Author Topic: How about a Micro Layout challenge?  (Read 2768 times)

pdx1955

• Crew
  • Respect: +337
Re: How about a Micro Layout challenge?
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2019, 12:34:37 AM »
I think a T-Trak challenge  would  be great. I'd  just make  it that or any other basic sized module to keep things a bit more equivalent ,  so it's  understood that this fits into something  larger  rather than a standalone operation .  That way it would be workable across multiple  module standards and scales. Going across square feet is also difficult  as a 2x4  typical module is equal to 4 to 8 t-traks. It just has to be viewed in context to the space used.
Peter

"No one ever died because of a bad question, but bad assumptions can kill"

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2019, 08:40:08 AM »
Having put much though into this, I think it will be simplest to make our next challenge a Ttrak module.

Recognizing that not everyone will have an interest in this, let me parse through how I arrived at this.
1)  It's pretty straightforward.  The standards are out there, and as @davefoxx notes, there are several of us that have already started moving in that direction.
2)  For those of us that are stagnant in our modeling efforts, or looking for a jump start, Ttrak does seem to offer a "bite size" way to exercise all the muscles for trackwork, wiring, scenery, and a little carpentry, with rooms for whatever structures or other accessories that might appeal to you.
3)  While it is N scale specific, with a base module size of roughly 8x12", there's no reason modelers in other scales couldn't dabble with the end result being something that can be displayed on a shelf, or even sold.
4)  It does promote the social/community aspect of both the hobby and the Railwire.  Since we have pockets of members in various regions around the country (and world!) wouldn't it be kewl to have an event like "RailBQ" (hosted in this region by the Conrail Historical Society) where a bunch of us can get together and quickly whip up an operable layout on the picnic tables...  Note, I just looked up the Rail BQ, and the CRHS has made that a closed, members only event, with a work session planned on their caboose stored in Landisville, PA.  Sounds like there won't be time for a Ttrak set up or softball this year!  So maybe we focus on some other gathering, or do one of our own.

Given the simplicity of a Ttrak module, and relatively low cost (assuming you don't already have a box of stuff on hand you can use), I don't see this being more than a 90 day challenge.

So with those things in mind, I'll post the challenge guidelines under a separate thread.  I'm also still cultivating some ideas around a more specific "micro layout" challenge, because that's something I'd like to take on personally, and I love the creativity that comes from this group when there's a high, small diameter, and flaming hoop to jump through!  Stay tuned for that in the coming months, too.

As I've noted previously, if this challenge isn't your cup of tea, no sweat.  If there's something you'd like to see the members take on, big or small, standard or narrow, steam or diesel, what have you, sketch out your idea and let's run it up the flagpole.

Lee
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 08:53:22 AM by wm3798 »
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2019, 10:58:07 AM »
I like it, because, as you noted, a small TTRAK module can be very inexpensive and allows non-N-scale members to dabble in this challenge as well.  You don't even have to own any N scale rolling stock or locomotives to participate!  I look forward to the gathering, whether its Timonium or even just somebody's house.

@wm3798, do you want us to post our progress on your new thread or continue in separate build threads in the Layout Engineering Forum?

Thanks,
DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +717
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2019, 11:07:06 AM »
Having put much though into this, I think it will be simplest to make our next challenge a Ttrak module.

3)  While it is N scale specific, ...
Not necessarily: http://ttrak.wdfiles.com/local--files/t-trak-standards/T-TRAK%20Standards%20(wiki%20version).PNG

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2019, 11:33:18 AM »
+1
I like it, because, as you noted, a small TTRAK module can be very inexpensive and allows non-N-scale members to dabble in this challenge as well.  You don't even have to own any N scale rolling stock or locomotives to participate!  I look forward to the gathering, whether its Timonium or even just somebody's house.

@wm3798, do you want us to post our progress on your new thread or continue in separate build threads in the Layout Engineering Forum?

Thanks,
DFF

If you have an engineering thread that's probably the better place to put your detailed progress notes, but occasionally drop by here with an update summary...  How's that sound?  Maybe cross post a little bit about the challenge project in the engineering report and weekend update as a promotional tool for the challenge...
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2019, 11:35:36 AM »
Not necessarily: http://ttrak.wdfiles.com/local--files/t-trak-standards/T-TRAK%20Standards%20(wiki%20version).PNG

I hadn't seen that.  Thanks for sharing.
For the purpose of a potential meet and mingle outing, it would be helpful if we held to a particular scale for this one.  If there's enough interest in doing something otherwise, shoot for the moon...  Perhaps this will generate enough interest to do a separate challenge downstream.
Lee
Rockin' It Old School