Author Topic: 1970s-1980s HCD Layout  (Read 1922 times)

dem34

• Crew
  • Respect: +23
Re: 1970s-1980s HCD Layout
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2019, 12:32:42 PM »
Yeah as long as you aren't attempting to run a brass super steamer on your switching layout #5s should be fine. I have #5s on my home layout at some crossovers and even my DD40x,Baldwin Centipede, and shudder scale passenger cars, go over them without issue.
-Al

pdx1955

• Crew
  • Respect: +173
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2019, 07:31:43 PM »
Since you have the width, the plan would look more interesting if you put the track at diagonal across the HCD instead of parallel to the edges. Another option would be to put a couple industries not parallel with the main tracks so the spurs have to curve to reach them . Many times spurs will branch off to access a warehouse that is perpendicular to the track or at 60+ degree angle - this would also work well if the track is not centered on the HCD. Another possibility is to put the whole scene through a gentle curve.
Peter

"No one ever died because of a bad question, but bad assumptions can kill"

conrail1973

• Crew
  • Respect: +75
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2019, 11:59:45 AM »
+1
Well after much thinking, I've decided to switch things up.  So this is what I have right now...

For starters, I'm tired of modeling a runaround track on my layout.  My vision at the moment is to model a segment of an industrial track and include a future extension with another HCD that can include a runaround in the future.  Modeling an industrial spur with warehouses is something that I'm trying to capture and all of the turnouts are facing the same direction.  I have plenty of cabooses that I could utilize for shoving platforms.  Next, I'm ready to start laying laying Code 55 track when I noticed this....

Which Code 55 Atlas turnout would be compatible with the True-Track turnout?  Well, it might be a few weeks before I post any progress, but at least I've got some operations that I can enjoy in the mean time..