Author Topic: Weekend Update 3/10/19  (Read 8035 times)

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
Re: Weekend Update 3/10/19
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2019, 03:29:55 PM »
Ghetto comes to N scale!  :D. But it's so awesome!  :)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4603
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2019, 03:59:42 PM »
Well...  I think "resourceful" might be too weak a word to describe that!

LOL!  Reminds me of one of those "There, I fixed it" videos or memes.   Lee must be one of those Duct Tape/WD-40 guys!  A real men!
. . . 42 . . .

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5405
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2019, 04:23:47 PM »
+5
LOL!  Reminds me of one of those "There, I fixed it" videos or memes.   Lee must be one of those Duct Tape/WD-40 guys!  A real men!

Those of us who grew up during the dark ages of N scale are keen to point out:  We've done so much with so little for so long that we can now pretty much do anything with nothing. :D

I confess, I've been using scrap rail for lighting projects for years, but mostly for structures.  With all the layouts I build and tear down, it's sort of a renewable resource...

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4603
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2019, 04:49:35 PM »
Those of us who grew up during the dark ages of N scale are keen to point out:  We've done so much with so little for so long that we can now pretty much do anything with nothing. :D

I confess, I've been using scrap rail for lighting projects for years, but mostly for structures.  With all the layouts I build and tear down, it's sort of a renewable resource...

Lee

Well, my first lighting job (of a Tonka-Toy-size red soft-plastic toy dump truck), when I was around 6 or 7 years old, consisted of drilling out the headlights using twirling scissors as a knife, installing flashlight bulbs for headlights and hooking things up by using some insulated stranded wire I got from  my father.   I wrapped one wire around the metal base, and attached the other wire to the bottom bulb terminal using some modeling clay.  They were wired to a battery sitting in the truck's bed. It was a 3R12 battery (popular in Poland in those days). It had flat strip terminals so I also wrapped the wires around the terminals.  It worked fine for a while (when the clay was properly holding the wire to that bottom bulb terminal).

But from that point on, my lighting installs just got more advanced and neater.  I don't think I have used modeling clay as solder ever again.  :D Thanks for bringing back my early childhood memories!
. . . 42 . . .

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2019, 08:03:46 PM »
+2
Well...  I think "resourceful" might be too weak a word to describe that!

I think "MacGyvered" is what you're looking for...  https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/macgyver
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +993
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2019, 10:51:01 PM »
+1
Gracious! Is that you wanted the Rivarossi contact strips for?  It's amazing!
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2019, 10:52:49 PM »
+2
Ha! Today I acquired a PRB ATSF watertank, 16' dia. by 45' tall, just about perfect for lower Keenbrook, from our own @Kentuckian. I was somewhat reluctant to spend money on a brass model, but it is exquisite (and perhaps I can use it to make copies of some other tanks I need in styrene). The ladders and gauges are beautifully done, as are the rivets and seams. Keenbrook was the only functional watering facility on Cajon Pass during the late steam era, so perhaps the splurge was worth it. (There was emergency water in Cajon as well, but it meant stopping most trains on the mainline, and was frowned upon).
Pic below.
Otto K.

Santa Fe Guy

• Crew
  • Respect: +359
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2019, 11:04:28 PM »
A nice, quiet weekend at home. Excited to tackle the 29" long Aliso Street bridge extension project for my "Downtown LA" yards. The bridge is too long to fit on my workbench, assembly on a table. Styrene, basswood, and 1/16" MDF laser cut railings. So far so good, concerned with warpage...
Tbc...
Otto K
Otto, if you have enough clearance under the bridge could you insert some 1/4 inch square aluminum the length of the bridge. Might help against warping.
Just a thought.
Rod.
Santafesd40.blogspot.com

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2019, 05:19:21 AM »
Working on my E7 for the Gopher/Badger.  I decided I didn't want to deal with the cookie-cutters on the LL mechanism, so I'm using a Kato unit.

Wasn't the ConCor E7 shell a pretty good model? Could use detailing, of course. I stuck one or two on my KATO E8 chassis with no problem.

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2019, 05:23:12 AM »
My parting shot for the weekend:

The only thing missing is that bright hot Colorado high country sunshine. Need 300W lighting to get that but would probably melt something.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2019, 08:20:24 AM »
Otto, if you have enough clearance under the bridge could you insert some 1/4 inch square aluminum the length of the bridge. Might help against warping.
Just a thought.
Rod.

And a good thought it is, Rod. I shoulda thought of it sooner, too late now.
Turns out the "flat" table I built it on has a little sag in in it :facepalm:
No harm done, I should be able to pin it down.
Thanks anyway my friend.
Otto

aikorob

• Crew
  • Respect: +52
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2019, 05:43:21 PM »

Lee

no comments about the ginormous wood screws holding the track piece in place?
MacGyver would be proud!

Joetrain59

• Crew
  • Respect: +75
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2019, 01:01:49 AM »
Lee, awesome job. What/whose led's did you use?
 Thanks,
 Joe D