Author Topic: Industrial Challenge: The Rico-Argentine Mining Co. Pro Patria Mill in HO  (Read 6198 times)

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8552
+10
Almost done...  I scratchbuilt an ore bunker for the ore house, added another lean-to and added timber cribbing along with a proper roof and dormer for the loading shed.  Still need a balcony and staircase along with more timber cribbing, but I think I can get 'er essentially done enough for voting on Monday.

Santa Fe Guy

• Crew
  • Respect: +359
Great job.
Rod.
Santafesd40.blogspot.com

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
Really nice. I like it a lot.

Dave V

• Crew
Calling it done: The Rico-Argentine Mining Co. Pro Patria Mill in HO
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2018, 04:41:36 PM »
+4
This is about as far as it's practical to go before I need a hillside on which to plant it.  So I'm calling it so I can drive on to the next project.

Parts of two Grandt Line East Terrible Mills and one AHM freight depot plus a bunch of styrene parts.  The tarpaper is painter's tape and the cribbing is from Chooch.

This is the prototype after abandonment and after both the covered ore loading shed had been "unsheathed (probably as part of a wartime scrap metal drive)" and the ore house (the separate structure in my photos) had been dismantled.

https://ngtrainpics.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/RD139-RGS-Burns-Canyon-to-Rico-1/G0000O9ghGdmGF1U/I0000TRLBCoPPH50/C0000Vd2qoA2MbNU

« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 04:45:11 PM by Dave V »

Dave V

• Crew
+8
I'm resurrecting this ancient thread...

This was some of my earliest work on the RGS and I grew to dislike it immensely.  It never really captured the shapes, textures, or size of the prototype. Hell, I didn't even like the color.  So over the last two weeks, I built a replacement. The core is still a Grandt Line East Terrible Mill kit but I’d say a good 75% of the final product is scratchbuilt. There’s still more work to do, but I’m at a point where I can take a break. The entire surrounding scene was also revised.

So this is the new version.

Comparison:

I also uncluttered the surroundings by removing a house and the Rico ore sampling works. I extended the hill to the right of the mill all the way to meet up with the hill behind the Rico depot and used real Colorado mill tailings to match.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 12:09:08 AM by Dave V »

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
The color shift makes a huge difference.  Nicely done.
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net