Author Topic: Long Island Railroad 1980s HCD Layout  (Read 501 times)

conrail1973

• Crew
  • Respect: +69
Long Island Railroad 1980s HCD Layout
« on: March 30, 2019, 05:27:42 PM »
+2
Good afternoon,

So it's time to make a change with what I have done for the past 12 years in N Scale.  I really enjoy industrial switching, and I have always been fascinated with the Long Island Railroad ever since I was growing up on the Island in the 80s.  The Garden City Secondary has also been an interesting stretch that I would like to model:

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrfantrips/freightbranch09-10-89/LISTfantrip1989garden-mitchelfieldsecondary.jpg

I also want to transition from Code 65 True-Track to Code 55 track as I want to accurately model branch line track.  As I embark on this project, I will continue to have the 30" x 80" HCD to work with as my man cave shares space in my wife's office  :D  After throwing together a few sketches, this is what I came up with:

I'm looking at modeling warehouses, a team track, a lumber yard, and possibly a power plant.  Most train lengths will be 5-6 cars.  My rolling stock will consist of 50' boxcars, gondolas, thrall all door boxcars, 3 bay covered hoppers, and airslide covered hoppers.  I also plan on utilizing #10 turnouts as #7 turnouts seem to be hard to find, and staging will be on one of the two main tracks.

So, I'm interested in any feedback as I begin this endeavor.

Thanks,

Adam

nscalbitz

• Crew
  • Respect: +32
Re: Long Island Railroad 1980s HCD Layout
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 08:59:42 PM »
Hi Adam
Weird this has gone by without comment to date  :o

So here's my initial thoughts
1- SO much space NOT railroad. Me, I'm here for the trains.
2- Plot in what tracks are for- ie the arrival zone etc. Then,
3- A rough idea of where your stated industry sites will appear.

Looking at it, the top centre will not be a loading area, given it is the only runaround you need to switch others?
Lower centre- heck I'd want to fill that with low rise/ low rent industries like a scrap/recycling yard, something for your depot/ team track (multiple spots) etc.
regards davew  :D