Otto,
I will see about that. I know what you are talking about,,it would flow better. I will doodle with 3rd Plan-it and see what I can come up with.
Laters,
Wyatt

soo

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: Yesterday at 10:17:46 PM »
Well today I started on the new sections for layout.
Ripped all the plywood down for the sections, to include the top, frame, legs,and the end plates. I need one more sheet of 1/2" Birch so I can rip the rest of the frame pieces. I am going to stick with 2" pink foam. Never know when plans might change.

Went through all of the supplies,,I am short on fender washers and wingnuts..jeez :facepalm:

I am trying get work done,,because I don't know what my out of town work schedule is going to be in the near future.

Speaking of plans....I am steering in the direction of the Hiawatha Ave elevators. I just want more switching,,I will build empty fillers for the shows. ( if I ever get that far).
Hiawatha makes sense because.....I need a home for my gabillion covered hoppers..lol

Sitting down and thinking,,how in the$!#=%;;&& am I going to haul all of these???!??. Looking into a 14' cargo trailer,,, anywhere from 3500$ to 5000$. Probably just a pipe dream,,,but ya never know ;)

On another forum,,someone posted diagrams of the car spots and directions how to switch and what goes where. The roadblock for me now is trying to figure out how all the track connects between the 3 elevators.

So that be it, I might work on it tommorow...who knows.
Laters,
Wyatt