Author Topic: Weekend Update 4/7/19  (Read 9012 times)

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
Re: Weekend Update 4/7/19
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2019, 10:11:54 AM »
Otto,  The siding is Evergreen V-groove.  I painted it light tan and then drew on individual boards with a black Sharpie. This was followed by airbrushing a very dilute mixture of grimy black and roof brown.  Finally I used Pan Pastels for a little more depth.

Thanks Andrew. Interesting technique, makes the boards pop.
Otto

brokemoto

• Crew
  • Respect: +180
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2019, 10:23:52 AM »
+2
This explains why some really stupid university students think the Underground Railroad really was under ground.

In some cases, the Underground Railroad actually was the railroad.

Matthias Baldwin was an abolitionist.  He gave large amounts of money to organisations and individuals who helped slaves to escape and move north,  He went as far as to give escaped slaves temporary jobs at his locomotive works.  Despite the Fugitive Slave Law, no one was going to give Baldwin any trouble about it.  Baldwin's locomotive works contributed more than a little to both the local economy in Philadelphia and the national, as well.  Add to it that Pennsylvania was one of three states that did something to abolish slavery before the end of the War of Independence (although it would be some time before the last slave in Pennsylvania finally did walk free).

Brakeman was a job that no one wanted.  If you were not careful, link-and-pin couplers would take an arm.  You could be crushed during poling operations.  Walking along the roofs of boxcars on a moving train to set or loose brake wheels was dangerous, especially given the crummy track, poor roadbed and primitive suspensions of those cars.  The railroads in Connecticut, Massachusetts and Vermont used to hire escaped slaves as boomer brakemen.  Once the train arrived in its terminal near the Massachusetts line, or, even into Vermont, the boomer collected his pay and proceeded to Canada.  Once they actually made it to Vermont, they were pretty much home free to Canada, as the slave catchers would not go to Vermont (often they did not make it back). Vermont and Massachusetts had banned slavery before the end of the War of Independence; Vermont under Article One of its constitution; Massachusetts by judicial review (the only state ever to ban it in that manner).  Vermont, of course, would not be admitted until 1791, but Article One of its current constitution is the same.

Baldwin's support of the Abolitionist movement so angered the management and ownership of several railroads in the slave states that they refused to buy  his locomotives.

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8454
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2019, 10:32:43 AM »
+3
This explains why some really stupid university students think the Underground Railroad really was under ground.

Just curious...  Are there references to back this up? 

FWIW I encountered a *flat earther* in the introductory meteorology elective I taught at the Air Force Academy so yeah, it's plausible.  Just curious though.

Mark W

• Crew
  • Respect: +2125
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2019, 11:12:25 AM »
+3
Work continues on Emereald.  Foam is glued in place and track work has begun.

https://i.imgur.com/jEmbejy.jpg

I was quite surprised to discover the unitrack #4 turnouts are 2mm longer than the standard 124mm section!  :o

https://i.imgur.com/K5pgSKD.jpg

That gap is nothing a little American Innovation can't handle!  Come check out the solution in the challenge thread: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=46615.msg614623#msg614623

That's it for this week.  Next up, the bridges!

https://i.imgur.com/xMJ9dPs.jpg
Contact me about custom model building.
Learn more about Free-moNebraska.
Learn more about HOn3-mo.

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +538
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2019, 11:15:10 AM »
+1

FWIW I encountered a *flat earther* in the introductory meteorology elective I taught at the Air Force Academy so yeah, it's plausible.  Just curious though.
Flat earther in the airforce? Where you fly jets high enough to see the curvature of the earth?  :facepalm:
Granted they are just starting and have likely not been up that high, but wow are they going to have an eye opener if they are flying.
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

strummer

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2019, 11:41:58 AM »
Work continues on Emereald.  Foam is glued in place and track work has begun.

I was quite surprised to discover the unitrack #4 turnouts are 2mm longer than the standard 124mm section!  :o

That gap is nothing a little American Innovation can't handle!  Come check out the solution in the challenge thread: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=46615.msg614623#msg614623

I did; brilliant!

You should make up a bunch of those; I bet you'd have no trouble selling them...

Mark in Oregon

arbomambo

• Crew
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2019, 12:49:20 PM »
+6
...and so it begins.
Planning, collecting, assembling, painting, weathering, and detailing the structures that will populate the town of Hutton. Comprising three triple modules, transitioning, from right to left, from rural outskirts to a town center, then to a 'seedy' side and small industry. Not shown in these two pics, are the myriad small industry structures, rural businesses, service stations, water towers, etc.

"STILL Thrilled to be in N scale!"

Bruce M. Arbo
CATT- Coastal Alabama T-TRAK
https://nationalt-traklayout.com/

Roger Holmes

• Crew
  • Respect: +579
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2019, 02:12:56 PM »
Thanks everyone for the nice comments.  The inner walls of World Wide Wickets (the name of the company in the Broadway show How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying) are Evergreen strips and sheets to cover the backside of the kit's windows.  The assembly line was Walthers rooftop units with the conveyor system scratchbuilt out of Evergreen sheets and strips.  Industrial green colors were Rustoleum 2X.  All of the assorted tanks, pallets, etc came out of my plastic "shoe box" of assorted detail stuff.

Kidney stone was stuck between kidney and bladder.  I tried Tylenol and a heating pad for the first 5 days and then the Urologist sent me to the ER for a CAT scan and real pain meds.  I was worthless on a few attempts to go to my office--no one should have been getting legal advice from me with the fog I was in.  Our local train show  was on day 13 and some friends set up and watched the few things that I sent for the table I had reserved.  My very supportive wife drove me to the show for an hour and I did get to see Mike from Railwire.

Final passing of the stone was rather uneventful.  Using my digital calipers it was rod shaped at 6.5 mm long by 2.5 mm in diameter.  Urologist has sent it out to test what it was made of probably so that I can be told what other food that I like that I shouldn't have in the future.  All in all I'm happy that I waited until the 4th quarter of life to have my first stone.  Lots of folks have them much younger.
Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8454
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2019, 02:33:28 PM »
Flat earther in the airforce? Where you fly jets high enough to see the curvature of the earth?  :facepalm:
Granted they are just starting and have likely not been up that high, but wow are they going to have an eye opener if they are flying.

Just the one.  Nice enough kid... FWIW he didn't go to pilot training.  For his year group just under 50% of them got pilot slots.  He's also not missiles so that's probably good too.  I don't recall what AFSC he was assigned but it was in mission support.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 02:38:11 PM by Dave V »

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5475
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2019, 02:56:29 PM »
+8
Never really kept track of it, but now that working on my car rely's on the outside temp. About 5-1/2 to 6 months out of the year are a total waste of time.   :|

Got my bumpers and fog lights mounted to the car.

Gotta get the headliner done so I can install the windshield...

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4529
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2019, 04:58:07 PM »
Never really kept track of it, but now that working on my car rely's on the outside temp. About 5-1/2 to 6 months out of the year are a total waste of time.   :|

I love it!  Looks period, and almost stock from the front (except for the color, which BTW is nice), then you walk around to see the side and it is like: Wow!

Very tastefully done.
. . . 42 . . .

Kentuckian

• Crew
  • "This all started with Romans 10:9!" -Apologetix
  • Respect: +469
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2019, 05:19:36 PM »
+1

Anecdotal. Several years ago an Institute of Transportation Engineers conference was held in Cincinnati, OH. The conference was for both practicing professionals and engineering students. The National Underground Railroad Freedom Center had recently opened. As part of the local arrangements committee, I drove a vanload of students around to various events during the week.

One of the tours was of the NURFC. Before the tour, some of the students thought it was some sort of subway system. Also, most were unfamiliar with the significance of the Ohio River and the Northwest Territory to our country’s history, even though they were from the states that made up the old Territory.
Modeling the C&O in Kentucky.

“Nature does not know extinction; all it knows is transformation. ... Everything science has taught me-and continues to teach me-strengthens my belief in the continuity of our spiritual existence after death. Nothing disappears without a trace.” Wernher von Braun

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2019, 05:26:54 PM »
+3

I neglected to mention that I, too, am restoring a Volkswagen Beetle. Here's mine, sitting next to a stock car to show how much I've lowered it.

No fog lights yet, tho... :trollface:

(And yes, that's a real model in an unretouched, admittedly crappy photo.)

« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 05:32:46 PM by David K. Smith »

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +707
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2019, 06:09:41 PM »
FWIW I encountered a *flat earther* in the introductory meteorology elective I taught at the Air Force Academy so yeah, it's plausible. 
Would this individual have thought that there was no benefit from flying on a great-circle route?

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4529
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2019, 06:44:18 PM »
+1
Would this individual have thought that there was no benefit from flying on a great-circle route?

Flath-earthers have nifty explanations (which fit their theories) for everything.  As I understand, a lot of them are conspiracy theories, or religion-based explanations.

Sort of like H0 purists.  :trollface: :trollface: :trollface:
. . . 42 . . .