Author Topic: Tomix Door layout  (Read 2070 times)

MoPac

• Crew
  • Respect: -97
Tomix Door layout
« on: September 20, 2020, 06:20:56 PM »
+2
Hello
This is my first post. I am currently in the process of building my first true layout. I have built Ttrack modules for myself and Ntrack modules for the club I was a part of from the early 90's to the early10's. I did however build a switching layout on a small coffee table years ago.

Now, I have some room and a new start. I am using a 30" x 6' lifetime table for the solid base. I have placed a 36"x 80" door on top with 1 1/2" foam board on top. I will need to order track and a Digitrax DCS52. At this time I cannot add any photos due to newbie post.

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
Re: Tomix Door layout
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 06:33:10 PM »
+1
Welcome!   Looking forward to following your progress.   Please don't hesitate to ask questions -- there is a great deal of knowledge available to you here ;)

Ed

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5409
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 07:57:08 PM »
+1
Glad to have you join the party.  There's hor's deouvres over there, and the hostess will be along shortly to take your beverage order.  Looking forward to seeing another Hollow Core Door layout come to fruition!
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

MoPac

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2020, 08:50:56 PM »
+1
Thanks Lee and Ed for the welcome!
I do have photos of my progress. But with my first post I couldn't share even the design. I have posted my photos elsewhere of my progress. By the way, the waiter said you were out of Old Milwaukee. :D

MoPac

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 09:55:09 PM »
Well, maybe soon I will be allowed to post some photos of my progress. Until then oh well. :?

MoPac

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 07:10:12 PM »
Well finally I am able to post my how to for my layout. First I bought the 36"x 80" Door than I went to a neighboring town to buy the 1 1/2" foam board. I had the foam cut a little oversize so I can file down to the size of the door. Before I filed down the foam I centered the table onto the door. Once I did this I drilled four holes through the door buying the predrilled holes on the bottom of the table. Yes, I used the extra foam board as a buffer to prevent me from drilling through the floor of the house. Then I used the 6" carriage bolts and the oversize washers to line up the hole on the opposite side with the bottom of the table. With the table being upright I placed the foam on top and aligned the foam with the table. I pressed down on the foam board to mark the location of the bolts for non drilling locations later on.

MoPac

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 07:13:57 PM »
+2
Next I placed the bolts through the holes and place the three pieces of foam board between the door and the table and finger tighten the wing nuts on the bottom of the table. Then I glued the bolts to the door and glued the foam to the door. I placed A lot of heavy items including a 3 foot section of 50lb rail. Afterwards I filed the foam board to match the door. Now I am in the process of ordering the track for the layout. The last photo is the design I created by using Railmodeler Pro.

MoPac

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2020, 03:42:23 PM »
+1
Here is my current locomotive fleet they are about half converted to DCC. The majority are Atlas then Kato's with four Intermountain's and one Hallmark in the mix.

MoPac

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2020, 05:46:33 PM »
More photos

MoPac

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2020, 10:29:06 PM »
Here's some photos of my first shipment of tracks. So far so good!

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2020, 12:13:57 AM »
+1
Looks like you are progressing nicely.   One suggestion (since your plan looks fairly ambitious wrt the amount of track) is to proceed incrementally, working on one portion (ie, whatever amount makes the most sense to you) at a time and making sure it is fully functional and you've resolved any significant problems before proceeding to the next step.

Ed

MoPac

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2020, 12:55:19 AM »
Thanks, I do have my design already built up. I just need to purchase the rest of the tracks for the build. I am using RailModeller Pro for the build.

MoPac

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2020, 12:25:28 PM »
+1
Well since I am waiting for extra funds to purchase some more of my track for my layout. I took it upon myself to make an oval to "test" out some of my new locomotives. Here is a video of me testing one of my intermountain SD40-2's under DC not DCC. I did find that it worked great by running it between 40-70 on my MRC 1500 controller. You will need the volume up on this.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGGgRWinOP5/

Lucas in Alaska

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2020, 02:45:14 PM »
+1
That is some nice looking track. Can't wait to see it when you get the rest of the track installed.

MoPac

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2020, 03:31:25 PM »
Oddly enough it will be a mixture of the old track what you see and the new track. I will have to arrange it to look good too since I am a little OCD. Though I don't know why Tomix went away from the brown ties and brown ballast. To me it looks better than the new stuff.