Author Topic: Arnold Rapido S2 coupler conversion.  (Read 3464 times)

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +145
Arnold Rapido S2 coupler conversion.
« on: February 08, 2019, 07:07:43 PM »
I am looking for someone here that might be able to take on this little project. I have an untouched original Sunrise Enterprises N-211 Arnold S2 pilot conversion that I'm hoping can be 3D printed.
What I can do is supply the conversion as well as the walkway from an Arnold S2 to use to test fit. I need at least six sets for myself. This is something that may be needed by others but I realize it could only be a few now that the Arnold S2 has Atlas and Bachmann units that are better.

Just thought I would throw it out there before I use up the only one I have left that could be used as a model for a replacement.

Jon

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +743
Re: Arnold Rapido S2 coupler conversion.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 08:34:19 PM »
I take it you need sets of the white metal castings but resin printed, not the walkway/ frame.  PM if you're stuck. :)  Also, having no idea how to price this, think about what would be fair for you.  I could accept between zero and 1 m-i-l-l-i-o-n dollars. :scared:   Oh, and +shipping. 8)

Any of the rest of you with some experience could chime in on a cost that sounds fair, too.  Or better yet, just do it. :D
Mark G.

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 09:04:01 PM »
Thanks for the reply Mark. No I'm not stuck just do not posses the skills and equipment to do this. Yes I am thinking of having them done in resin printing. The resin printing that you guys have been doing here lately looks far better than the Shapeways stuff. That's one reason I have brought this up on this forum and also I have a few of these that I would rather upgrade them instead of trying to sell 'em and buy Atlas or Bachmann.

As to the walkway being printed that's a no, just need the pilot pieces. One thing also is that the pilot pieces are different from one another so they would need to be drawn up individually.
The cost is something I have no idea. One thing I can say is time is money and I understand that. So it would be up to whomever wants to try this.
Also I would send whomever the pieces and instructions as well as the frame/sill to take measurements from and test fit.

Jon

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3160
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 10:40:45 PM »
I'll design them if you can find someone to print the files. Do you have a picture of one installed?  PM me for pricing and mailing info if you wish to pursue.

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1238
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 04:49:45 PM »
I may have time tomorrow. I’ve got an Arnold S2 and some 1015 couplers, I’ll give it a go if I get the time.

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 10:07:57 PM »
Guys I want to thank you all for your offering to do this. Mark G. (narrowminded) is taking this on and hopefully he will be able to post up here as he works on this little project for me. One thing this project will do for me is too help push me along to complete this also!!  :D

Thanks Mark for taking this on its greatly appreciated. I know when it's done it will most likely be perfection!!

Jon

narrowminded

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 10:15:15 PM »
Parts arrived this afternoon.  They are in the printer now, a dozen sets. 8)  Let's hope they print OK. :)  If so, they may be on their way back tomorrow.

Those were pretty nice metal castings.  The steps were slightly different height dimension from the A side to B side as well as end to end on one side, I'm sure just tolerance in the masters.  I drew both ends with the best look showing a small gap from the face.  I also tightened up a few width dimensions.  All should be good but we'll know in an hour or so. :)
Mark G.

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 11:26:30 PM »
Wow Mark you sure work fast!!  :o :o

I'll be around all day tomorrow. Call if ya need.
Jon

narrowminded

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2019, 02:00:02 AM »
I think we're good to go.  Fits are quite good on the couple I've checked.  I will finish baking them, clear the screw holes, check the fit, bag 'em up, and ship 'em out! 8)  Maybe I'll even take a lousy picture and put it in weekend update. :D
Mark G.

narrowminded

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2019, 04:22:09 AM »
+5
Here you go Jon.  A dozen sets and your metal samples, coupler sample, and sample frame, boxed to go. 8) 

I was ready to change from printing to machining so figured I'd get them out while the printer was set up with resin in it.  It might have been weeks otherwise.  Here's a pic of the packaged parts, a dozen sets coming your way.  I kept the first single set run and one set of these finished.  Why, I don't know but maybe someday... :D 

They came out good.  Maybe you could get a nice assembled pic and post it as mine tend to be pretty lousy. ;)  They're washed, hole cleared out, ready to go.  Hope you like them. :)

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 04:29:50 AM by narrowminded »
Mark G.

narrowminded

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2019, 05:12:43 AM »
Wow Mark you sure work fast!!  :o :o
Jon

I'm retired. :)
Mark G.

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2019, 06:10:13 AM »
+1
Mark that is simply amazing how quickly this went. I can't wait to get my hands on them and try them out!!
I will be posting pictures for sure on the installation of them with some nice closeups.

Thank you so much for doing this, oh and I'll give you a call Saturday around 1300.

Jon

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2019, 07:04:52 PM »
+4
Well finally had some time to check the parts from narrowminded and they looked super!! The fit into the frame opening was perfect!! There
was though a change needed in the depth of them because it was interfering with the truck swing.
Changes have been made and on there way too me to try out. I will post them up here once I have them and test fitted.

Here's a couple close up shots comparing it to the Sunrise one.

Jon

narrowminded

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2019, 09:28:48 PM »
+1
Well finally had some time to check the parts from narrowminded and they looked super!! The fit into the frame opening was perfect!! There
was though a change needed in the depth of them because it was interfering with the truck swing.
Changes have been made and on there way too me to try out. I will post them up here once I have them and test fitted.

Here's a couple close up shots comparing it to the Sunrise one.

Jon

Thanks for the pics, Jon.  And a special thanks for not telling them what a very stupid mistake I made on the depth which put the back face and hole perfectly, within a couple of thousandths, a nice, even, .020" too far back.  If a mistake that inexcusable had gotten out on this board it would have been very embarrassing. :facepalm:  Your new pieces are on their way. 8) 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 09:34:18 PM by narrowminded »
Mark G.

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3160
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2019, 07:09:05 AM »
A design tip:

Always model in CAD from the attaching features out, then from that to other critical attaching/mating features.  You will eliminate this error state.