Author Topic: Question on BLI diesel paint  (Read 1236 times)

Sharky_McSharknose

• Crew
  • Respect: +79
Question on BLI diesel paint
« on: April 02, 2019, 02:16:39 PM »
I recently purchased a BLI NYC PA locomotive on clearance from my semi-local hobby shop. They have another one with the same road number. I was thinking of buying it and renumbering it with decals, but when I did my research on Spookshow's website, he brings up a pretty important caveat.

http://www.spookshow.net/loco/blipa.html

A note on paint removal - the paint on these models is unlike anything I've ever encountered before (some sort of powder-coat or plating scheme, I'm not sure), and traditional paint removal methods simply will not work (believe me, I tried them all). I checked with BLI and they informed me that it is virtually impossible to strip the paint off their models without damaging the shell in the process. So, if your idea is to custom paint one, you're either going to have to go with an undecorated unit or paint right over the top of a decorated unit.

So, does this mean the lettering/numbering is a part of the "powder-coating," or is it separately applied, like being pad-printed?

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
Re: Question on BLI diesel paint
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 04:12:54 PM »
Having stripped several models, i have a bit more expertise than most.

Most shells will strip in 91% alcohol. I used some other strippers for any remaining paint. BUT fuel tanks (and possibly black shell paint) will not strip at all. I ruined a fuel tank trying. Just paint over it.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 12:15:16 AM »
I don't know if BLI's advice applies to their very early N models, but I stripped the paint off their first run of a E7 to reveal  a white plastic shell. The hardest part is getting off all the detail parts and window glazing w/o destroying any of those, or cracking the very thin shell.
Must be painting season, w/ all these painting questions appearing.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 01:53:23 AM »
"Must be painting season"

I wonder how many modelers paint outdoors, rather than install a paint booth?  That could explain the uptick in questions, as the weather is improving over much of the country, and outdoor painting is more practical.
N Kalanaga
Be well

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 06:34:02 AM »
I certainly paint outside, or next to an open window with a box fan in another window blowing into the room to push the spray particles out the first window.

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +564
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 09:26:43 AM »
Still waiting for an actual answer to the op's original question about removing the numbers, only.

Let's not drift this thread too far before we get that answer.  Then we can drift away into the multiple meanings of IPA.

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1720
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 01:23:01 PM »
+1
I'm pretty sure the numbers and such come off readily. It's the base color that I found immovable.

-Mark

Sharky_McSharknose

• Crew
  • Respect: +79
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 01:52:52 PM »
I'm pretty sure the numbers and such come off readily. It's the base color that I found immovable.

-Mark

Thanks for the info! Unless someone else scoops it up I have another PA on the way when I get my next paycheck.

I guess I could have tried using an eraser on my own PA to test, and if the number was baked on like the finish it wouldn't have come off. However, I prefer to know what I'm getting into before I possibly ruin something.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 04:23:05 PM »
I seem to recall that few years ago, on this forum, someone shared a technique of removing Tampo-printer road numbers and similar decoration. It involves toilet paper and decal setting solution and IIRC, it was developed by one of the Athearn employees.
. . . 42 . . .