Author Topic: Small diameter drill bits  (Read 2349 times)

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
Re: Small diameter drill bits
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2019, 04:24:30 PM »
Part of my pile from the last 8 years:

You can see I got a brand new set ready to go.

The case with the carbide #80's, that was full. I found it on ebay for around $15. I break those just looking at them...  :P

I've also bought cheap sets on ebay that didn't seem to work well and when I looked close they didn't even have tips on them. I also have little envelopes full of #80 dits, what can I say I go through bits.

So now I look for the Excel set and sort it till I find the lowest price.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Excel-55510-Assorted-Drill-Bit-Set-W-Dome-Stand-20pcs/253530241715
https://www.amazon.com/Excel-55510-Assorted-Drill-Stand/dp/B0006N7374
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 04:28:24 PM by Chris333 »

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2019, 04:33:08 PM »

With those round sets it is not always a matter of breakage.   I've sent a set from the benchtop to the floor on a number of times, and it is rare to get all of the bits back.

Ed

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2019, 04:45:40 PM »
Oh I'm just hard on bits and always in a hurry (always use accelerator on my ACC, etc...) Plus I'm drilling brass a lot. I just don't think there is any brand #80 bit that wouldn't break easily. Like Max says it s great to get sharp bits so don't buy the cheap China sets.

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1779
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2019, 06:02:10 PM »
Oh I'm just hard on bits and always in a hurry (always use accelerator on my ACC, etc...) Plus I'm drilling brass a lot. I just don't think there is any brand #80 bit that wouldn't break easily. Like Max says it s great to get sharp bits so don't buy the cheap China sets.

Those cheap sets from China are the worst!  You see them all the time at hobby websites and on eBay.   I've tried them over the years.  Every time, I pitched them all in the trash promptly after trying one or two holes.
Some were so bad that they would actually bend like a paper clip - obviously not even made of hardened drill steel.  None of them could drill through metal for beans.  Maybe if all you want to do is knock a few holes through styrene or balsa wood, they would work.

I have that same Excel set that Chris has, but at this point, all the bits have been used up and replaced.  I just kept the holder so I can keep the sizes neat and handy on my workbench.