Author Topic: Black River & Western  (Read 22345 times)

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
Black River & Western
« on: February 27, 2019, 03:33:09 PM »
+6
NOTE: This was formerly a thread about a "micro-diorama," but it has mutated into one about a planned room-size, around-the-walls rendition of the Black River and Western Railroad in Ringoes, New Jersey. Skip to Page 3 to pick up the beginning of the story. (The micro-diorama isn't all that interesting, trust me...)

It all started with some Zn3 track and an old photo. The track I'd laid back in 2010; the two bits of it were sitting in a drawer, neglected.

After facing all manner of difficulties building my home, I'd become acutely depressed. And I was actively ignoring an effective treatment: modeling. So, when I came across the Zn3 track, this image flashed in my mind:

The photo I'd found online shortly after I'd bought my property and was contemplating the possibility of building a 1:1 15-inch gauge railroad (which I've long since abandoned). I've no idea where or when the image was taken, but it captivated me, and together with the handlaid track it became the driving force behind the the diorama. The narrow-gauge rolling stock was equally captivating, and while I rather doubt I'll be able to do it justice in N Scale, I saw no reason not to build the diorama.

The real railroad heads off I know not where; my imagination allows me to envision anything I like.

I almost had to force myself to start modeling again. Depression, physical issues and a host of other (mostly contrived) reasons held me back. It was the editorial by Dave Vollmer about the health benefits of modeling that got me off my fat arse.

I call this a "micro-diorama" for what should be an obvious reason: it's tiny, 4 by 10.5 inches. The length was fixed by the combined pieces of Zn3 track, and the width was arbitrary. And I just so happened to have a scrap of foam insulation that was the perfect starting point. Here are the main ingredients posed on the foam:

Laying the track involved nothing more than some double-sided foam tape.

By sheer luck, I happened to have freight cars quite close to those in the photo, and by even bigger luck, they fit perfectly on the piece of Railcraft Code 40 flex cut to fit the base.

The next step is to fill in the terrain with ballast and Sculptamold. This is where things stand right now; stop back again to see the progress.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 04:31:33 PM by David K. Smith »

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
Re: Micro-Diorama
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 03:58:46 PM »
This reminds me. When did Google reverse image search stop being worth a crap?

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 04:06:47 PM »
This reminds me. When did Google reverse image search stop being worth a crap?

Got me, boss, but it sure failed big time with this one.

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +743
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 02:53:14 PM »
+1
I'll watch this with interest as it had crossed my mind to scenic my small test track.  Its purpose is to just run locos and rolling stock, three loops with code 40 switches between them also made from my code 40 track bed, testing and/ or demonstrating the performance of that stuff as well.  It's really a functional test bed and boring spaghetti bowl platter.  What entered my mind to make it a little less boring is to put at least some scenery materials down.  This may offer some ideas/ inspiration. 8)

The o'all dimensions are about 9" x 24" and has turn radii of 3 3/4", 2 3/4", and 1 3/4", the idea being if it will make those it will make the broader ones. ;)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 03:56:46 PM by narrowminded »
Mark G.

nuno81291

• Crew
  • Respect: +311
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 05:57:41 PM »
What a cool proto photo! Hard to fathom this trackage next to the N. Like the MEC cars you put up. Is the plan just a similar sort of overgrown look? Doesn’t take a big area to make something unique and interesting..
Guilford Rail System in the 80s/90s

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 06:15:36 PM »
Is the plan just a similar sort of overgrown look?

Exactly.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 06:20:47 PM »
I'm still POed that I can't find these photos  :| Searched for over an hour. I figure it is a lumber mill in the New England area. I know the critter is a Plymouth. And I've seen the photo with the loco before a few times. Now I can't find it at all.

Oh well found a whole bunch of cool stuff while trying.

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +639
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 06:25:51 PM »
+4
This is in Maine. The factory is American Thread. Here are some more photos.

coosvalley

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 06:29:53 PM »
One more:

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 06:31:21 PM »
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8552
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2019, 06:49:00 PM »
Aw yeah!  A DKS micro-layout with narrow gauge!  This goin' be good, y'all!

coosvalley

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2019, 07:07:46 PM »
+2
The company became Three Rivers Hardware.The cars were used to ferry wodden birch spools to a siding on the BAR, to be loaded into standard gauge cars. A few more , I believe they are Goerge Melvin photos.

Brian M

• Crew
  • Respect: +258
    • Hudson Valley Lines
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2019, 10:46:43 PM »
+1
Just what @Chris333 needs...another type of narrow gauge to model.   ;)

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2429
Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com