Author Topic: N-Trak Signal Bridges  (Read 3574 times)

rhwood

• Respect: +2
N-Trak Signal Bridges
« on: March 10, 2019, 08:15:26 PM »
I am building a pair of N-Trak modules with some complex crossovers between Red/Yellow/Blue/Alt-Blue and would like to install modern cantilevered signal bridges. I saw some 3-d printed signal bridges spaced for N-Trak with hooded signals on Shapeways, but those seem to have disappeared. Does anyone know where I might be able to find those or similar models?

https://pin.it/gbkyowghhqnhsj (Pinterest) shows the bridge I saw and was hoping to be able to use.

Randall Wood
Northern Virginia NTRAK
randall.wood@nvntrak.org
http://nvntrak.org

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8041
    • Conrail 1285
Re: N-Trak Signal Bridges
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 10:20:14 AM »
I would tread VERY carefully... you need bridges that not only LOOK good but that will also stand up to getting whacked when "that guy" is out cleaning track.

CNR5529

• Crew
  • Respect: +623
    • My Shapeways Store
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 10:41:38 AM »
I would tread VERY carefully... you need bridges that not only LOOK good but that will also stand up to getting whacked when "that guy" is out cleaning track.

What Ed said!

This signal bridge lasted all of two shows before being knocked off its foundation, and by the third show it was smashed beyond repair.  :RUEffinKiddingMe:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Because why not...

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 10:44:32 AM »
If they are the non-operating type, put neodymium magnets on the base.  Remove before show.  Put back when you get back home.

trainforfun

• Crew
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 11:01:32 AM »
I would like some too , the magnets at the base is a very clever idea .
Thanks ,
Louis

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 11:44:44 AM »
What Ed said!

This signal bridge lasted all of two shows before being knocked off its foundation, and by the third show it was smashed beyond repair.  :RUEffinKiddingMe:

Yeah... that's the NJI bridge. Super-fragile to begin with. I just built one for my personal layout and... heck... was afraid it was going to explode into a million bits just from handling on the bench. Nice model, but it's not going to make it to the layout for anything other than a temporary prop.

Here's what I'm working on now: https://www.ebay.com/itm/N-SCALE-WISEMAN-MODEL-SERVICES-NSN-MTSB-MULTI-TRACK-SIGNAL-BRIDGE-NS-ETCHED-KIT/382480775823 . This is the remaining stock of the N Scale of Nevada signal bridge, an etched metal (nickel-silver) kit. It was designed for N-Trak triple-track. It's not an easy kit, however, and I would be really reticent about subjecting that amount of time and effort to the frequent, random "oopsies" associated with N-Trak layout. FWIW.

IronPenguin

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 01:32:09 PM »
This looks pretty close to what you want:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/P8Z8JHWEM/n-quad-signal-cantilever-2l-2t-rh?optionId=92658961

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Mike Tennent
IronPenguin Electronics
https://tennentm.wixsite.com/ironpenguin

bman

• Crew
  • I gotta have more Conrail!
  • Respect: +160
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 03:30:36 PM »

So much truth in this. I modeled a pipe bridge for unloading tank cars on the siding on my module hoping it would outlast anything near the main lines. Didn't help much. I wound up repairing it numerous times until someone just flat dropped something on the module and flattened it and the industry building for the siding :facepalm:

If possible find a way to make it removable and install it after everything is set up and running and remove it before folks start taking everything apart.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 03:51:54 PM »
... If possible find a way to make it removable and install it after everything is set up and running and remove it before folks start taking everything apart.

Good luck with that. Our consistent experience is that teardown is a frantic exercise in "let's get outta here". Granted, there is some respect for personal modules - owner sets up and tears down his/her own stuff - but once something makes the eventual jump to "club module", Katy bar the door. We spend a lot of time at the subsequent show hunting for lost pieces and making repairs. :(

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 04:05:13 PM »
Yes, another voice against installing anything even remotely fragile over the track on NTRAK modules used during public shows.  It just won't survive for long.  The operations during such shows are just too hectic for club members to be careful, and accidents will happen.  Plus, every NTRAK club has at least one ham-fisted member.  They mean no harm, but can't help themselves . . .

« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 06:51:15 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 05:56:38 PM »
I'll add my voice to the chorus warning against anything over (or even near) the track, regardless of how robust it is. As Pete says, there's always some perhaps well-intentioned but nevertheless ham-fisted fellow who's going to do it in.

bman

• Crew
  • I gotta have more Conrail!
  • Respect: +160
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 09:58:47 AM »
Good luck with that. Our consistent experience is that teardown is a frantic exercise in "let's get outta here". Granted, there is some respect for personal modules - owner sets up and tears down his/her own stuff - but once something makes the eventual jump to "club module", Katy bar the door. We spend a lot of time at the subsequent show hunting for lost pieces and making repairs. :(

I've had no luck at all. Our tear downs are pretty much a free for all much to my dismay. I've taken to guarding my module at the end of train shows.

rhwood

• Respect: +2
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2019, 08:59:08 PM »
Thank you all for the advice.

I had been planning on eventually installing working signals that show aspects based on the switches they protect (but no real train detection). I had been thinking that make them removable, they would be on tubing that went between the holes in DIP socket adapters similar to https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O9YQKQQ/ref=psdc_172544_t2_B00X740QB4 (perhaps hidden under a "concrete pad").

Back to the drawing boards!

We've had very good luck with our club during teardown; it was during setup that I was more worried about things getting knocked about.

Randall

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2019, 09:40:09 PM »
Thank you all for the advice.

We've had very good luck with our club during teardown; it was during setup that I was more worried about things getting knocked about.

Randall

While setup/tear-down are often times when mishaps occur, the carnage can occurring during the show too.  A train can derail right under the signal bridge and the individual re-railing the train can snag the signal bridge.  I've seen it happen more than once.
. . . 42 . . .

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2019, 04:52:17 AM »
+1
Best to set up a holographic 3D projection of the bridge -- then no damage can occur.  :trollface: