Author Topic: The Portable Modular N Scale Helix  (Read 3720 times)

Mark W

• Crew
  • Respect: +2125
    • Free-moNebraska
The Portable Modular N Scale Helix
« on: April 08, 2019, 07:25:24 PM »
+6
A few years ago, a friend wanted to build a pretty unique layout.  It goes against many of the common interests usually found here, but I think it warrants a share anyway!   
If the terms 'helix', 'spaghetti bowl', or 'unitrack' offend you, you better leave now.  8)

First, the idea was a simple straight through double track module.  Simple enough.  But on either side would be two massive helix's!  The concept is to allow several trains to run continuously, all at once, with plenty of space between trains; so periodically you get a train through the centerpiece module, and there will be about 8-10 trains before you see the same one.   

I can see some of you now thinking  :facepalm:
But wait, there's more! 

Make it PORTABLE!  :o :scared: :scared:

Well, it took about 3 months to design, and another 6 months to build.  Some of you may even remember a small preview I shared last fall. 

https://i.imgur.com/rUosfuq.jpg

It's finally done!  I present The Portable Modular Helix!

https://i.imgur.com/iOwQCQF.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/67LRofk.jpg

We first set up a few weeks ago at Spring Creek Model Train's Free-mo Weekend.  Amazingly everything ran flawless. 
This past weekend, Juan set up at a small local train show, and had up to 6 trains running non-stop.  Here's video:

And finally, the tear-down. 

https://i.imgur.com/AKhyor8.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/intKpkp.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/fThwh8z.jpg

Everything packs nice and tidy for travel!

https://i.imgur.com/7vcrILn.jpg

We timed a one man set-up at just under 1.5 hours, not including railing trains.  Tear down was exactly 1.5, including removing trains. 

Juan manages the pedal cars that travel with the Worlds Greatest Hobby (or maybe it's Great Train Show).   So chances are, you may be able to see this set up at one of those shows near you next season!

He's already asked for 2 more to make it into a 4-leaf clover set-up...  :scared: :scared:
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 07:31:24 PM by Mark W »
Contact me about custom model building.
Learn more about Free-moNebraska.
Learn more about HOn3-mo.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5348
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: The Portable Modular N Scale Helix
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 08:21:19 PM »
+1
That is cool!  I was toying with building a micro version of this concept with 9.75" radius snap track before I was relieved of my stockpile by @David K. Smith for his retro project.

My concept was to make it as compact as possible, like the old "Wild Mouse" roller coaster.  But that looks really fun with all those long trains running at once.
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1774
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 09:53:06 PM »
+1
The innovation and fine craftsmanship should earn this thing some kind of prize for modules.  You should enter it in module contests....
(you really should!)

Bob

• Crew
  • Respect: +545
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 10:24:44 PM »
+1
What an incredibly neat concept - I bet kids at the shows really love this!

CRL

• Crew
  • Needs More Dirt.
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 11:07:29 PM »
+2
Looks like a parking garage. Not sure what the point is for this. 😕

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4530
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 12:01:19 AM »
+1

As mentioned: The concept is to allow several trains to run continuously, all at once, with plenty of space between trains; so periodically you get a train through the centerpiece module, and there will be about 8-10 trains before you see the same one.

Plus, they like to assemble and tear down very large wooden puzzles.  :)

My question (based on the concept description) is: will the helices be covered up (hidden), and only the centerpiece "stage" on top will be exposed?  It does seem a bit pointless then.  I'm also curious how they will keep those 8-10 trains from eventually running into each other (after few hours of running).  Could be a spectacular wreck!  :scared:  But either, way, it is a very impressive piece of engineering, even if setup/tear-down takes ~3 hours.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 12:22:26 AM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

x600

• Crew
  • Respect: +119
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2019, 12:12:59 AM »
+1
Sometimes you just have to do it just to prove it can be done.

(Insert other examples here)

Mark, Well done, what a tribute to engineering and precision carpentry skills.

Bravo!

Greg O.

CRL

• Crew
  • Needs More Dirt.
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 12:36:07 AM »
+2

Mark W

• Crew
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2019, 01:00:27 AM »
+10

What a ridiculous self-centered post.  Where does this mentality come from?  It's disappointing how frequent I've seen it lately too. 

Do people really not understand that others do and enjoy things differently?  Or perhaps they're just that insecure that they need to ridicule others work to feel important them self? 
Maybe pissing and moaning is just their enjoyable part of the hobby.  Whatever, I won't hold that against you.  But do us all a favor and keep your non-constructive criticism to yourself. 

Otherwise it's just pathetic. 

Mark W

• Crew
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2019, 01:12:12 AM »
My question (based on the concept description) is: will the helices be covered up (hidden), and only the centerpiece "stage" on top will be exposed?  It does seem a bit pointless then.  I'm also curious how they will keep those 8-10 trains from eventually running into each other (after few hours of running).  Could be a spectacular wreck!  :scared:  But either, way, it is a very impressive piece of engineering, even if setup/tear-down takes ~3 hours.

Juan originally talked about using curtains to hide the front, but everyone was so interested in the helices themselves I think he's just going to leave them open.  He runs DCC, and basically only stock Katos with identical decoders.  When they're all set to the same speed, they literally do just run for hours at the same distance apart.

Each helix is 4' by 9' and creates a 1.5% grade.  If I remember correctly, there is 12.5 or 14.5 scale miles of track!  So even 10 trains are still 1 scale mile apart. 

Rivet Miscounter

• Crew
  • Respect: +362
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2019, 02:01:50 AM »
+1
That's really cool, and nicely done.

I had thought about doing something similar--and again on a much smaller scale--just to test helix operations for a certain size/radius/grade before committing to it for a permanent layout installation.  It did occur to me that it might have a good appeal at a train show, but I never got too far with it.   I had about half of one side done before life intervened.
Doug

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4530
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2019, 02:40:19 AM »
+1

Each helix is 4' by 9' and creates a 1.5% grade.  If I remember correctly, there is 12.5 or 14.5 scale miles of track!  So even 10 trains are still 1 scale mile apart.

LOL!  That depends on how many cars each train has. If they are 50 car trains, then the distance is a bit shorter.

So if I understand this correctly, the BEMF feature of each decoder keeps the locos running at a constant speed, regardless whether they are running up or down the grade, or on flat part?
. . . 42 . . .

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +559
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2019, 10:11:15 AM »
+1
/>

I think that is the operational concept that Hunter had for CSX!

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +559
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2019, 10:29:24 AM »

I agree it reminds me of some of the parking garages I have had to drive around!  But, I do see the point in doing it - to bring some visual variety of trains visible on another part of a display that is basically a roundy-round. This is basically a staging area with automatic train feed to another part of a layout.

When you look at the video, it seems that the double-track helix feeds another section of the layout that is single-tracked, with trains going both directions on that single track.  There is a double crossover between the two helixes, and it looks to me like the trains cross each others' paths at that point.  So, there also must be some intricate train route timing aspect of this project to make it work so well.

Congrats to the developers!

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8454
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2019, 10:51:52 AM »
+5
Years ago when I was still bringing the Juniata Division to shows in the Omaha area, there was a young man with a son who built something somewhat similar (although admittedly much less craftsman-like than this) with some moderate scenicking.  It was constructed almost entirely of foam. I know the die-hard train guys probably turned their nose up at what he'd done, but not only was his set-up one of the most popular things at the show, I admired how much fun he and his son had by showing it off.

To give you a sense...in the middle of one of the loops was a shrine to the Virgin Mary.  Not an N scale one...but the kind you'd find on a mantle in a Catholic home.

Different strokes, folks...  This is all about what makes us happy, not what makes other modelers happy.

EDIT:  Truth in advertising...  My first impression was also "what's the point?"  But a minute or two of additional reflection made me realize that I was looking at it through my lens as a prototype modeler.  That's a really narrow lens.  The point?  'Cause it's cool to watch and fun to build!  That ought to be good enough.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 10:59:29 AM by Dave V »