Author Topic: Malmsbury (Australia) in T Gauge (1:480)  (Read 656 times)

martink

• Crew
  • Respect: +108
Malmsbury (Australia) in T Gauge (1:480)
« on: January 19, 2024, 06:46:22 AM »
+10
Well, I have completed another one of my T Gauge 6-foot layouts. This is just a basic watch-the-trains-go-by style of layout, and is designed to be the looks-after-itself member of any pair I take to exhibitions. It is in 1:480 scale and uses my usual linear motor drive for the trains. Everything is 3D printed in ABS on a basic FDM printer, except for the trees and some etched brass odds and ends.

Malmsbury is a minor station about 60 miles north of Melbourne, Australia, and has some local fame due to the nearby stone viaduct. The line was built in the 1860s and is the only Australian country line built to British mainline standards. The local politicians had collective heart failure when presented with the final bill, and all later lines were built on the cheap. The model is set around 1960 at the end of steam, but a couple of the trains are from earlier or later.

signalmaintainer

• Crew
  • Respect: +237
Re: Malmsbury (Australia) in T Gauge (1:480)
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2024, 08:57:44 AM »
+1
Simply amazing. Well done!
NSMR #1975, RMR #4

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3155
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2024, 10:10:25 AM »
I was just thinking about your work the other day.  Glad you are still at it.

I wonder if there is a way to get the magnetism (magic really) to make the driver rods work on your steam engines.

martink

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2024, 10:26:34 AM »
I wonder if there is a way to get the magnetism (magic really) to make the driver rods work on your steam engines.

Hmm, maybe getting the wheels to turn first!  If I start trying for something like that, then I lose the reliability.  For that video, I just set the layout running for 2 hours while I moved the camera around like a trainspotter, and there were no hiccups. 

Scott1984

• Crew
  • Respect: +52
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2024, 10:38:05 AM »
Love what you did with your video work. Looks amazing!!

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2024, 11:58:10 AM »
Hmm, maybe getting the wheels to turn first!  If I start trying for something like that, then I lose the reliability.  For that video, I just set the layout running for 2 hours while I moved the camera around like a trainspotter, and there were no hiccups.

That's why i mentioned the rods- it would give the illusion that the drivers are turning.

mark.hinds

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2024, 12:34:22 PM »

IMHO, given the small scale, that sort of detail wouldn't pay off.  Analyzing my instinctive response to it, my admiration comes from its ability to realistically depict the scene in a very tiny scale.  Both of those factors contribute to the enjoyment I get out of looking at it, and it never occurs to me to look for detail on the locomotives, or whether the legs on the horses (another layout of his) articulate when they move.  Just my personal opinion, of course. 

martink

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2024, 06:19:02 PM »
+6
I didn't intend to do any more videos of this layout, but when cleaning up found that I had quite a few pictures taken during design and construction, so I cobbled together a little presentation...

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2024, 04:22:48 PM »
I didn't intend to do any more videos of this layout, but when cleaning up found that I had quite a few pictures taken during design and construction, so I cobbled together a little presentation...

/>

I love this! Thanks for sharing that video. Your modeling and logic are amazing!