Author Topic: My first attempt at scratch building in wood  (Read 1225 times)

johnb

• Crew
  • Respect: +891
    • My blog
My first attempt at scratch building in wood
« on: June 05, 2020, 03:04:12 AM »
+1
I like styrene more, I like styrene more, I like styrene more….

My fiend Joe D’Amato gave me some wood kirs a while back, one of them was complete, the other, not so much. But it did have a lot of lumber, some corrugated siding and board and batton…he’s also friends with the owner of Campbell Models in Oregon. Campbell doesn’t have any desire to make more N Scale kits, but their HO is a great source of inspiration…my inspiration for this is their Paint Factory…

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1085
Re: My first attempt at scratch building in wood
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 11:37:47 AM »
The grand “trick” is to always make you’re pieces and cuts slightly larger than you actually want them to be. A couple minutes sanding beats a couple hrs making duplicates.
-Al

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 11:49:30 AM »
Also... when you go to paint: be aware that the water in acrylics will cause these thin craft woods to warp.

Since I haven't played with but a couple of craftsman kits since the death of Floquil and general loss of solvent-based paints, I'm not an expert in warp prevention, more aptly "a victim". More experienced heads on TRW should chime in here to advise on how to control warping.

johnb

• Crew
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 12:15:22 PM »
Also... when you go to paint: be aware that the water in acrylics will cause these thin craft woods to warp.

Since I haven't played with but a couple of craftsman kits since the death of Floquil and general loss of solvent-based paints, I'm not an expert in warp prevention, more aptly "a victim". More experienced heads on TRW should chime in here to advise on how to control warping.
fortunately, the silver is Floquil old silver, and I sealed it with clear coat

Tom Todd

• Crew
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 01:56:35 PM »
+2
In order to paint a thin section of wood with acrylics, you need to paint both sides at the same time.  This will eliniate the warping since the tension on the wood that causes the warping is the sme on both sides, canceling out the warping.  You need to hold that wood with a clothes pin attached to a board, so that both sides can be accessed at the same time.  Once the paint is dry, you need go back and paint the portion of the wood that had been previosly covered by the clothes pin.

Tom
Go Great; Go Great Northern

Or SP&S

johnb

• Crew
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 05:35:38 PM »
+1
I have installed all of the Grandt Line doors and windows and I made the sliding doors on the long side.
I accidentally made the dock a little bit too long, but easy to fix. I am now looking for an interior and skylights. The roof is going to be tar paper.

johnb

• Crew
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2020, 03:17:16 AM »
Anyone have a good interior picture that I could print on cardstock?

johnb

• Crew
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2020, 05:08:43 PM »
+1
I wrapped up the scratch build today, the hardest part of it was finding an image to turn into an interior. Fortunately, the St. Louis NMRA has a lot of free downloads. http://www.gatewaynmra.org/2002/easy-industrial-building-interiors/

The roof is made out of cardstock and shipping labels. I printed a Clever Models tar paper texture on to a 8×11 label and cut to fit.

I really need to work on the palm trees and invest in a valance for better lighting