Author Topic: Sound in an Atlas MP15DC?  (Read 1667 times)

cbroughton67

• Crew
  • Respect: +1699
Sound in an Atlas MP15DC?
« on: February 24, 2019, 12:21:27 AM »
Has anyone attempted a sound install in an Atlas N-scale MP15DC? "Top Hobby Trains" is advertising such an install, and by the price, they're quite proud of it.

http://www.tophobbytrains.com/thtatlasmp15soundpackagenscale-purchaselocoseparately.aspx

The ESU Loksound Select Micro is too wide to fit the hood of the MP15. Can it be made to fit? I've heard of a sound decoder made by Piko - is this a viable option? How are sound files loaded into a Piko decoder?

Chris

Chris Broughton
MMR #650

Darwin was an optimist.

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
Re: Sound in an Atlas MP15DC?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 12:38:56 AM »
Based on this part of their ad:

Mill and modify the frame to accept a LokSound cube speaker and LokSound Micro ver 4 decoder
Modify the shell to accept the decoder

I would bet that they do some thinning of the shell walls to make the V4 fit.  I haven't pulled one of my MP15's or V4's to check though.
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +926
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 10:36:38 AM »
Chris, if you want sound, you might want to investigate the Zimo MX660 decoder, which I put in a Kato NW as a test project:

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=45292.0

Unfortunately, Zimo doesn't have a sound file for a 12-cyl 645E, but they do have one for a 16-cyl 645E.  And as my link will reveal, there are a couple of other nagging issues with Zimo's sound files that you'd have to live with.

I suspect, though, that John R. is correct: they almost certainly thinned the shell.  I've done this using a Dremel with a 1/4" sanding drum, but it is nerve-wracking.  The last one I did I used the Dremel drum in my Proxxon milling machine, which gives me much better control over what I'm sanding.

Actually, the $225 install cost is what I would expect for something like this.  The parts alone would cost at least $80 even at dealer wholesale, which means they are charging $145 for labor.  An install like this probably would take around 3 hours, so that's roughly $50/hr.  $50/hr for skilled labor isn't crazy, as anyone who has hired a plumber can attest!

John C.

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1250
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 01:49:22 PM »
Can the sides of the wired Loksound select be filed down at all? I have done this with a few tight installs of standard DCC decoders.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

Steveruger45

• Crew
  • Respect: +524
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 03:08:50 PM »
I’ve done it once on a 73800 loksound select micro but be very careful.  It is not a laminated board like the 73100/73199.  Don’t do it on those.
After removing the plastic wrap I took off approx 0.05mm (0.002”) off each side by very gently rubbing the edges on a fine nail file board until I ran out of courage.  You have to remove the purple wire.   Re-wrap with kapton tape. It’s not for the faint hearted and best avoided if at all possible. You will ruin the warranty.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 03:56:22 PM by Steveruger45 »
Steve

Steveruger45

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 03:21:26 PM »
Has anyone attempted a sound install in an Atlas N-scale MP15DC? "Top Hobby Trains" is advertising such an install, and by the price, they're quite proud of it.

http://www.tophobbytrains.com/thtatlasmp15soundpackagenscale-purchaselocoseparately.aspx

The ESU Loksound Select Micro is too wide to fit the hood of the MP15. Can it be made to fit? I've heard of a sound decoder made by Piko - is this a viable option? How are sound files loaded into a Piko decoder?

Chris

Chris, I was wondering if this would be doable for a while.  I don’t have one of these locos but have studied spookshows pictures but I dont know the critical dimensions. If you have one maybe post a picture with the dimensions.
I’m thinking the cab would be the only place to put a speaker and probably be a sideways mounted 8x12 assuming enough space, so I would measure there first.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 03:24:23 PM by Steveruger45 »
Steve

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 03:22:32 PM »
I’ve done it once on a 73800 loksound select micro but be very careful.  It is not a laminated board like the 73100/73199.  Don’t do it on those.

All ESU decoders use multi-layer (laminated) PC boards. It is just some have internal traces closer to the edges than others.   In some decoders you can get away with filing the edges a bit, while in others you will mess up the decoder.  You can sometimes tell where the internal traces are by shining a bright light throught the board..
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 03:32:53 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

Steveruger45

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2019, 03:31:36 PM »
All ESU decoders use multi-layer (laminated) PC boards. It is just some have internal traces closer to the edges than others.   In some decoders you can get away with filing the edges a bit, while in others you will mess up the decoder.  You can sometimes tell where the internal traces are by shining a bright light throught th board..
Yes, I see how my words could be interpreted in a way I didn’t mean.  Yes, all are laminated but you have some wiggle room on the 73800 select micro that you don’t on the others I mentioned.
Thanks for the clarification Pete. 
Steve

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2019, 03:33:33 PM »
. . . 42 . . .

cbroughton67

• Crew
  • Respect: +1699
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 11:40:55 AM »
Chris, if you want sound, you might want to investigate the Zimo MX660 decoder, which I put in a Kato NW as a test project:

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=45292.0

Unfortunately, Zimo doesn't have a sound file for a 12-cyl 645E, but they do have one for a 16-cyl 645E.  And as my link will reveal, there are a couple of other nagging issues with Zimo's sound files that you'd have to live with.

John C.
That NW2 is a great build, John! I'll have to make some measurements and see if it would work in the MP15.

I've heard of a Piko sound decoder mentioned (46193 I think?), but all the information I've found is in German - more than my two years of high school German forever ago can interpret. Looks pretty small, but that's all I know about it.

Chris Broughton
MMR #650

Darwin was an optimist.