Author Topic: ATSF Los Angeles Division, circa 1949  (Read 2080 times)

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +617
Re: ATSF Los Angeles Division, circa 1949
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2019, 03:38:35 PM »
As you're finding, Google Earth and their street view are incredible modeling tools.  The last two scenes I've done were modeled using these tools.

No argument there Jim, I use it a lot for modeling and other things (like wondering about strange cities and hiking trails). But GE is not always useful for my circa 1949 modeling era... a lot has changed since then. Still, an excellent resource.
Otto

johnb

• Crew
  • Respect: +242
    • My blog
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2019, 08:33:31 PM »
No argument there Jim, I use it a lot for modeling and other things (like wondering about strange cities and hiking trails). But GE is not always useful for my circa 1949 modeling era... a lot has changed since then. Still, an excellent resource.
Otto
same here....

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2019, 12:11:54 AM »
+3
Well, I can’t say I’ve made a lot of progress, but I’ve been running trains in and out of LA staging yards to find bugs and electrical issues, and coupler problems etc etc. and I’ve been very successful (at finding them :P)
Still, looking across the mainlines adjacent to the LA River over First Street Yard to the LAUPT passenger facilities, I’m pleased with the way this is turning out; a lot more work but getting there. It’s 31 tracks across; without macros for track alignments I’d be lost running the thing.
Lots more work on the backdrop and elsewhere, but creative fun!
Otto

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #33 on: Yesterday at 03:53:15 PM »
The next building I need to tackle is the Santa Fe Avenue Freighthouse, represented in the photo above by the raw one by two for now. I have about 23” of length to work with, or seven 40’ cars on each of the two tracks serving it. In the days of LCL Merchandise trains, this was a moneymaker for the railroads, and Merchandise or Forwarder trains were some of the hottest on the railroad. Cars on adjacent tracks were lined up with plank bridges between them and doors lined up for through access. This freighthouse had four tracks, but I’ll settle for two. Switching it should be fun!
Pics below show the prototype in all its glory, and in its later, worn out years....
Otto