Author Topic: Weekend Update 4/7/19  (Read 9032 times)

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
Re: Weekend Update 4/7/19
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2019, 06:49:57 PM »
I neglected to mention that I, too, am restoring a Volkswagen Beetle. Here's mine, sitting next to a stock car to show how much I've lowered it.

No fog lights yet, tho... :trollface:

(And yes, that's a real model in an unretouched, admittedly crappy photo.)

Ha Ha perfect!  :lol:

johnb

• Crew
  • Respect: +891
    • My blog
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2019, 07:17:43 PM »
Just curious...  Are there references to back this up? 

FWIW I encountered a *flat earther* in the introductory meteorology elective I taught at the Air Force Academy so yeah, it's plausible.  Just curious though.
it never ceases to amaze me how stupid  "educated" people can be....

Iain

• Crew
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +346
    • The Best Puppers
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2019, 07:41:21 PM »

FWIW I encountered a *flat earther* in the introductory meteorology elective I taught at the Air Force Academy so yeah, it's plausible.  Just curious though.

Did you fail him?
Thanks much,
Mairi Dulaney, RHCE
Member, Free Software Foundation and Norfolk Southern Historical Society

http://jdulaney.com

Steveruger45

• Crew
  • Respect: +524
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2019, 07:46:13 PM »
Work continues on Emereald.  Foam is glued in place and track work has

I was quite surprised to discover the unitrack #4 turnouts are 2mm longer than the standard 124mm section!  :o

https://i.imgur.com/K5pgSKD.jpg

That gap is nothing a little American Innovation can't handle!  Come check out the solution in the challenge thread: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=46615.msg614623#msg614623

That's it for this week.  Next up, the bridges!

https://i.imgur.com/xMJ9dPs.jpg

You can replace the 124mm straight with a 62mm and a 64mm straights but I’m not sure those come in concrete tie variety at the moment. Ah! I just looked at your link.  Good solution, I’ll bear that in mind myself.
Thanks for posting it.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 07:54:26 PM by Steveruger45 »
Steve

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2019, 07:47:00 PM »

Did you fail him?

Why should he have? Flat Earth has a climate and weather.   :D
. . . 42 . . .

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2019, 07:57:55 PM »
Did you fail him?

Why should he have? Flat Earth has a climate and weather.   :D

Dr V, can you explain the weather of a flat Earth ?  As a met graduate myself, I wonder how the jet stream wraps from the east end back to the west  :D

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2019, 08:13:29 PM »
+9
Work continues on the EP-3. Most of the roof work is done, just waiting on revamped pantograph insulator cradles, and I need to add the boxy roof bulge and fabricate the third-rail pantograph, as well as one more insulator and cable near one of the pantographs. Hoping to start painting next weekend.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

glakedylan

• Crew
  • Give Respect. Expect Respect.
  • Respect: +234
    • Justice Kindness Humbleness —Micah 6.8
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2019, 08:21:17 PM »
Finished a couple of buildings then spent 16 days passing a kidney stone.  Kidney stone was easier than posting right-side up photos

Roger...great modelling and thankful the GS has passed. 16 days is terrible. Feel much better really soon!

Sincerely
Gary
PRRT&HS #9304 | PHILLY CHAPTER #2384

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8552
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2019, 08:47:21 PM »
+15
I've been doing some work...  Started filling in the scene between the Rico depot:

Rico had multiple “ore dumps,” or simple truck ramps where trucks could dump ore into rail cars. The one near the depot was a simple affair and not especially interesting to look at. I chose instead to use the Grandt Line model of the enclosed Silverton ore dump for visual interest.

Also, the RGS has some animals to haul.  Glad I don't have to model smells too:

Rico from the south:

Also added more weeds and a shed to Ridgway per photos:

Lastly, had a visit today from @Rivet Miscounter who has the dubious distinction of being the first Railwire A$$hat (other than yours truly) to operate a train on the RGS first district.  Unprototypically it did not derail... :D

johnb

• Crew
  • Respect: +891
    • My blog
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2019, 09:06:53 PM »
+2
After quite a few months of not having a layout, I built a shelf out of a broken dresser’s drawers. Ironically, it’s the same dresser that I used for the layout top….

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2019, 09:42:33 PM »
I wonder how the jet stream wraps from the east end back to the west  :D

Tortoise inhales, tortoise exhales...

Erik W

• Crew
  • Respect: +715
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2019, 09:59:16 PM »
Unprototypically it did not derail... :D

Haha.  Nice!  :D

cbroughton67

• Crew
  • Respect: +1699
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2019, 10:28:12 PM »
+5
Trying my hand at scratch-building structures from styrene...

Chris Broughton
MMR #650

Darwin was an optimist.

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8552
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2019, 10:36:26 PM »
+2
Did you fail him?

No.  He actually did pretty well in my class.  He answered a lot of in-class questions correctly also.  I asked him after class on one of the first few lessons if he was interested in flat earth stuff from the standpoint of a hobbyist or as a deep-seated believer.  He said it was more the former.  So I told him point-blank that I would be teaching with the earth as a sphere (think satellite orbital mechanics, axial tilt for seasons and for natural climate cycles, etc.) and that he would need to complete the assignments that way.  He did...he was actually quite polite about it.  I'm hoping after my class he questioned his own thinking more.  I told him as constructively as I could that choosing to believe in easily disproved theories doesn't make someone "woke," but rather willfully ignorant, which is the worst form of ignorance.  That he was studying military strategy in other classes that involved things like flying over the pole to Russia or the early around-the-world B-52 missions in the opening days of Desert Storm probably also chiseled away at his desire to believe in a flat earth.

Contrary to what you may think, a professor can't just fail someone because he or she wants to.  At USAFA all of the graded measurements are a matter of record and every single point is accounted for.  It's as objective as a grading system can be, and in the end the cadet's grade truly reflects what he or she has earned.  In this cadet's case, he completed the assignments consistently with the lesson material and he was able to compartmentalize that flat-earth silliness.

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +542
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2019, 10:47:12 PM »
No.  He actually did pretty well in my class.  He answered a lot of in-class questions correctly also.  I asked him after class on one of the first few lessons if he was interested in flat earth stuff from the standpoint of a hobbyist or as a deep-seated believer.  He said it was more the former.  So I told him point-blank that I would be teaching with the earth as a sphere (think satellite orbital mechanics, axial tilt for seasons and for natural climate cycles, etc.) and that he would need to complete the assignments that way.  He did...he was actually quite polite about it.  I'm hoping after my class he questioned his own thinking more.  I told him as constructively as I could that choosing to believe in easily disproved theories doesn't make someone "woke," but rather willfully ignorant, which is the worst form of ignorance.  That he was studying military strategy in other classes that involved things like flying over the pole to Russia or the early around-the-world B-52 missions in the opening days of Desert Storm probably also chiseled away at his desire to believe in a flat earth.

Contrary to what you may think, a professor can't just fail someone because he or she wants to.  At USAFA all of the graded measurements are a matter of record and every single point is accounted for.  It's as objective as a grading system can be, and in the end the cadet's grade truly reflects what he or she has earned.  In this cadet's case, he completed the assignments consistently with the lesson material and he was able to compartmentalize that flat-earth silliness.
I find it interesting how well you remember this student and his ability in your class. I'm curious if he stands out to you because of his flat earth belief or how well he did in class or the combination of the two? Obviously he was a very unique student but even then most people would just remember the flat earth stuff and forget the rest.
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader