Author Topic: Superior Panel Doors  (Read 2187 times)

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +256
Re: Superior Panel Doors
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2019, 01:41:38 AM »
"I believe that ATL-50 001 314 is what I need?"

Correct.  That's what I ordered to get 8ft Youngstown doors for a kitbash.  The undecorated version actually comes with four doors:  Youngstown, 6-panel Superior, 7-panel Superior, and Pullman-Standard.
N Kalanaga
Be well

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +750
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2019, 10:07:41 AM »
Thank you - Atlas is showing the 8' door version undercoated in stock so will try ordering today.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
  • Respect: +61
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2019, 11:32:16 AM »
+1
Thank you - Atlas is showing the 8' door version undercoated in stock so will try ordering today.

Tim

I didn't know those cars came with undercoat.  At least they won't rust :)

Doug

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +1054
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2019, 12:59:31 PM »

Tim

All of the door and brake wheel variants come with the undec cars. The tack boards also are separate parts. The B end has high brake gear hardware molded in, but all the ladders are add-on parts as are the roofwalk and roofwalk grabs. Not to mention the dimensions are more faithful to the prototype. The Atlas car is a much better starting point for kitbashes.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

BCR 570

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2019, 01:09:12 PM »
All of the door and brake wheel variants come with the undec cars. The tack boards also are separate parts. The B end has high brake gear hardware molded in, but all the ladders are add-on parts as are the roofwalk and roofwalk grabs. Not to mention the dimensions are more faithful to the prototype. The Atlas car is a much better starting point for kitbashes.

Perfect  -exactly what I need.  I was wondering if the running board was an add-on part.

Thank you,

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +14
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2019, 01:10:56 PM »
Love some of these USRE-leased cars British Columbia Railway had.

BCR 570

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2019, 08:52:30 PM »
Yes, they were quite interesting.  The Railway faced an acute shortage of cars in 1973 upon cancellation of the car fowarding agreement with CN and the housing boom.  USRM supplied 500 cars in very short order comprising 400 of the RBLs, 80 of the A&W leased cars, and 20 all-door boxcars.  I am hoping to model some of these cars as it really reinforces the 1970s look.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +14
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2019, 04:29:30 PM »
And some 40' boxes acquired from CNJ, although it's hard to find photos of many of these.

BCR 570

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2019, 08:42:55 PM »
+1
Yes I will likely try and do a couple of the ex-CNJ cars, and the ex-BAR cars if someone makes a 40' AC&F car.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Respect: +350
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2019, 11:15:04 PM »
Yes I will likely try and do a couple of the ex-CNJ cars, and the ex-BAR cars if someone makes a 40' AC&F car.

Tim

Deluxe and Intermountain both make postwar AAR boxcars, should be able to find all the parts you need for the ex CNJ and BAR cars.
Ryan in Alberta

BCR 570

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2019, 01:40:02 AM »
Are the Deluxe boxcars still available?  I need to sit down and compare the Deluxe and Intermountain cars to photos of the CNJ and BAR cars, but I dont have a Deluxe car on hand.

The CNJ cars were welded construction, diagonal panel roof, improved Dreadnought ends, YSD corrugated or Superior 7' sliding door.  Inside height was 10'-0".

The BAR cars were riveted construction, 4/3/1 improved Dreadnought ends, rectangular panel roof, 8' sliding door.  Inside height was 10'-5".

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +1054
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2019, 06:55:57 AM »
Other than the 7’ doors, you should be able to construct the CNJ car from available IM parts.  Contact them directly with the shopping list. You will need to kitbash in Atlas PS-1 7’ Youngstown or Superior doors and adjust the door tracks accordingly.

The BAR car I suspect would require scratchbuilt sides. The other components are available from IM and Atlas.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Missaberoad

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2019, 11:16:29 AM »
The CNJ car is going to be difficult. Not aware of a 12 panel welded 10'ih body in N scale. Could use Intermountains 1937 10' car but it is rivited and 10 panel. Perhaps a good project for a 3d printer...

The BAR car should be easier. Intermountain makes 10'6'' rivited boxcars in both 10 panel and 12 panel versions. I imagine the extra inch should fall under close enough for N scale...

As for ends Intermountain sold 4/3/1 ends with their 12 panel boxcar and improved dreadnought ends with their modified 1937 boxcar... Kits of both were avaliable but are hard to find... Both roofs are also avaliable...

It's interesting that the CNJ cars were 10'ih with improved ends and a stanray roof... That seems like pretty modern features for such a small car...

The Deluxe car is a 1944 aar varient with 10'6'' stanray roof and 4/3/1 ends. There was an ebay seller selling undecorated "kits" but I'm not sure if that's still a thing...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 11:19:56 AM by Missaberoad »
Ryan in Alberta

BCR 570

• Crew
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2019, 12:35:20 PM »
Thank you both for your input.  I spent some time last night comparing models and photographs, as I found that I had both an undecorated Intermountain and Deluxe kit on hand.

The Deluxe car is a very good match for the BAR cars except for the diagonal panel roof.  After thinking of how to cut it out and replace it with an Intermountain rectangular panel roof, I realized that the Intermountain AAR modified body would also work, and it would be easier to remove and substitute the Deluxe 4/3/1 ends.  (I don't think that Intermountain makes those in 10-6 height?)  Then it is just a matter of replacing the door and adjusting the door tracks as suggested above.  And yes I can live with the one inch discrepancy in inside height  :D.  I would like to do two so I need to order another Intermountain kit and locate a second Deluxe shell.

I goofed on the CNJ cars - they are indeed 10-6 high inside, but the problem remains that a 12 panel welded car is not available in N Scale.  I remember that now because when I built my cat tool car which had been converted from one of these, I had to scracthbuild the sides from styrene for the retained portion of the body.  Not sure I want to do that for a whole body.  So I will leave these for now.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

Missaberoad

• Crew
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2019, 01:02:20 PM »
Intermountain made 4/3/1 ends with their 12 panel boxcars. Finding them may be tough, they did make undec kits but they are hard to find.
I don't have any in my collection that aren't assembled.
Ryan in Alberta