Author Topic: Arnold Rapido S2 coupler conversion.  (Read 3452 times)

johnb

• Crew
  • Respect: +887
    • My blog
Re: Arnold Rapido S2 coupler conversion.
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2019, 12:29:25 AM »
Here you go Jon.  A dozen sets and your metal samples, coupler sample, and sample frame, boxed to go. 8) 

I was ready to change from printing to machining so figured I'd get them out while the printer was set up with resin in it.  It might have been weeks otherwise.  Here's a pic of the packaged parts, a dozen sets coming your way.  I kept the first single set run and one set of these finished.  Why, I don't know but maybe someday... :D 

They came out good.  Maybe you could get a nice assembled pic and post it as mine tend to be pretty lousy. ;)  They're washed, hole cleared out, ready to go.  Hope you like them. :)

(Attachment Link)
need a tester?

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +743
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2019, 01:06:31 AM »
+1
need a tester?

Jon's got some spares but I know he's got to fill orders already requested by several folks.  8)  Let him post up final results and go from there. 8)  If you need some I'm sure you can get them one way or another. :)
Mark G.

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2019, 09:58:49 PM »
+2
Sorry everyone especially Mark G. Aka (narrowminded) that this has stalled like it has but Family matters got in the way and had to be taken care of first, but I have had some time to work with the new parts from Mark and they came out great and fit perfectly!!

A couple of things I want to mention here about the installing of them. First off the original parts from Sunrise were designed to have the MT 1015 coupler to be attached to the pilot conversion and then glued in. They did it this way I believe so that you would not have to drill a hole up through the walkway and have it seen. Personally I do not have a problem with this because all I do is once I have the pilot installed I use a drop of white glue to fill the hole and then once dry I use a sharpie to paint it black. As you can see in my photo its hardly noticeable.

So the change that I have done is the hole in the pilot conversion is a thru hole instead of tapping for a 00-90 screw. If this is a problem then Mark can simply print them with a hole to be tapped.

Personally I'm not going to market these but I'm sure you can have Mark (narrowminded) print some up. I do have some extras but they have been spoken for already. towl1996, BCR751 I will be in touch with you in a couple of days.

Mark G. watch your mail there is $$ heading your way and thank you so much for doing this!!!
Jon

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2019, 04:16:51 AM »
+3

narrowminded

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2019, 12:17:56 PM »
+1
Very nice Jon! 8)  Details matter. :D  I'm glad they worked out. 

Was the fit in the rest of your locos as good as in the sample loco frame that you sent me?  I ask to be sure that there aren't any adjustments suggested due to variations on Arnold's end.

And anybody who might need some of these, PM me.  I'd be happy to print up a few. :) 
Mark G.

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2019, 08:24:25 PM »
Hello Mark,

I tried them in four other sills and they fit just fine!!

One simple change you could do for others is to possibly make the screw hole diameter
so it could be tapped for a 00-90. There may be some that might rather go the way Sunrise Enterprise
wanted them to be mounted by mounting the coupler to the conversion and then gluing it into the opening.
Thinking if you did that then if someone wants to do it my way by drilling and tapping the sill to mount
the coupler and conversion all they would need to do is drill out the screw hole to clear the screw.

Jon

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2019, 08:58:09 PM »
Mark G. check your inbox I PM'ed you.

Jon

narrowminded

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2019, 07:03:16 AM »
Hello Mark,

I tried them in four other sills and they fit just fine!!

One simple change you could do for others is to possibly make the screw hole diameter
so it could be tapped for a 00-90. There may be some that might rather go the way Sunrise Enterprise
wanted them to be mounted by mounting the coupler to the conversion and then gluing it into the opening.
Thinking if you did that then if someone wants to do it my way by drilling and tapping the sill to mount
the coupler and conversion all they would need to do is drill out the screw hole to clear the screw.

Jon

I think that the part as it came out of the printer was piloted for just that, then drilled out to your request.  I could furnish it clearance drilled as you requested or drilled and tapped for the 00-90 standard coupler screw.  8)  220/ 221, whatever it takes. ;) :D
Mark G.

narrowminded

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2019, 07:01:34 PM »
Spoke to Jon and he's out of these body mount coupler adapters after filling a few requests from some folks.  I have six sets in hand drilled out for the 00-90 screw to tap into the walkway from the bottom.  Others could be made with the tap in the adapter and then glue in to the body.  PM if needed. 8)
Mark G.

CRL

• Crew
  • Needs More Dirt.
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2019, 01:34:37 PM »
+1
I have a couple of Arnold S2’s and have an order pending at NWSL for 2 sets of replacement wheelsets. If those come through, I’d like to get a couple of the coupler conversation sets to get my 2 units updated. Then all I’ll need to do is get them converted to DCC, which promises to be a royal pain in the a$$.