Author Topic: Challenge #3 - Detroit Rock City  (Read 251 times)

jpec

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Perception and reality engage in a daily civil war
  • Respect: +103
Challenge #3 - Detroit Rock City
« on: March 26, 2019, 11:50:33 AM »
+2
Ok...I'm in. My friend Cliff Enz, who recently passed on, was an even bigger fan of urban decay than I am. He built a T-Trak module based in Detroit looking from the abandoned Packard factory to the abandoned Michigan Central station with a bunch of industrial junk between (actually parts from a busted-up hard drive he had), and some funky colored mixed medium scenery. I'm going to strip it and rebuild it and add a few other things using materials and techniques I've never used before as part of my "Year of Modeling Uncomfortably" program.
Here's how it looks today:
"It's sad that you have to die to see how many people loved you..." - Rodney Bingenheimer

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +876
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Challenge #3 - Detroit Rock City
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 12:24:21 PM »
That's going to be awesome.  If I wasn't already elbow deep in my Cumberland Station rig, I'd be all over doing a scrap yard scene again.  I've got lots of new fodder to work with!

I shied away from it this time because years ago I did a scrap yard in the 144 Square Inch challenge...

Lee
Route of the Alpha Jets

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

peteski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1657
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 05:35:40 PM »
+1
Man, all I can think of when seeing the thread's subject line is that Kiss song.  One of my favorites.

--- Peteski de Snarkski
--- Honorary Resident Curmudgeon

jpec

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Perception and reality engage in a daily civil war
  • Respect: +103
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 05:05:04 PM »
+1
Lest ye think I've been slacking (well, I have - but for good causes), the urban renewal to re-ruin squad has been at work. Been broadening my horizons getting familiar with battery-powered LED lights and effects which will play a big part in this project, getting building ideas together (big thanks to DKS for pointing me to the N Scale Architect for supplies), etc. One thing that's always been a blessing/curse for T-Trak is Unitrak. While it's darn near bulletproof reliable, I'm just not a fan of its appearance with the clunky joiners and the ties. I adore Atlas's True Track and I really wish it wasn't so orphaned but I understand the need for sound footing for manufacturers for the more popular lines is needed before they can move on to the bench players.
So, I figured if I used the smallest Unitrak pieces at the ends I could put True-Track in between. I've seen it  done with Code 80 and cork so what the heck. Turns out Atlas has a 10" piece in True-Track and of course Klein's was missing that particular one. Fifer Hobby to the rescue. It showed up in today's mail and with a little joiner fiddling, it works out fine. It covers that little smidge of overhang you need (rather than get technical, I always lined the rear of the first tie with the module edge and so far so good) to hook up with your neighbor.  A little paint and ballast along with a bit of chicanery should hide the obvious differences.
"It's sad that you have to die to see how many people loved you..." - Rodney Bingenheimer