Author Topic: Sound in an Atlas MP15DC?  (Read 271 times)

cbroughton67

• Crew
  • Respect: +1016
Sound in an Atlas MP15DC?
« on: February 24, 2019, 12:21:27 AM »
Has anyone attempted a sound install in an Atlas N-scale MP15DC? "Top Hobby Trains" is advertising such an install, and by the price, they're quite proud of it.

http://www.tophobbytrains.com/thtatlasmp15soundpackagenscale-purchaselocoseparately.aspx

The ESU Loksound Select Micro is too wide to fit the hood of the MP15. Can it be made to fit? I've heard of a sound decoder made by Piko - is this a viable option? How are sound files loaded into a Piko decoder?

Chris

Chris Broughton

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." - Mark Twain

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +108
Re: Sound in an Atlas MP15DC?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 12:38:56 AM »
Based on this part of their ad:

Mill and modify the frame to accept a LokSound cube speaker and LokSound Micro ver 4 decoder
Modify the shell to accept the decoder

I would bet that they do some thinning of the shell walls to make the V4 fit.  I haven't pulled one of my MP15's or V4's to check though.
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +516
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 10:36:38 AM »
Chris, if you want sound, you might want to investigate the Zimo MX660 decoder, which I put in a Kato NW as a test project:

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=45292.0

Unfortunately, Zimo doesn't have a sound file for a 12-cyl 645E, but they do have one for a 16-cyl 645E.  And as my link will reveal, there are a couple of other nagging issues with Zimo's sound files that you'd have to live with.

I suspect, though, that John R. is correct: they almost certainly thinned the shell.  I've done this using a Dremel with a 1/4" sanding drum, but it is nerve-wracking.  The last one I did I used the Dremel drum in my Proxxon milling machine, which gives me much better control over what I'm sanding.

Actually, the $225 install cost is what I would expect for something like this.  The parts alone would cost at least $80 even at dealer wholesale, which means they are charging $145 for labor.  An install like this probably would take around 3 hours, so that's roughly $50/hr.  $50/hr for skilled labor isn't crazy, as anyone who has hired a plumber can attest!

John C.

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +388
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 01:49:22 PM »
Can the sides of the wired Loksound select be filed down at all? I have done this with a few tight installs of standard DCC decoders.
You've crossed the walls, excelled
Further along through their hell
All for my heart, I watch you kill
You always have, you always will
Now spread your wings and sail out to me

Steveruger45

• Crew
  • Respect: +78
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 03:08:50 PM »
I’ve done it once on a 73800 loksound select micro but be very careful.  It is not a laminated board like the 73100/73199.  Don’t do it on those.
After removing the plastic wrap I took off approx 0.05mm (0.002”) off each side by very gently rubbing the edges on a fine nail file board until I ran out of courage.  You have to remove the purple wire.   Re-wrap with kapton tape. It’s not for the faint hearted and best avoided if at all possible. You will ruin the warranty.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 03:56:22 PM by Steveruger45 »
Steve
Atascocita, Texas

Steveruger45

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 03:21:26 PM »
Has anyone attempted a sound install in an Atlas N-scale MP15DC? "Top Hobby Trains" is advertising such an install, and by the price, they're quite proud of it.

http://www.tophobbytrains.com/thtatlasmp15soundpackagenscale-purchaselocoseparately.aspx

The ESU Loksound Select Micro is too wide to fit the hood of the MP15. Can it be made to fit? I've heard of a sound decoder made by Piko - is this a viable option? How are sound files loaded into a Piko decoder?

Chris

Chris, I was wondering if this would be doable for a while.  I don’t have one of these locos but have studied spookshows pictures but I dont know the critical dimensions. If you have one maybe post a picture with the dimensions.
I’m thinking the cab would be the only place to put a speaker and probably be a sideways mounted 8x12 assuming enough space, so I would measure there first.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 03:24:23 PM by Steveruger45 »
Steve
Atascocita, Texas

peteski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1616
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 03:22:32 PM »
I’ve done it once on a 73800 loksound select micro but be very careful.  It is not a laminated board like the 73100/73199.  Don’t do it on those.

All ESU decoders use multi-layer (laminated) PC boards. It is just some have internal traces closer to the edges than others.   In some decoders you can get away with filing the edges a bit, while in others you will mess up the decoder.  You can sometimes tell where the internal traces are by shining a bright light throught the board..
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 03:32:53 PM by peteski »
--- Peteski de Snarkski
--- Honorary Resident Curmudgeon

Steveruger45

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2019, 03:31:36 PM »
All ESU decoders use multi-layer (laminated) PC boards. It is just some have internal traces closer to the edges than others.   In some decoders you can get away with filing the edges a bit, while in others you will mess up the decoder.  You can sometimes tell where the internal traces are by shining a bright light throught th board..
Yes, I see how my words could be interpreted in a way I didn’t mean.  Yes, all are laminated but you have some wiggle room on the 73800 select micro that you don’t on the others I mentioned.
Thanks for the clarification Pete. 
Steve
Atascocita, Texas

peteski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1616
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2019, 03:33:33 PM »
--- Peteski de Snarkski
--- Honorary Resident Curmudgeon

cbroughton67

• Crew
  • Respect: +1016
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 11:40:55 AM »
Chris, if you want sound, you might want to investigate the Zimo MX660 decoder, which I put in a Kato NW as a test project:

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=45292.0

Unfortunately, Zimo doesn't have a sound file for a 12-cyl 645E, but they do have one for a 16-cyl 645E.  And as my link will reveal, there are a couple of other nagging issues with Zimo's sound files that you'd have to live with.

John C.
That NW2 is a great build, John! I'll have to make some measurements and see if it would work in the MP15.

I've heard of a Piko sound decoder mentioned (46193 I think?), but all the information I've found is in German - more than my two years of high school German forever ago can interpret. Looks pretty small, but that's all I know about it.

Chris Broughton

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." - Mark Twain