Author Topic: Questions about Milw Rd FM Erie-builts  (Read 1211 times)

trainutz

• Respect: +5
Questions about Milw Rd FM Erie-builts
« on: February 12, 2019, 01:24:10 AM »
Hello All;
I have several questions about some external hardware details seen on the Milw FM Erie-builts. The first question is about the external piping and radiator on both A and B units: the piping originates just aft of the engineer -side cab position and runs the length of the roof to an externally mounted radiator on the rear bulkhead; through the radiator and beck into the rear bulkhead. What function does this hardware perform? I have seen photographs that indicate that the piping and radiator were not on the units as-delivered (Scribbins Hiawatha book).

The second question is: what is the name or style of baffled steam generator exhaust seen on most of the Milw FM units as well as most EMD E6 and E7 units?

My apology for not posting support pics; I haven't reached that level of sophistication...yet.

Any and all commentary is welcome.

brokemoto

• Crew
  • Respect: +182
Re: Questions about Milw Rd FM Erie-builts
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 09:15:59 AM »
I do not know the name or style, but, if you and I are thinking of the same type of "baffled" steam generator vent stack, Miniatures by Eric used to sell it.  I do not know if that firm is still in business or, if it is still in business, if it sells this one, still, but, you can find the products at shows.  Minatures by Eric labels it as a GP stack set.  The set has the escape stack as well as the vent stack.  Those are the only ones that I have seen with that level of detail in N scale.  There was another firm (J'n'J Trains?) that sold a set of steam generator stacks for EMDs, but it was not that detailed.  J'n'J Trains sold the ALCo angled escape stack/flat vent stack pair, as well.  I do not know of any firms that sold the ALCo "stovepipe" stack pairs, the pairs used on ALCo cab units, on Electro-Motive cab units or any of the FMs or Baldwins be they cab units or RS-configured units. 

Of course, no one sells an N scale Baldwin road switcher.  The Lima passenger road switchers had stovepipe escape stacks, but, if they ever appear in N scale, it would have to be in brass, as they were unique to the New York Central.

trainutz

• Respect: +5
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 01:31:30 PM »
I have the detail parts (exhaust and radiator - courtesy of Gregg Scott) and am casting polyurethane shells for the both the "beetle-brow" A unit and the later plain-nose A unit as well as the B unit, all with the referenced exhaust stack and radiator incorporated onto the shells. I wanted to know the proper names. When I learn how to post photos I will offer the shells under the proper category.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 04:04:29 PM »
I have the detail parts (exhaust and radiator - courtesy of Gregg Scott) and am casting polyurethane shells for the both the "beetle-brow" A unit and the later plain-nose A unit as well as the B unit, all with the referenced exhaust stack and radiator incorporated onto the shells. I wanted to know the proper names. When I learn how to post photos I will offer the shells under the proper category.

The illustrated instructions are in the forum's Admin section, under the FAQ subsection, paragraph 18a (just kidding on the last one).  :D  But you need 25 posts to access the gallery. So, keep posting messages - only few more to go.
. . . 42 . . .