Author Topic: Opinions, conjecture or proof needed......CGW 1000  (Read 1455 times)

Tom L

• Crew
  • Respect: +495
Opinions, conjecture or proof needed......CGW 1000
« on: March 26, 2019, 06:31:07 PM »
Would like to do this in N scale. Online I read that it was shortened to 32 feet in 1958, but looking at pics and sketching it out in N scale,  32 feet seems pretty short compared to the pics. There is a photo of it in Stagners "CGW in color " book pulling a Swift  wooden Reefer, which I assume is at least 36 feet, and even considering the 3/4 perspective of the shot, it appears to be longer than the reefer car. So, here's a few pics taken from the web. It looks more like about 40 feet to me.

What do you think?

WCFN100, you know of such things, any info?

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Thanks
Tom L
Wellington CO

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: Opinions, conjecture or proof needed......CGW 1000
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 09:37:43 PM »
If you can wait until the weekend, I have the shop diagram.

Jason

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 10:49:57 PM »
+1
Found a copy I could access without being home.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

If you're interested, I have the main body drawn in 3D but it's drawn without rivets because Shapeways was the best option when I did it.

When I get home I could look at where I left off on the drawing.  I think I had got a bit hung up on the radiator section and all of the associated piping.

edit:

I'm at least this far -

Jason

« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 10:52:28 PM by wcfn100 »

Tom L

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 05:35:38 AM »
Thanks Jason! I think I used to have that drawing saved somewhere but couldn't find it. I did see your drawings when I searched Railwire.  The inaccurate 32' length came from the website of those who actually have 1000 in their possession, the Nevada State Railroad Museum.  Maybe a typo?

http://www.nsrm-friends.org/nsrm87.html

Here's my stack of parts, the Tomytec TM-21 chassis is about the right length (and runs very smoothly) but the center to center truck spacing is about 2 feet longer. I'll check the dimensions a little closer later today.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Thanks again!

Tom L

cgw

• Crew
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 09:43:15 PM »
hi Jason  would you be willing to share your 3d model.      I would love to try and print it on my photon printer.    And try to develop the radiator section and associated plumbing on the top.   If All goes well Ill send you a finished shell and  also one for Tom.    I have been looking to get back into modeling the great weedy for a while and this will give me some motivation. I am going to go through my slide collection, video and books to see if I can get some roof top views.     

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 03:15:57 PM »
hi Jason  would you be willing to share your 3d model.   

I don't mind sharing it, but I need to take a look at it and see what I did expecting to print it through Shapeways.  I think some of the doors are separate inserts that could print without the support fuzz.

Jason

Tom L

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 04:02:15 AM »
hi Jason  would you be willing to share your 3d model.      I would love to try and print it on my photon printer.    And try to develop the radiator section and associated plumbing on the top.   If All goes well Ill send you a finished shell and  also one for Tom.    I have been looking to get back into modeling the great weedy for a while and this will give me some motivation. I am going to go through my slide collection, video and books to see if I can get some roof top views.     

That would be awesome!

Tom L

cgw

• Crew
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 05:31:05 AM »
Thank you Jason for your willingness to share the file.   The printer that I am using does not produce any fuzz.  So that would not be an issue.   I have some good pictures of the radiator sections of the front / left and right sides  however I have no pictures of the top view of the radiator section.   Any idea of what it would look like.  Was it a solid panel or was there openings for the cooling coils,   fans etc.     As soon as I figure out how to post pictures  ill put  up a couple of sketches.     

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 01:24:23 PM »
As soon as I figure out how to post pictures  ill put  up a couple of sketches.   

If you host the photos on your own photo hosting site, just include  the link to your photo while you are composing your message. If you want to host your photos here, see https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=42854.0 .
. . . 42 . . .

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 04:17:30 PM »
I have some good pictures of the radiator sections of the front / left and right sides  however I have no pictures of the top view of the radiator section.   Any idea of what it would look like.  Was it a solid panel or was there openings for the cooling coils,   fans etc.     

I'm in the same boat.  Usually when I run out of resources, I check out the brass train market and see what they've done in the past.  I'd probably model the top the same as the front and rear with the coils.

Like this -

If someone finds a definitive shot showing some sort of cover, it'd be easy to add that later too even a completed model

Jason

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2019, 01:45:03 PM »
So here's what I think is as far as I got.

All the doors and windows are separate inserts and the radiator section is several pieces.  Not sure if it would print like this.

Jason