Author Topic: Best resin for detail  (Read 2791 times)

Thunderhawk

• Respect: +3
Re: Best resin for detail
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2019, 01:23:17 PM »
Thanks for the answer.  It's interesting to see that you now use a lot more gray over the transparent green despite the increase in time per layer.

My latest two prints were the same base photon file, just at different layer thickness (20 microns @ 7.5 secs and 50 microns @ 10 secs).  I was trying to see which one gave me the best details for time.  Honestly, I think the 20 microns layers gave better details, but then again, I can't be sure it wasn't just the difference in time (maybe one was under or over-cured compared to the other!).  In the 50 micron print, the smallest details were still visible, but maybe a tiny bit less defined, and the layer "bands" were of course more noticeable - with a magnifying glass!  After I paint the models, I'm not sure whether I'll be able to tell the difference anymore.

The only place I can tell a difference between .02 and .05 on my cab kits is the curved roof. And even then it is minimal. Just not worth the time investment for the higher res. If one could vary the layer thickness in the slicer it would be great but I'm not seeing a way to do that even though it shouldn't be all that difficult to program in.

timwatson

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • N Scale Rail
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2019, 10:23:27 PM »
I ordered some AmeraLabs black I will try soon. I’ve heard it’s got good detail. Took forever to get to me. Over 2 weeks ship time.
Tim Watson
My pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nscalerail/sets/

Technology, new ideas and model railroading.

Thunderhawk

• Respect: +3
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2019, 11:24:59 PM »
I ordered some AmeraLabs black I will try soon. I’ve heard it’s got good detail. Took forever to get to me. Over 2 weeks ship time.

Looks interesting. I like the 4 sec time on .02 layers both for speed and theoretically less bleed leading to even sharper detail.

IronPenguin

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2019, 10:10:21 AM »
+5
A couple of photos comparing AnyCubic Gray vs Phrozen ABS-Like Gray. These are N scale pieces for a gas station work bench and tire rack.

First image is unprimed, fresh off printer.  Second image is after prime coat of Krylon primer whch helps bring out sharpness for photos.

AC Gray on left, Phrozen on right

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

To my old eyes, there isn't much difference in appearance. Phrozen seems a littlle less brittle to work with. Phrozen is quite runny compared to "melted ice cream" of AnyCubic.

I'm happy with either one, so it may come down to WOS. (Whatever's On Sale, like when I buy beer.) ;)

Mike Tennent
IronPenguin Electronics
https://tennentm.wixsite.com/ironpenguin