Author Topic: 3D Printed Vehicles  (Read 11203 times)

Mark W

• Crew
  • Respect: +2125
    • Free-moNebraska
3D Printed Vehicles
« on: February 23, 2019, 01:25:15 PM »
+3
I've been working on this one for a while now, even before I got my first Photon.  I knew there would be multiple prints required, taking months, before finalizing something through Shapeways.

Well, Thursday night I decided to open up the file and make it happen!

https://i.imgur.com/y6JB0mG.jpg
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 08:50:03 PM by Mark W »
Contact me about custom model building.
Learn more about Free-moNebraska.
Learn more about HOn3-mo.

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +743
Re: Jeep Wrangler!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 03:05:51 PM »
+1
Nice, Mark. 8)
Mark G.

Bryn

• Crew
  • Respect: +459
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 03:46:06 AM »
+1
Impressive finish, nice work.

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 09:09:41 AM »
+1
And you will take orders when?
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 09:17:53 AM »
Looks really good, Mark, except... the wheels. Is there no way to work in at least a little surface detail where it's flat silver right now?

You can tell me where to stick this suggestion if it's just not practical. It's all good.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 09:33:35 AM by David K. Smith »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4612
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 02:14:36 PM »
Looks really good, Mark, except... the wheels. Is there no way to work in at least a little surface detail where it's flat silver right now?

That was my thought also.  Those "wheel covers" look like something you would see on a salt-flats world-speed record vehicles. Even if the wheels had to be printed as separate parts, it would be worth it to gain some details.

Speaking of that, many Photon-printed items could benefit from being printed in multiple pieces (for ease in painting)>  I see this issue in many Shapeways items too. The designers are so excited that they can print the entire vehicle as a single item (wheels, body, interior, bumpers, etc.) that they seem to ignore the fact that painting one of those (and installing "glass") will be virtually impossible.
. . . 42 . . .

Mark W

• Crew
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 02:56:43 PM »
+2
This was just my first test print, which I was worried more about the overall success.  I got the file from a VFX source long ago, and as such, not a single part in the model (except for the wheels, amooseingy) were a 'closed' 3d print ready object.  So to get going, I left the wheels alone and spent several hours repairing the rest and ran a print test as soon as I thought I was done.  With that first one printing perfectly, I just had to paint it up and show it off.  8)

So yes, now it's time to go back and add rim and tread detail, and improve a few other things.  But I had a more pressing situation to deal with first....  :D

https://i.imgur.com/J1NhSfb.jpg

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2019, 03:45:06 PM »
+1
Yes, that is an amoosing situation.  :)
. . . 42 . . .

timwatson

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • N Scale Rail
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 08:30:13 AM »
Getting wheels to print is kind of hard. 356 Porsche wheel on one side glob on the other. [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Tim Watson
My pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nscalerail/sets/

Technology, new ideas and model railroading.

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3158
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2019, 08:44:50 AM »
+2
Separate the wheels from the car and print the faces on top away from the build plate.  Just add a pocket to the body for the user to glue the wheels into (in this case) or a pin to mount the wheel.

narrowminded

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2019, 12:34:06 PM »
Getting wheels to print is kind of hard. 356 Porsche wheel on one side glob on the other. (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

Take a good look at the progression of the print and the support afforded as the part progresses.  8)

On that wheel, an initial support or two at the tire face can be pretty robust and will work for just the tire but THEN, as it progresses, the wheel has very narrow spokes initially that then get wider until it's a pretty substantial cross section BUT, before it has had a chance to reach/ attach at the body.  That means the spindly little spokes are asked to support the much bigger cross section of the wheel center as it develops until it finally reaches the main body.  That's where the failure occurred.  And once it separates nothing more happens beyond the glob.  The light continues to light and develops whatever resin is in the light's path but in the between cycle, nothing is attached. 

Additional support for the wheel center would be required that builds right along with the wheel, supporting it until it finally reaches the main body.  That also might look pretty bad as I don't think in this case that you can easily get in behind the wheel to hide the attachment point BUT... as John said, maybe print the wheels separately and laying flat, all supported from the back.  That would assure a very nice looking wheel and make painting in detail MUCH easier.  A win all of the way around. 8)

I had a few of these issues early on but after studying the failure quickly came to the realization just described.  It was a big "duh" moment. ;)  Add some strategically placed supports, print as a separate part, or.... whatever the specific situation logically presents. 8)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 12:57:02 PM by narrowminded »
Mark G.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2019, 04:39:49 PM »
+2
Printing the wheels separately would make the problems go away (and would make painting easier too). Win-Win situation.
. . . 42 . . .

Mark W

• Crew
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2019, 10:37:52 PM »
Preachin' to the choir. 

https://i.imgur.com/TbCri7D.jpg

narrowminded

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2019, 10:52:27 PM »
@Mark W is that how you ship your kits?  On the platform?  8)
Mark G.

Mark W

• Crew
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2019, 11:47:14 PM »
+3
Yep.  They help protect the parts during transit.  I also feel that letting the end user remove them, helps acclimate them to working with the material. 

Plus, less time I have to fiddle with each item, so less markup too!  8)