Author Topic: Stupid T-trak module questions  (Read 1820 times)

Kentuckian

• Crew
  • "This all started with Romans 10:9!" -Apologetix
  • Respect: +64
Stupid T-trak module questions
« on: March 12, 2019, 08:03:00 PM »
If the t-trak module will be in the “normal” configuration with the flat surface on top, I assume the threaded inserts go in the square corner blocks as shown? Are the holes in the top of the module left open to adjust the leg bolts?
Modeling the C&O in Eastern Kentucky.
C&O HS

mclarenf119

• Crew
  • Respect: +30
Re: Stupid T-trak module questions
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 10:20:51 PM »
I'm in the same boat as you as I am about to start my first module, so take my answer with a grain of salt. But from what I've read, yes those holes are so you can adjust the module height from the top without having to fiddle with any wrenches/awkward angles from the bottom.

The intent is to put some sort of easily removable scenery element to hide them on the top. Hope this helps!
Eric O.

squirrelhunter

• Crew
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 10:41:37 AM »
You are both correct- those holes are meant for using a hex key to raise or lower the module without having to go under the module.

hminky

• Crew
  • Respect: +35
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 01:12:14 PM »
Here is a good T-Trak site discussing more than boxes:

http://t-trakhandbook.com/TTrak.001000000/TTrak.001000000.htm?AAO

Harold

Kentuckian

• Crew
  • "This all started with Romans 10:9!" -Apologetix
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 10:18:19 PM »
Thanks, everyone!
Modeling the C&O in Eastern Kentucky.
C&O HS

ksmiley

• Respect: +2
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 06:30:01 PM »
Our club sets all modules at 4" and everyone comes along with a 4" piece of card, plastic, whatever, and sets the height before clicking them together. Also, adjusting a small amount once they are setup isn't that hard.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +982
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 11:07:25 AM »
Since this thread is already here, I'll just pile on a bit.

I've got the track wiring all set, with the blue/white-white blue thing, and I see there are modular connectors at the end of the wire, which I assume click into whatever the communal power supply is, be it DC or DCC.  Do I need to have something to tie these together, or is that all I need to worry about?

Second electrical question...  Y'all know how I feel about structure lights.  (I like them ... A LOT)

Is there a community bus for AC power as well?  And if so, what kind of connector do I need?  Or if left to my own devices, such as a 9v wall wart, is there some provision for 110 around the circuit to plug in?
I'd hate to put a lot of effort into lighting the modules and not be able to show it off.

That's it for now.
All the Best,
Lee
Route of the Alpha Jets

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1929
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 11:28:23 AM »
1. Yep. They tie into these things (exept in @arbomambo 's grown up club): https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/kato-ho-n-24827-unitrack-3-way-extension-cord/. Which you can then attach to more of those, OR to a control system with one of these: https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/kato-ho-n-24843-unitrack-adapter-cord/

2. There isn't a communal bus per the spec, but you're more than welcome to come up with something for yourself and share the recommendation with those you typically hang out with. I think my mom solves the problem with 9 volt batteries.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +982
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 11:33:46 AM »
So I need to provide a three way for each module?  Or is that provided and I just plug in...  Looks like a few more dollars will be heading to Cockeysville.

And yes, the battery solution was advised over in the Challenge thread.  Excellent plan.  I can include a DPDT that switches from battery to a wall wart when the rig is up on the shelf at home.

Thanks.
Lee
Route of the Alpha Jets

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +211
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 02:00:17 PM »
With T-Trak layouts, AC is hard to come by since it's usually near or at the command station/box that runs the entire layout.  The only AC extension cord is to that box.  So if your module is near the box, great.  But it's it at the far end, then you're likely SOL.  People often use 9V batteries since LEDs consume very little current to be power independent.

You can also tap into the track power (pick a track) in your module by using a combination of a bridge rectifier and some dropping resistors.

arbomambo

• Crew
  • Respect: +382
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 02:52:09 PM »
So I need to provide a three way for each module?  Or is that provided and I just plug in...  Looks like a few more dollars will be heading to Cockeysville.

And yes, the battery solution was advised over in the Challenge thread.  Excellent plan.  I can include a DPDT that switches from battery to a wall wart when the rig is up on the shelf at home.

Thanks.
Lee

No...since Kato connectors are the T-TRAK standard, all 'powered'  modules need only have them... A common bus wire should have the 2 Kato 3-way receptacles (one for red track and one for yellow track) tapped into them every 3-6'. three standard wired modules can be plugged into each pair of these. Even though our group uses powerpole connections, since Kato connectors are the standard, we equip our club bus wire with both powerpole connectors and these Kato 3-way plugs, allowing any standard module to use our bus.
"STILL Thrilled to be in N scale!"

Bruce M. Arbo
CATT- Coastal Alabama T-TRAK
NTRAK Board of Directors
https://nationalt-traklayout.com/

[/ur

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +639
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 03:02:42 PM »
The 'other' module kit guys t-kits.com - who closed - had the ability to order what I think was an Anderson Powerpole connector system color-coded for red and yellow lines, prepackaged, for T-trak use.   With the chassis mounting plug.   Pretty slick, I've already done four modules that way and made power adapters to my DC systems when I'm not plugged into a big Ttrak layout.   There's been no confusion wiring mine in.

I'm not sure there's a different bus 'standard' but that's what I used, and while I can see you can get the different parts and make your own, it would involve getting the right colored plugs, a crimper, etc.   

So does anybody else do this now?  If it's out there I can't find it.   

As my son is fond of saying, "the problem with standards is that everybody has their own" , and that certainly applies here.

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +263
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2019, 03:15:52 PM »
Second electrical question...  Y'all know how I feel about structure lights.  (I like them ... A LOT)
Is there a community bus for AC power as well?  And if so, what kind of connector do I need?
See section 6.4: http://www.t-trak.org/T-TRAK%20Standards.pdf

arbomambo

• Crew
  • Respect: +382
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2019, 04:06:54 PM »
The 'other' module kit guys t-kits.com - who closed - had the ability to order what I think was an Anderson Powerpole connector system color-coded for red and yellow lines, prepackaged, for T-trak use.   With the chassis mounting plug.   Pretty slick, I've already done four modules that way and made power adapters to my DC systems when I'm not plugged into a big Ttrak layout.   There's been no confusion wiring mine in.

I'm not sure there's a different bus 'standard' but that's what I used, and while I can see you can get the different parts and make your own, it would involve getting the right colored plugs, a crimper, etc.   

So does anybody else do this now?  If it's out there I can't find it.   

As my son is fond of saying, "the problem with standards is that everybody has their own" , and that certainly applies here.

T-Kits was the brainchild of Terry Nathan, who passed away last summer after a long battle with cancer.
I agree that his bus system ( which he sold on his website) is the system we adopted. We continue to manufacture more bus wires to this exact standard ( powerpoles with red and yellow colors to match red and yellow track designations)
T-TRAK is trying to adopt these standards for bus wiring but is hitting lots of resistance, due to so many older clubs having their own system.
We also use the accessory power bus system that T-Kits marketed. We construct our bus wires to this exact standard and provide it at every setup for those that want to tap into it for their accessory equipped modules.
"STILL Thrilled to be in N scale!"

Bruce M. Arbo
CATT- Coastal Alabama T-TRAK
NTRAK Board of Directors
https://nationalt-traklayout.com/

[/ur

160pennsy

• Crew
  • Respect: +55
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2019, 10:21:44 AM »

Is there a community bus for AC power as well?  And if so, what kind of connector do I need?  Or if left to my own devices, such as a 9v wall wart, is there some provision for 110 around the circuit to plug in?
I'd hate to put a lot of effort into lighting the modules and not be able to show it off.

@wm3798

Our club has successfully implemented the below wiring standard to provide layout power to the various LEDs & accessories found on our T-TRAK modules. A single 15VAC power supply (provided by the club) feeds the Accessory Bus and eliminates the need for individual wall-warts for each module.

6.4.Accessory Bus
Some T-TRAK modules will include operating accessories (such as building and street lights, animated scenes, etc.) that require
low voltage power to operate. Rather than having individual power supplies such as wall-warts, an Accessory Bus should be
available. It is run in the trough parallel to the Track Bus(es), and color coded and configured as shown in the table. Local
option can determine whether this bus will be 12VDC power or 15/16VAC power. If using DC, the cable should be labeled as a
White cable. If using AC, the cable should be labeled as Brown.
In layouts with AC accessory power buses, modules that need DC must use a bridge rectifier circuit to convert the power to DC.
Voltage regulators should be mounted on the module(s) as required to provide the correct voltage to specific accessories. (e.g.,
Miller Engineering signs require 4.5V AC/DC.)

Paul Ohegyi
Director
https://nrmrc.org/