Author Topic: Looking for Refinery-Sized Oil Tanks  (Read 428 times)

Kentuckian

• Crew
  • "This all started with Romans 10:9!" -Apologetix
  • Respect: +45
Re: Looking for Refinery-Sized Oil Tanks
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2019, 01:57:50 PM »
How about spray bomb caps? Especially the larger ones, like on the Great Stuff cans.
Modeling the C&O in Eastern Kentucky.
C&O HS

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +422
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2019, 02:21:21 PM »
How about spray bomb caps? Especially the larger ones, like on the Great Stuff cans.

They would work for tanks for a small bulk distributor.  But Mike's right - big refinery tanks are generally 100-250 ft diameter and thus not easily duplicated with common stand ins.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +770
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2019, 09:36:36 AM »
A Walther's HO "wide" tank arrived yesterday... perfectly proportioned for the spot on the layout getting the refinery. I'll clip the handrails as suggested to get a sense of the overall look, and likely get a couple more. Minor is the "what am I going to do with these???" containment berm pieces. Aside from the proportions, I don't need them - the refinery has a perimeter berm - and better-looking berms could be cut out of pink foam anyway if I was looking to do that. Half the kit is the berm. :shoulder-shrug:

I'm also thinking that two of the "tall" tanks cut down as @Philip H suggested could be used in the back as forced perspective. Robyn also had a super idea which works in this location - painting tanks on the backdrop, also in forced perspective, to fill-out the "farm". Added bonus is I was scratching my head on how to fill the adjacent corner, which was previously the end of the transition to the upper level - plenty of space for a tank farm, with the railroad running through through the middle of it all.

Adding Erik's bits in strategic locations would flesh it out even better. This promises to be a great scene. Thank you, everyone!
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. We just don't tell anybody. -Bob Ross