Author Topic: Cumberland Station TTrak and Other Adventures  (Read 34784 times)

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3081
Re: Cumberland Station TTrak and Other Adventures
« Reply #270 on: February 28, 2022, 10:43:45 PM »
Apparently the story with the SDs is WMSR is storing them on the property for Precision until they get a lease agreement from someone.  It lieu of full storage fees, Precision is allowing WMSR to use them on excursions etc.  If/when someone leases them, Precision will slap their paint on the units.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5391
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #271 on: March 02, 2022, 01:15:18 PM »
+5
I received an email from Dave Ferrari about the September N Scale Weekend set up, so it's time to put this project back on the cooker, even if it's still pretty far away from the front burner.

This is the first of three 30 degree modules I will build to create a long gentle bend across four modules, forming an inside 90.

It's not going to be standard TTrak geometry, but I plan to build a couple of "compensation" modules enable it to fit in a run of standard size units.

I'm working on laying it all out in the computer to see how close I can get before I actually move on into construction, but conceptually I'm sure it will work.

This particular wedge will fit between the the two I have already done, and add a semblance of the prototype curve that exists just west of the Cumberland station.

This will give me a bit more urban scenery to do, and set the stage for extending west toward the Narrows, and east toward the bridge over the Potomac.

The biggest challenge is the the modules are up at the cabin, so before I can do much more I'll have to take this up there, or bring them back here so I can align the track and scenery elements properly.
I built the box itself over a year ago, so its basic geometry is good, but there will need to be some fine tuning.

Lee
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 01:19:15 PM by wm3798 »
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1069
« Reply #272 on: March 02, 2022, 04:10:42 PM »
Eh, double track spacing, a nibble of track over the edge. As long as theres some bolts under there its T-Trak.
-Al

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7949
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #273 on: March 02, 2022, 04:34:41 PM »
+1
Eh, double track spacing, a nibble of track over the edge. As long as theres some bolts under there its T-Trak.

I see you've been reading my TTRAK Dominoes manuscript for MRP...

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #274 on: March 02, 2022, 08:33:23 PM »
+3
I just had to go back a couple of pages to find the original concept sketch for this.

Rockin' It Old School

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2034
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #275 on: March 03, 2022, 11:15:27 AM »
Yay Lee.   I love it.

Everybody loved Cumberland, myself included, so you'll get a pass for whatever assumed T-trak standard there is, as long as you come and go at the ends.   You certainly know I've written my own rulebook.

I'm gearing up for September as well, with a lot more enthusiasm.   I finished Jamison, with all the working oil rigs on it and never got to show it anywhere.   I've got McCabe and Thompson to finish beyond Plywood Plains, we'll see.   McCabe now has the dual-gauge Rokuhan trackage on it, so that's certainly not normal!

My son the software engineer has a quote he likes that I've borrowed as well.... "The problem with standards is that everyone has their own", along with 'the problem with variables is that they change'.

motofavorite

• Crew
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #276 on: March 03, 2022, 02:39:48 PM »
That looks terrific. I like the creek...tunnel?...box?... I don't know what that is called. And the station is really nice.

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #277 on: March 03, 2022, 04:50:18 PM »
+2
@motofavorite that's a fairly coarse model of the prototype just west of the station in Cumberland.  It's sort of a box culvert, part of the Army Corps of Engineers flood controls that keep Wills Creek where it belongs.  Because of the skewed alignment of the railroad as it crosses, they opted for a series of steel I beams rather than a more typical bridge deck. 
The rails are actually bedded right to the steel work.  It's pretty cool.
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #278 on: March 03, 2022, 05:01:06 PM »
+3
And, in the "Other Adventures" department, I've dusted off the roundhouse module once again.

I bought some surplus Unitrak from Matt Fry (I see you lurking over there, Matt!) Really for the purpose of completing a couple of turnback loops to make the station modules functional. 
But as you can see, the Unitrak is fulfilling its role as a tinkerer's best friend.

I've been kicking around several potential scenarios for the future of this thing, but I keep coming back to the fact that I just love this roundhouse, and the potential it has both as a great photo bed, and as a show stopper as part of a modular set up at train shows.

And while I don't quite have all the bits and pieces yet, it could also serve as a proper junction point for that sleepy branch line I'm always carrying on about...but...

Anyway, like I have time or room for any of that!!

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #279 on: March 06, 2022, 04:05:44 PM »
+2
Nevermind.

I crated it up for long term storage while I continue to debate its fate.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #280 on: August 22, 2022, 09:37:54 PM »
+1
No forward progress on anything here, but the modules will be on display at N Scale Weekend in Altoona, Sept. 17 and 18.  Miss it at your own peril.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2034
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #281 on: August 29, 2022, 02:39:49 PM »
+1
First time I saw the Cumberland station was on Lee's 'big' layout, and so glad to see that it got saved and converted into what now is an epic T-trak module of the entire area around the depot.   

What blew my mind was the lights in the buildings - and the on-off switches are disguised as window air conditioners.  Brilliant.  That and Abby Road tribute reward for those that really study it.

If you're on a classic Rock kick, Lee, you need something on the turntable module lettered for Grand Funk Railroad, number 45...... or 33.3   

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #282 on: October 08, 2022, 02:52:42 PM »
+2
Oh, sure.  To the naked eye it looks like a rack for trim pieces to dry after staining and varnish.

But evidence suggests there may be a nefarious plot afoot!

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #283 on: August 27, 2023, 11:54:24 PM »
+5
Well, I worked on rounding up firewood all day Saturday, and also groomed my parking pad in the unlikely event that I'll be welcoming guests. 
Then today I got the basement cleared out, put away a gazillion tools, and cleaned up the what will soon be the new bathroom.
So naturally, the only fitting reward was to drag out the Cumberland modules and the big box of Unitrak, and see what happens next...

The Laurel Valley inspection car made the first loop.

Which was joined by a nice excursion from the @DKS Hi Rail collection.

The main point of the exercise was to figure out the geometry to do a full set of modules using this configuration.

I also built a new single.  I was going to enter it in the fundraiser in memory of Mike Philips, but I don't think I can have it done that fast.  ( all my scenery supplies and details are still in a storage unit.

Now that I know what I need to build, I can start working on some more modules.  Until then, how about a little JFRTM!

Lee
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 11:56:37 PM by wm3798 »
Rockin' It Old School

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #284 on: August 28, 2023, 06:17:24 AM »
Oh no!  Dead guy at the crossing!   :trollface: