Author Topic: Bachmann RS3 will not use speed table reverts to basic motor control  (Read 1217 times)

Specter3

• Crew
  • Respect: +149
Started to exercise the fleet on my daughters Kato layout. Was doing some speed matching as well. Pulled out the new Bachmann RS3 and let it sprint for a while for some break in. Then I tried to soow it down. JMRI on laptop connected to Digitrax system. Have successfully matched Atlas, Kato, Intermountain locos. When I click the button in the speed table screen to use the speed table it lights up. I write changes. When I read the sheet the button turns off and it is back to motor control on the previous pane. This thing is way too fast. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Ryan

conrad

• Crew
  • Respect: +46
Re: Bachmann RS3 will not use speed table reverts to basic motor control
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 08:56:03 AM »
Ryan

I would check CV29 to make sure it has changed to the speed table setting.  It's the "master" CV that determines 2 or 4 bit address, forward/reverse, speed table/or not, etc.   See if it is really being reset when you select speed table.

Conrad

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 09:02:43 AM »
I thought the factory Bachmann decoders don't do speed tables.  I could be totally wrong as I don't have any of these but read it many times on the forums.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 09:06:30 AM »
Started to exercise the fleet on my daughters Kato layout. Was doing some speed matching as well. Pulled out the new Bachmann RS3 and let it sprint for a while for some break in. Then I tried to soow it down. JMRI on laptop connected to Digitrax system. Have successfully matched Atlas, Kato, Intermountain locos. When I click the button in the speed table screen to use the speed table it lights up. I write changes. When I read the sheet the button turns off and it is back to motor control on the previous pane. This thing is way too fast. Any ideas?

I thought the factory Bachmann decoders don't do speed tables.  I could be totally wrong as I don't have any of these but read it many times on the forums.

@MK is right. Bachmann's basic DCC decoder does not have working speed tables. IOW, that the JMRI speed table panel is clickable is "a lie", it does nothing. I found this out the hard way, and am in the process of replacing decoders in about 15 B'mann locos. :x

conrad

• Crew
  • Respect: +46
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 09:09:58 AM »
true, no speed table   my 44 ton switcher is a 2 function decoder and JMRI does not show a speed  table.  the 4 function one does though and i guess it does not really exist.

Specter3

• Crew
  • Respect: +149
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 12:01:36 PM »
Ok that makes some sense. I also have a Bmann F7 and an F7B. The B has no table and the A does. Well, I guess that means I have 4 more units to convert to better DCC.

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 01:17:23 PM »
Anyone make a replacement board for the Bachmann RS-3?

Jon

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 12:55:42 AM »
Anyone make a replacement board for the Bachmann RS-3?

Not that I know of. And doubtful. All the non-sound B'mann power I've messed with has wired-in decoders. You basically replace theirs with another wired-in decoder like a TCS M1 or a Digitrax DZ123. Wire colors are the same.