Author Topic: Lighting with a Digitrax 163 series decoder  (Read 385 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1615
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Lighting with a Digitrax 163 series decoder
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2019, 06:28:40 PM »
I've seen ditchlights that alternate between bright and dim only. I believe some/many/most or all Amtrak P42's do or at least did at one time.

Fine, but with Digitrax and LEDs, that dimming is almost imperceivable to me.  It is more like a barely visible twitch.   :|
--- Peteski de Snarkski
--- Honorary Resident Curmudgeon

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +290
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2019, 06:33:40 PM »
While I've never seen their ditchlight effects in person, their gyralight seems about the same as Zimo's as far as dimming between flashes goes. Is this just an issue with the ditchlight effects?
Russ

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2019, 06:50:12 PM »
While I've never seen their ditchlight effects in person, their gyralight seems about the same as Zimo's as far as dimming between flashes goes. Is this just an issue with the ditchlight effects?

I find all Digitrax lighting effect using white LEDs lacking fidelity.  We went as far as replacing the LED rotary beacon on friend's loco with a 1.5V incandescent micro bulb.  That makes the lighting effect much more realistic.  The thermal lag of the glowing wire filament, and its inefficiency in producing light, makes it more suited to be compatible with the light effects algorithms Digitrax uses.
--- Peteski de Snarkski

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +290
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2019, 07:00:10 PM »
Right, which I believe is also the case with many/most/all(?) decoders. I believe even ESU states somewhere that incandescent bulbs produce better effects. The trade-off, of course, is the possibility of shorter bulb life. Still, I don't have any reservations about the gyralight realism I'm getting with LED's using Digitrax, ESU and Zimo decoders. The amount of dimming between flashes seems just right to me and I'm pretty darn particular about this stuff. Still curious if this is an issue with the ditchlight effects specifcally, or if there's something you may be doing differently in your installs somehow.

Russ

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2019, 12:39:14 AM »
Still curious if this is an issue with the ditchlight effects specifcally, or if there's something you may be doing differently in your installs somehow.

There is nothing different with either mine or woodone's LED install. Function output - LED - resistor - common positive blue.  It is just that the decoder is not really designed to handle LEDs. No ifs or buts about it.

And yes, it is possible that the ditch light flashing pattern might be the worst example from all the other available effects.  Also, just like sound effects in models, this might be somewhat subjective and dependent on the person.
--- Peteski de Snarkski