Author Topic: Comprehensive guide to converting any coupler set to MTLs  (Read 820 times)

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
Comprehensive guide to converting any coupler set to MTLs
« on: April 04, 2019, 06:10:11 AM »
Is there such a thing? If not, why not? Now that everybody (almost) has abandoned the Rapido coupler there are lots of MTL-alternative couplers and many of them come body-mounted on their frame. I know that in some cases you can remove the old coupler from its box and stick an 1015 in, or unscrew the original box and screw on an MTL in its place, but obviously that's not the case for every mounting.
In my case, I'd like to change the couplers on an Atlas NE-6 and a Bachmann tankcar. The tankcar looks like just screw in the MTL box, but what about the caboose?
I'm sure there's other conversion tips for center-flows, hopper cars, tanks, etc which don't have large flat ends for body-mounts.
Anybody know of a guide for every kind of coupler change to MTLs

cgw

• Crew
  • Respect: +31
Re: Comprehensive guide to converting any coupler set to MTLs
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 09:22:59 AM »
there used to be a spread sheet/pdf on the Microtrains web site years ago that listed the direct conversions of locos and freight cars.    Its bee more that 8 years since I looked at it.     I do not know if they continued with it or update it in the last few years.

brokemoto

• Crew
  • Respect: +181
Re: Comprehensive guide to converting any coupler set to MTLs
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 09:28:49 AM »
I am assuming that you are aware that MT has conversion charts on its website for power and rolling stock.  While they are not complete, I have found most of what I needed to convert there.  There has been an occasional item that had no information.  For those, I simply had to use 1023s, 1015/1016, 2004, screws and shims as needed.

The chart on the MT website recommends 2004 (001 02 052) for the NE-6 caboose body mount conversion and adds the following note:

Remove Coupler box and cut the
mounting bosses from the underside of porch of to accept the
body mount. Trim screw flush
with the top of the porch and
touch up with paint

I have a pair of beat up and severely nicked Xurons that I use to chop MT coupler screws; something that I have found useful for caboose, open deck passenger car and switcher/RS  body mounts.

Is there something else that I am missing in your question?